Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

esox
Egg

84 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  13:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my new hatchling rose doesnt seem to like the small exo terra hide as its such a wide opening, just wondering if there is a smaller hide with less of an opening on the market, or anything you could make one out of?

thanks.

corn, anery, fred

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  13:08:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
we improvise lots!!
small margerine tubs, toilet roll tubes, there's even a sticky topic in the DIY section about making your own hides out of dough or air drying clay

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

jimspook
Egg

77 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  13:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps try using a 'snake cave' had my corn since two months old and she is still in the same hide now 16mths on really cool looking piece of furniture as well, does help with thermo regulating also.

This is the small example (same as mine) 6.2" x 4.5" x 2.8" or 160mm x 115mm x 73mm

0.1.0 Normal CB09 - Artemis

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  15:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use eggbox lids at each end for my littler ones, seems to work a treat. Scrunched up newspaper is also good.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  15:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also use egg box lids and loo roll tubes :)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  15:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought one of those exo terra snake caves, they look great and in theory should be a big hit. The reality was Spot used it for about a week, its sealed at the bottom so it doesn't heat up very well. Caused a regurge due to been cold and then Spot just stopped using it. I've now given it to the baby boa etup as a cold end hide.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

jimspook
Egg

77 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  15:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

I bought one of those exo terra snake caves, they look great and in theory should be a big hit. The reality was Spot used it for about a week, its sealed at the bottom so it doesn't heat up very well. Caused a regurge due to been cold and then Spot just stopped using it. I've now given it to the baby boa etup as a cold end hide.

I do find that some days its warmer than others although the ambient room temperature hasn't fluctuated. I have a heat mat right underneath with a folded up flyer pressing the mat closer to the bottom of my faun, since doing this I have found it heats a lot better.

0.1.0 Normal CB09 - Artemis

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  16:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iv got half- coconuts for cold end hides in for the corns. their good cause the snake can curl up in them really snug and the entrance is quite small. quite cheep aswell!

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page

miss_mystra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  17:38:13  Show Profile  Visit miss_mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
coconut halves are a fave here... but the top one is the plastic cup things that the microwave-puddings you get come in... it means you can eat more pudding XD

i just burn a hole in the side so they can get inside. they're usually black so nice and dark inside for scaredy-hatchies

0.0.2 Corn Snakes - Betty (Anery) and Sanchez (Carolina)
1.0.0 - Royal Python - Chancho
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  18:16:47  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miss_mystra

coconut halves are a fave here... but the top one is the plastic cup things that the microwave-puddings you get come in... it means you can eat more pudding XD

good thinking batman lol
i use my silicon egg poacher cup, or flower pots
end of the day......only your imagination is the limit

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  19:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lrv2307

quote:

good thinking batman lol

Had to laugh at the silicone egg poacher cup idea,my daughter saw some when we last went out shopping and thought they were for putting on boobs!!
Toilet rolls cut in half lengthways work brill. I've used kiddies cups with a small arch cut out too. You'll be surprised what you can think up when you have a look about the house.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

esox
Egg

84 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  16:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

i just burn a hole in the side so they can get inside. they're usually black so nice and dark inside for scaredy-hatchies

you wouldnt know which brand puddings would you? went to morrisons and tesco today and could only find micro puddings that were clear

corn, anery, fred
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  16:42:43  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes yes! Puddings! :p I got to eat lots of coconut to amke my own cococnut hides too :P

Esox, if you want a purple one and something super yummy to eat...

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

esox
Egg

84 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  17:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers

even better when its cadburys

corn, anery, fred
Go to Top of Page

miss_mystra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  17:50:43  Show Profile  Visit miss_mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by esox

quote:

you wouldnt know which brand puddings would you? went to morrisons and tesco today and could only find micro puddings that were clear

i usually get the tesco ones - it's the chocolate melt in the middle one i always get mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

unless they have changed them to have clear pots now :s

0.0.2 Corn Snakes - Betty (Anery) and Sanchez (Carolina)
1.0.0 - Royal Python - Chancho
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  18:12:57  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That chocolate pudding looks delicious. How great that the container can be used for snakes too, must be an omen to eat more chocolate puds!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  18:31:47  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
also, try iceland frozen single puds lol

every time i go shopping i think.........what can i use for the snakes.......sod the food.......just the snakes lol

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  18:34:29  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

quote:
Originally posted by lrv2307

quote:

good thinking batman lol

Had to laugh at the silicone egg poacher cup idea,my daughter saw some when we last went out shopping and thought they were for putting on boobs!!
Toilet rolls cut in half lengthways work brill. I've used kiddies cups with a small arch cut out too. You'll be surprised what you can think up when you have a look about the house.

my king just loves her piece of hoover pipe lol

vioala......hoover pipe, and silicon egg poacher cup lol

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  19:42:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hha that egg pocher looks amazing! XD
I've just got some orange pipe that is used to keep cables together in the ground from my dad :P Like 5ft of it! Can't waot to clean it and cut it all up!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Mole
Hatchling

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  20:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just love the justification of eating chocolate puddings for the greater snake good!!! and also the hoover pipe idea, ooo will be in the garage looking for cool stuff for Striker to play with he he

1.0.0 corn snake Striker
1.0.0 dog Merlo
0.1.0 rabbit Sparkle
0.2.0 Cats Skid and Whizz
Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  22:31:19  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Give a snake a toilet roll tube:

And that is where he will stay, forever and ever and ever and ever XDDD All of mine have had tubes from toilet rolls, and all have preferred them over practically EVERYTHING else!! The new exception is for Ripley preferring his reed grass bird roosting pouch - come teepee - in the last month or so:

(Some more here; you can also see I use half coconuts, wood and of course, toilet roll!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Malhyanth/Real%20Life%20-%20Snakes/S7302153.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Malhyanth/Real%20Life%20-%20Snakes/S7302151.jpg)

I have something similar for Widget - a massive hanging basket that I cut a hole in. Its a bit big for him, I think - he always uses the exo-terra cave Conan's old owner gave me X3

(Some more; including teepee #2, cave, bowed wood and toilet rolls!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Malhyanth/Real%20Life%20-%20Snakes/S7302208.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Malhyanth/Real%20Life%20-%20Snakes/S7302207.jpg)

And some images of Conan's steps, just cos that is what he uses - he hardly ever uses his cave or his carved wood cave. He only uses his steps and his water bowl. He's so naughty!

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Malhyanth/Real%20Life%20-%20Snakes/S7302083.jpg)

So the moral of this story seriously is your snake's hides are only limited to what you see, and what you can do with it. My two RUB dwellers have toilet roll tubes and halves of coconuts only - can't actually fit anything else in those things XDD They wouldn't be able to travel as much as they do if I decked it out in plants and bits of wood! Those two LOVE to travel about and see what's going on!

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: