Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  01:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi my newly bought baby corn snake has had a shed and it hasn't come off the tip of it's tail completely I tried gently rubbing it off but it seems to be causing him much discomfort what do I do to get it off ? His tail looks crinkled and dying

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  01:42:54  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When you say it looks as if it is dying, has it turned black or brown in colour?

Try getting a bit of kitchen paper, dampened with luke warm water. fold it in half over the snakes tail, let the skin soak some of the water then allow the snake to run through it whilst applying a little pressure and it should come off. This is the method i have used when any of mine have retained shed and it has worked a treat every time.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  11:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long ago did he shed?

My snake also left behind the tip ot the tail when he shed so I used a method simlar to Danny suggested and it came off no problem.

I have to say though that his tail did not look like it was dying.
Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  19:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I only bought him a few days ago so don't know when he last shed but his tail has developed a sort of lump behind where it's been cut off I feed him today so I'll test out this kitchen towel method tomorrow thank you also any one know why he might not be drinking ? We'll I havent seen him drinking yet ?

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  20:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, that tail doesn't sound good. If he has retained the tail shed for a while then it can become tight and cause problems.

You wont be able to try the kitchen roll method tomorrow as you should leave him 48 hours after you have fed him or he may regurgitate his food.

Others may have more advice for you than I have as I am still a newbie myself really.

Oh and I have never seen my snake drink but I know he does. As long as he has clean water in with him, he will drink it so don't worry.

Edited by - Invalid User on 16/01/2011 20:06:22
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  20:29:08  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you've fed him you need to leave him for 48 hours however there are still a couple of things you can do.
1) Put his water in the warm end and
2) Add a hide to his home with some damp sphagnum moss in it.
Don't worry that you've not seen him dinking, he will be having a drink when he needs it.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 16/01/2011 20:30:05
Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2011 :  16:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry she didn't regurgitate her food it came out the other end !! All down my arm the cheeky little las I hope to take a few pictures of her and her viv as I just set it up how I wanted it and she's my first snake and viv I think it's come along nicely and she's such a good girl loves to be handled and is very calm in your hands yet she has an urge to explore everything every nook and crany :D

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  00:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ring the person you got it off and ask about the last shed, tell them about the tail and hopefully they'll be able to help you out. If it happened before you even got him they really should volunteer to sort out the problem for you, if they are a reptile shop or breeder they've probably dealt with this before and will be the best people to remove the stuck shed if the tail is being damaged.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  09:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As lotabob says,if she was sold to you with the tail this way then really they should help you out with this. Definitely worth getting in touch with them.
Good luck with your little snake,she sounds lovely. You've already passed the being pooped on milestone too!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  17:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got a few pictures of the beauty :D iv had her less then a week and she's already exploring her cage like a goodun I'll upload the pics later tell me what you think about her

Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  19:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do you even add photos to this>?

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  19:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14 try this

Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  20:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here she is

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  20:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, she's lovely.

How's her tail now?
Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  21:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still the same I think I'm going to wait till she sheds so I can catch it early as it lookks and feels very dry so I want to get a fresh shed and maybe it will come off if I help her out a little with the kitchen towel' method just for your info she's called crinkle because of her tail :p

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  21:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If possible try and get a pic of her tail so we can see. Might help us give you a bit more advice.

Cute name too :)
Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  22:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I'll try but as you can see my camera is terrible and she moves around liken the road runner!!

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  22:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not very knowledgeable on this but I would say that the stuck shed needs to come off ASAP, if its already causing damage to the tail its already too tight down there, waiting for another shed will just mean you have 2 stuck sheds on the tail. Get it soaked in a warm bath stright away or you'll be kissing the tip of the tail goodbye.

Soak in a warm bath or run through a damp towel or pillow case now see if you cant get the stuck shed off.

Also with her colouration are you sure its a stuck shed or just the colouration of the tail. A Pic would be good if only to educate people on what to look for.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Edited by - lotabob on 18/01/2011 22:39:35
Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  22:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No it's bits a shed sometimes flakes off and I tried the towel method already still nothing :/

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  23:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would soak in a bath then. I saw a burmese python that was having a terrible shed in a bath and it just came loose after 10 minutes and was gone after 20 minutes.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  23:29:22  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have a looky on the members map, see if there's anyone near you that has had experience with this sort of thing, they may be able to offer a hand.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000