New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  21:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!

Just a quick question, is it possible to be HET for a selectively bred morph? It's frustrating enough people labelling standard genes as selevtively bred types just to get some credit/ extra £'s.. (diffused and bloodred is a good example- check Ians viv if you want to see a proper bloodred!)... But surely you can't be Het for s selevtively bred- it's just the gene itself? As in, if you bred out the selectively bred gene, the animal would just look like the normal homo gene?

I.e, is it impossible to be het for the following:

Candycane, RO, Bloodred, Sunglow, Zigzag, etc.

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  21:15:17  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good question! I can see where you're coming from with this.

Sorta like breeding a RO (amel) to a normal, so the offspring are normal het amel, and then breeding one of the offspring back to a RO, giving a mix of normals and amels, some of which might be RO's?

Or with the same initial pairing above, and breeding 2 of the offspring back together for normals, amel and RO hatchies?

I would think this might depend on the amount of inherited genes from the other snake...

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  22:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you're coming from the same direction :) I just think its misleading to label animals as Het for selectively bred morphs, unless those same selective patterns or colours can be brought out on the next breeding..

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  02:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Id have thought they wouldnt be het for it.
probably more likely to get it but its more a visual thing than genetic.
Its hard to explain what i mean cos i dont know the technical terms lol, but i think its more just breeding the nicest/brightest/highest standard snakes with each other to get the best offspring they can. Cos candycane is just a selectively bred amel, same as sunglow etc.

hope that made sense..

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  07:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep I follow you. I know the difference between genetics and selectively bred (when some on here don't!) But my question revolves more around whether you can keep the selectively bred elements (I.e. colours/patterns) as hets. My suspicion is that you can't, but I'm sure some people know more about the genetics on a fundamental level..

Oscar Morrell
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  13:14:01  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oakleyman18

Yep I follow you. I know the difference between genetics and selectively bred (when some on here don't!) But my question revolves more around whether you can keep the selectively bred elements (I.e. colours/patterns) as hets. My suspicion is that you can't, but I'm sure some people know more about the genetics on a fundamental level..

I know what you mean ..although an ro wouldnt breed true recessively your thinking would they retain some of the traits and youd get nicer looking amels if bred to an amel or het amel well id have thought they might be a lil less run of the mill but i think its just more luck of the draw than anything else

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  23:47:54  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no, it is not possible to be het for something that is selectively bred (or a locality/locality look) as its not one single on/off mendelian gene that is responsible.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  00:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic- good of you to wade in Eeji Thanks for clearing that up. I always thought it was suspicious when people say "het Reverse Okeetee" or something...

Oscar Morrell

Edited by - oakleyman18 on 02/06/2012 00:01:45
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  15:18:04  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
het RO can be just read as 'het amel'

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000