New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  18:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

hi,

Does anybody know what type of corn snake I have? I bought her in April, but never really asked what she was, I mainly chose her because she looked nice, and was advised she would be better for a first snake than a new hatchling as it was clear she fed well and i wouldnt have to worry about that. I didnt pay any extra for her or anything, i just agreed when the shop said she was a nice snake..

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  18:26:46  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
looks like a very pretty anery :)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  18:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anery
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  18:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anery, like my silver :)
Very nice.

whats her name?

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  19:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

She's called Esfa... pronounced like 'S for snake' :)

Just in the process of moving her into a vivarium and out of her faunarium at the moment, just a few last bits left to do :)

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  20:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats funny.
Mines called Espher. as in S for snake :/

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  20:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's strange lol

I wanted something a bit "manlier" however the girlfriend decided she was a girl and named her and there was no changing her mind.

I haven't actually found out her sex or anything but I suppose it won't do any harm?
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  20:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No its a pretty unisex name.
Im a little bit gutted though cos i thought id been really origional naming her that.. haha ah well!
At least we spell it differently ;)

I didnt know what sex my Espher was when i named her either

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  21:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nothing wrong with an anery! I've got 2 anery based morphs (anery and ghost), and hoping to get another...

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  21:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I was just looking at all the notes I took when I bought her and it says she is an anery with the possibility of lavender or charcoal in her.

I honestly don't really mind what type she is, it's been a learning curve all the same trying to care for my first snake lol I think she is a very nice looking snake. I've noticed a lot of nice looking snakes on here. I must admit either anery or the yellow corns are probably my favourite, but I've never really seen any thing more than in the pet shops

Shes currently in blue at the moment, well I'm guessing this as her eyes have gone from black to blue. She ha a bit of a rough shed last time with it coming off in hundreds of pieces, so this time I've made the tank more humid and avoided feeding her
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  21:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you can once her eyes go clear put a box/hide containing damp moss in the viv. normally does the trick with problem shedders.
she's a lovely anery

Go to Top of Page

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  21:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well last time her eye caps and head sort of came of first, then the top half came off in bits, then I had to help get the bottom half off her but that came off in one piece.

Is it sphagnum moss I put in the hide? And would I be better off putting this in her warm hide or her cool hide? Since she went into blue she has spent more time in her warm hide whereas her cool hide is usually her favourite.

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  22:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
spaghnum moss is fine and in the warm hide. your find she'll probably go in there straight away

Go to Top of Page

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  22:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great, would I have to keep the moss moist? Spray it with water or something? Cheers for your help
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  22:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no problem. if you use a box condensation builds up on the lid so it should stay damp enough until she sheds. my snakes normally shed 2-5 days after their eyes go clear

Go to Top of Page

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  22:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great then, I'll probably put in an extra hide or a make do hide and fill it with the moss when her eyes clear up.

It's probably come at the best possible time as I'm going away at the end of the month and I'm thinking of letting the local reptile or pet shop look after her, so at least it can be done before she goes
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  22:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hopefully she'll have a good shed

Go to Top of Page

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  16:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, so Esfa's eyes have cleared up now and gone back to normal. I went and bought the moss today. Would the best way be to put it in the current warm hide, or use an old plastic takeaway style tub and fill it with the moss and cut an entrance into it and just put that on top of the heat mat as well?

The warm hide has the thermostat probe and temperature probe inside it, will this make a difference to the thermostat reading if I put the moss in that? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  17:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
use the tub and replace the warm hide with that. really the two probes should be under the substrate directly on the mat. so they can go somewhere else in the warm end on the mat

Go to Top of Page

Scott-P
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  22:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought I'd let you know... I came to inspect esfa's tank around half an hour ago. Inside it behind one of her hides, there was a complete full shed. Sounds silly but I was so happy for her. She is being treated tomorrow to a new hide and some new plants and a nice fuzzy as she hasn't eaten since going into blue. I had a good hold of her and gave her a bit of an inspection, if I say so myself, her colouring looks amazing. I took about 30 pictures of her, although she is still camera shy...
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  10:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good to hear

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: