Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  12:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is gona sound like a totaly silly question but i have been reading a lot about mites and to be honest i know nothing about them.
if anyone can answer my questions it would be great..

how do snakes get mites?
how can u spot mites?
how to rid a snake of them

sorry for silly questions
x

Edited by - gingerpony on 24/05/2009 23:29:33

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  15:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mites
ok this how to prevent them

1) Checking over any new snakes you bring into the collection very carefully, and checking the source.
2) Making sure you don't handle snakes at shops or friends houses unless you are sure they don't have mites, as they can be transferred this way.
3) Microwave or freeze the substrate you use. They can come in on the substrate but will die in the microwave or freezer.
4) If you add any decor, pour boiling water over it first. Even if you bought it from a shop, but especially if you take it from outside
this is what a mite looks like

You can tell if your snake has mites in a couple of ways. Mites are very small brown or black bugs that you can sometimes see on the snake or in the cage. Another way to tell is if your snake is suddenly soaking in its water dish all the time. Mites irritate the snake's skin under the scales so soaking in water helps to relieve that a little. If you're unsure whether or not your snake has mites, replace the bedding with paper towel and remove all decorations. Sometimes you'll be able to see small bugs on the paper towel within a few hours.

Another way to check for mites is to hold your snake and let it crawl through your hands. If you see anything moving or a spot on your snake that looks like a pile of pepper (Mites love to gather in the same spot) than your snakes has mites. If do not see anything on your snake, after handling him look very closely at your hands to see if there are any small black dots moving on your hands, if so your snake has mites

to get of em the best way is to use frount line
but diluted version

hope this helps

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2009 :  18:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thankss:D
i know this is silly but i jst wanted to know!
xxx

0.0.1 Snow Corn(Jeffrey)
0.1.0 Motley Stripe(Jorgia)
0.1.0 Motley (Storm)
0.2.0 Cats (Lola & Lilli)
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  19:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's a very good guide dilly

Might be worth in health section, make a how to spot and mites sticky
Go to Top of Page

muppet9976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  20:31:46  Show Profile  Click to see muppet9976's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and its not silly, anne, it is better to ask and be sure than to not ask because you think it is silly...

1.0.0 Amel Corn - Fluffy!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  20:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok ive finnished this off now
it's bit's and bobs i got from web sites to make this guide if your lucky some one will make it a sticky

please feel free to add and so on, after all it's here to help others

mites
ok this how to prevent them

1) Checking over any new snakes you bring into the collection very carefully, and checking the source.
2) Making sure you don't handle snakes at shops or friends houses unless you are sure they don't have mites, as they can be transferred this way.
3) Microwave or freeze the substrate you use. They can come in on the substrate but will die in the microwave or freezer.
4) If you add any decor, pour boiling water over it first. Even if you bought it from a shop, but especially if you take it from outside
this is what a mite looks like

You can tell if your snake has mites in a couple of ways. Mites are very small brown or black bugs that you can sometimes see on the snake or in the cage. Another way to tell is if your snake is suddenly soaking in its water dish all the time. Mites irritate the snake's skin under the scales so soaking in water helps to relieve that a little. If you're unsure whether or not your snake has mites, replace the bedding with paper towel and remove all decorations. Sometimes you'll be able to see small bugs on the paper towel within a few hours.

Another way to check for mites is to hold your snake and let it crawl through your hands. If you see anything moving or a spot on your snake that looks like a pile of pepper (Mites love to gather in the same spot) than your snakes has mites. If do not see anything on your snake, after handling him look very closely at your hands to see if there are any small black dots moving on your hands, if so your snake has mites

to get rid of them

Frontline is a powerful mite killer and is excellent to clean the viv and surrounding areas, this will kill any roaming mites and most eggs.. it will also provide a residue to help afterwards, however, make sure there is no fumey smell remaining before a snake is placed back in the viv. I personally would recommend only using frontline directly on your snake in a diluted form, as much as 50% if your the paranoid type, but not all people feel this is necessary. One method of applying it is to apply to a cloth and let the snake slither through it in your hand from head to tail, minding that none goes near the eyes or mouth. Also its best to remove the water bowl for a while after application in case the snake goes in the bowl and then drinks some water.

water bowls MUST be removed following treatment, frontline is toxic.. if the snake passed through the water, and later drinks it. it may die in agony

what don't work

Oil has been used which is smeared over with a cloth or the snake is bathed in it to starve the mites of air making them let go, or climb out of the scale their under. Seems a slightly messy idea, and would not rid your mite problem alone

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  20:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

that's a very good guide dilly

Might be worth in health section, make a how to spot and mites sticky

thx mate
i have finished it off now.
when i was doing it i had to stop because of work

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  23:28:09  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just a few minor things hun........
quote:
Originally posted by dilly415

best option is to bake substrate at 100*C+ for half an hour or so. freezing definitely isn't a good option - think how many bugs survive though our freezing cold winters
quote:

You can tell if your snake has mites in a couple of ways. Mites are very small brown or black bugs that you can sometimes see on the snake or in the cage.

... or in the water bowl.
quote:

Another way to check for mites is to hold your snake and let it crawl through your hands.

... or a light coloured towel.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  23:29:58  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
BTW, so good i've made it 'sticky'

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2009 :  23:46:27  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

BTW, so good i've made it 'sticky'

woop woop dilly's first sticky,nice one dilly,gives members an idea of what to do

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  00:02:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lee can you copy and paste your suggestions to add on to this thread so it's all together please hun

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  18:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a fabulous idea of mine...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  21:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another trick i use is
get your self a light coloured water bowl. you can norm see them when they drop and drown.

Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  15:53:34  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my snake has had some sort of mites before, but not the black parasitic mites that are seen in the description. my ones were small, and white and moved quite fast amongst the wood chippings. he has em a few times even on his body but i think these are just harmless wood mites. hes never had the black kind that suck on snakes blood

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  09:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You mention Frontline - is that the dog/cat one or is there a special reptile one? Kellog has mites and we do seem to be winning battle by just bathing and disintecting viv, but will obviously take longer to get rid of than if we used Frontline. xxx

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  16:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am gonna add my experience to this aswell. All the above methods are very good, especially the frontline, but its also extremely dangerous to use on the snake itself, I know of someone recently who did this and the snake died, that was diluted too, so be very careful.
I prefer not to use chemicals on the snake itself, I will frontline the tubs and vivs though. Whilst doing this its worth taking snakes out of neighbouring vivs or tubs, the vapour is potent!
Always make sure you get the corners, any little gaps, anywhere they can hide.
Generally the mites will lay their eggs off the snake, buts it not unheard of for them to lay under the vent scale. To get mites off the snake I use fairy liquid mixed with water, the fairy liquid destroys surface tension and the mites drown. If you use just water the mites have a better chance of survival because they can trap air with their hairs, providing them with enough air to survive.
As said above, the oil method does work, but is very messy and not as effective.
Frontlining the vivs gives you protection for upto about 3 months, and it kills on contact, so should any mites have eggs off the snake, as soon as they hatch they will die.
Its also worth spraying the carpet/floor around the base of any other vivs, this was the mistake I made, mites travel a surprising distance in a short time, and will quite happily traipse across an entire house for a meal.
The mites you generally see are large and black, these are females that have fed, the males do not feed and are small and almost clear, making them very hard to spot.
I have had great success with the fairy liquid method, its about as unintrusive method that works and you can see the success in the bottom of the tub!
The frontline is also the most potent method, but I personally do not recommend it used on the actual snake.

Judith, the frontline is normal cat and dog stuff. I know its prob too late, but hey ho!

Personally, I don't think you will ever truely win just by disinfecting, the disinfectant doesn't do anything once its dried, whereas frontline remains active.

Hth. Mike

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  16:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used frontline on my royal, worked a treat and he is just fine.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  18:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats great, it does work, i wont deny that, but i choose not to use it on the snake as i know of at least one that has died because of it.

I added some more info, but not sure where!
Anyways, male mites to feed, and the female doesn't have to mate to produce them, only females are the result of mating.
As for using frontline on the snake itself, 2 deaths directly linked is enough for me not to use it, having a couple of snakes that I paid 1k+ for, I am never gonna take the risk!
Water and fairy have never let me down yet, and I have treated a few!

Edited by - mikerichards on 01/03/2010 08:14:04
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2010 :  16:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If i see a mite in my collection i usually follow these steps:

1. Panic! Run around making it a bigger deal then it is.
2. Call the person i bought the last snake from as its probably where i got it in the first place. Most people tell you something like "No way, i never had mites in my life, so it has to come from someone else. Then they run to check their snakes and usually find some. They are happy you took the time to call them even though they wont ever admit it.
3. I order a culture of Hypoaspis miles and drop a tablespoon in each cage. 1-2 weeks later there are no mites anywhere.

Problem solved :)

Hypoaspis miles and the similar species, H. aculiefer are soil-dwelling, predatory mites that lives in the top ½ in layer of soil. As a natural predator of fungus gnat pupae and snail parasite Riccardoella Aspersa it is used by gardeners for biological pest control.
It also works great for snake & lizard mites, but here they wont attack the mites themselves, but the eggs and larva, preventing new generations to grow up.
Hypoaspis miles does not attack the snakes or even crawl up on them. They stay on or in the substrate.

Corns:
1.2 Butter, 1.1 Blizzard, 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Creamsicle, 1.2 Ghost, 1.2 Candycane, 1.2 Candycane - orange, 1.1 Caramel, 0.1 Snow, 1.0 Carolina stripe, 0.2 Amelanistic, 0.1 Carolina Motley, 1.1 Pewter, 1.0 Lavender

Cornsnake babies: OMGHI! im not even gonna try to keep up ;)

Others:
1.2 Great plains ratsnake (E.emoryi)

1.1 Ball python - Lesser platinum, 1.1 Ball python - Het pied, 1.1 Ball python - High contrast Albino

2.1 Chihuauha mountain kingsnake (L.p.knoblochi)

Edited by - n/a on 19/02/2010 16:08:50
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2010 :  16:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hypoaspis mites are the best no invasive method about as far as I know, cheaper than frontline too!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  13:51:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
for more info on the 'natural approach' to snake mites using hypoaspis mites have a look here:
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3018

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000