Ball pythons :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emmzi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
431 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  09:33:50  Show Profile  Click to see Emmzi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Heya everyone, I may be getting my first ball python soon and have been doing my research :) I have been looking to get one for ages now but held back until I had done research about them as I want to know as much as possible so I don't make any mistakes.

Does anyone who has owned a ball python before or knows a lot about them got any tips or anything about them that I should know?

Thankyou

Emma

1.0.0 amel corn (Dakota)
0.1.0 Anery Het Hypo Motley (Takara)
0.1.0 Ghost Het Motley (Galaxy)
1.0.0 Classic Corn (Archie)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Khan)
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Shibuki)

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  10:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have only had our royal/ball python since may/june of this year. They are addictive of course. I will say that not all of them are lazy as most people would believe. Ours is very active, always at night mind, never see him during the day. He loves climbing and I have spoken to others that keep them and they have said the same though of course not all of them are like this.
So I would say don't plan on just using a small viv or RUB for its entire life. Ours is only 7 months old and is fast out growing his 3ft viv which has surprised us.
You do need to make sure they have quite high ambient temperatures, I think this is where alot of people go wrong which contributes towards the fasting that a lot of royals do.
Get it feeding on rats as soon as possible or better still buy one that is already eating rats. Mice are a waste of time for royals. They seem to do better feeding on quite large prey items, some will often refuse a rat that is to small as far as they are concerned and will happily eat a larger item.
You will fall in love with this species I can assure you :)

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  10:36:10  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Totally agree avoid any royal being fed on mice they dont really give them the nutrition they need and are a pain to switch they are great characters and obviously a lot slower than corns making them easier to handle plus they grow into a nice heavy bodied snake that is easily managable even for a novice things you should know hmm...i highly reccomend you join the sister site to this theroyalpython.co.uk awesome site and a great bunch of people on there :-)

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Emmzi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
431 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  10:41:51  Show Profile  Click to see Emmzi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awwh thank you guys :) yeah I am looking at one on rats, i am building some vivs at the moment and will probably make him one too that will be a bit bigger than my corns vivs :) i have just registered on the royal python forum so will be on there soon :)

1.0.0 amel corn (Dakota)
0.1.0 Anery Het Hypo Motley (Takara)
0.1.0 Ghost Het Motley (Galaxy)
1.0.0 Classic Corn (Archie)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Khan)
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Shibuki)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page