Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dtookey90
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  11:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I am wondering if anyone can help me
I have seen on other forums peoples temps vary and I don't know which is the right one for my cornsnakes
I am going to be using a habistat heat mat + a habistat thermostat but how do the mats heat up do they heat up the air or just what is on it I.e hides?
And what is the ideal viv temp as me and a friend are debating if they heat up the air how can there be a cool end?? Please someone help me

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  12:11:42  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The mats heat up whatever is in contact with them, so a little bit of substrate/hide/snake on the mat wil warm up.
Getting the mat to sit at about 29-29c will be the perfect temp, don't rely on the dial for the stat, it's always better to have a seperate digital probed thermometer that's attached to the thermostat probe to give better readings.
The way you get a cool end is by having a mat that is about a 3rd (half MAX) the size of the viv, so that the end without the mat will not get warmed up and will stay at room temp.

They don't heat up the air in a vented viv, if they were in a sealed container they might, but not in a viv.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  12:14:02  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
most mats work best with contact ie. they heat up the substrate/decor/snake sitting on top of them.
a matstat is an on/off type stat so there'll be some variation in warm-end temps, if you aim for say 28-29*C the mat will prolly switch on at 27'C and off at 30'C, which is fine for corns
the cool end temp is usually just the room's ambient temperature and not normally an issue for corns unless it's a particularly cold room. for boas however the cool end only wants to be about 5'C cooler than the warm end so heating the air eg. with a ceramic, IR, AHS or rep rad, is the best solution in this instance

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  12:15:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you beat me Kehhlyr lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  16:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jedi Powers. :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000