Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

daniel_gilly
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2013 :  21:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive attacthed it to the thermometer sensor if that is the correct place to put it
Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2013 :  22:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Georgina

They will and should feel cold when you touch them ;) as their hotspot should be lower than our body temp :).

Sorry for the slightly off-topic reply, but I felt like I had to correct this :p. While our core body temperature will always be hotter than the snake's hotspot temps, your hands might be a lot colder than that, so it's actually possible for your snake to feel warm ;)

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)
Go to Top of Page

harry Cornelius
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  21:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is shocking to see that so many people are being ill advised, i too was told stats were not needed only Christmas, once again this forum or rather it's members have come to the rescue. But why are so many shops giving out this bad advice ?

1.0.0 Carolina - Harry Cornelius
1.0.0 Irian Jaya jaguar carpet python- Monty
0.1.0 cat - Bella
0.0.1 fish - Justin beiber
Go to Top of Page

daniel_gilly
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  21:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know you would think that they would give you the correct advice to make sure that you keep coming back to them

Edited by - daniel_gilly on 14/01/2013 22:00:52
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2013 :  03:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what is available in the uk/europe but there are mats available over here that max out at 29c.

Not to down play the need for a 'stat but the borderline panic about a mat plugged in without one seems a little ... (remember chicken little?)

ETA: I have this mat on my Kitty's home and even unstatted on a warm day I never saw it go above 28c. I bought the 'Desert' version for Monster's setup because the 'Rainforest' was not getting up to hot side temps when I had the windows open in my room during the fall.

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/heat_wave_rainforest.php

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248

Edited by - Thorne Walker on 15/01/2013 04:09:41
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2013 :  20:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thermostats are necessary no matter what. This is what can happen if not using a thermostat and the following pics are of an exo terra mat. I would like to point out to those who do not know. This mat came with a snake that I rescued.

PLEASE NO MATTER WHAT YOU GET TOLD OR READ ALWAYS USE A THERMOSTAT FOR THE SNAKES SAFETY AND YOURS.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2013 :  22:01:16  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Or put the heat mat on the outside of the viv as I always have...

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
1.0 Caramel Stripe het Amel - Vladimir.
0.1 Normal het Amel, Caramel, Hypo - Amara.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
1.0 Masque Anery het Amel, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, lavender, Stripe - Orion.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
1.0 Yellow Rat Snake - Leviathan(Levi)
Western Hognoses
1.0 Normal 50% poss het Frosted(Dutch Hypo, Caramel) - Thorne.
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
1.0 Anaconda het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Titan.
0.1 Normal het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Nyx.
R.I.P Pandora & Sakana, entwined in my heart forever my darlings.

Edited by - AcidicAngel on 16/01/2013 22:01:54
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2013 :  22:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

Thermostats are necessary no matter what. This is what can happen if not using a thermostat and the following pics are of an exo terra mat. I would like to point out to those who do not know. This mat came with a snake that I rescued.

PLEASE NO MATTER WHAT YOU GET TOLD OR READ ALWAYS USE A THERMOSTAT FOR THE SNAKES SAFETY AND YOURS.

That mat was inside the viv? IMO we're probably looking at water damage causing a short.

Have you tried plugging it in to see what temp it gets to?

If it did short a stat might not have prevented that failure. If the mat was cold the stat would give it juice and the short could continue to do damage.

**Note I still consider a stat + powerbar to be essential equipment.

Edited by - Thorne Walker on 16/01/2013 22:18:02
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2013 :  13:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thorne Walker

quote:

That mat was inside the viv? IMO we're probably looking at water damage causing a short.

Have you tried plugging it in to see what temp it gets to?

If it did short a stat might not have prevented that failure. If the mat was cold the stat would give it juice and the short could continue to do damage.

**Note I still consider a stat + powerbar to be essential equipment.

Yes this mat was being used inside the viv. I doubt it was caused by water damage as the bowl the snake had was quite small and had thick sludge on it so not like it was given fresh water on a daily, weekly or possibly even monthly basis. The bottom of the wooden viv underneath where the heatmat had been positioned also had some quite large scorch marks.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2013 :  13:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcidicAngel

You can only do this with glass terrariums or Plastic tubs though and even then you will still need a thermostat to control it.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2013 :  17:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes this mat was being used inside the viv. I doubt it was caused by water damage as the bowl the snake had was quite small and had thick sludge on it so not like it was given fresh water on a daily, weekly or possibly even monthly basis. The bottom of the wooden viv underneath where the heatmat had been positioned also had some quite large scorch marks.

Despite having said water I was truly thinking... poop.

Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2013 :  19:07:33  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You can only do this with glass terrariums or Plastic tubs though and even then you will still need a thermostat to control it.

Mines currently not on a stat and is under a wooden viv with polystyrene between the viv and heat mat and between the heat mat and wooden stand...

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2013 :  19:43:08  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Mines currently not on a stat and is under a wooden viv with polystyrene between the viv and heat mat and between the heat mat and wooden stand...

What if it was to fail? You haven't got anything to help protect your snake or your home, if mats fail that are plugged into a stat the stat is designed as such that it should cut power to the mat and avoid it possibly causing a fire (or cooking snakey). Just because it has not happened yet doesn't mean it can't happen especially as a £20/£25 stat will eliminate the risk.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2013 :  20:58:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

If I am reading this correctly. You have your heat mat underneath your wooden viv not inside the viv. This is totally wrong for a wooden viv. Wood blocks the heat. Having the mat underneath the viv is not benefiting the snake either. This is also potentially a fire hazard. Your heat mat should be inside the wooden viv on the floor with nothing on top of the mat other than a small amount of substrate and a hide along with the stat probe and digital thermometer secured to the top of the mat not on top of the substrate.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2013 :  21:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Donnie
What if it was to fail? You haven't got anything to help protect your snake or your home, if mats fail that are plugged into a stat the stat is designed as such that it should cut power to the mat and avoid it possibly causing a fire (or cooking snakey). Just because it has not happened yet doesn't mean it can't happen especially as a £20/£25 stat will eliminate the risk.

A stat will not protect from all failure modes and you're presuming that there is no smoke detector in AA's home.

If mat's fail in such a way that the stat probe is not being heated then the stat will continue to supply power up to the cut off point. In the case of the Reptitherm unit that I have my mat's connected to it 500w which is more then enough power to cause a fire/damage to my home/harm to my pets.

@AcidicAngel: Why the poly? if the mat does overheat during a failure the poly will quickly become fuel for the fire and could make things much worse.

Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2013 :  21:29:12  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

A stat will not protect from all failure modes and you're presuming that there is no smoke detector in AA's home.

Yes I agree that it will not protect from all failures but it will do against some which to me is much better than having no protection at all and you can have all the smoke detectors in the world but you cannot be home 100% of the time to hear them (unless you are some sort of crazy hermit )

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2013 :  22:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes I agree that it will not protect from all failures but it will do against some which to me is much better than having no protection at all and you can have all the smoke detectors in the world but you cannot be home 100% of the time to hear them (unless you are some sort of crazy hermit )

So you're anti smoke detector because in some situations it won't help but pro stat because in some situations it will?

I'm confused.

Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2013 :  22:26:46  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

If mat's fail in such a way that the stat probe is not being heated then the stat will continue to supply power up to the cut off point. In the case of the Reptitherm unit that I have my mat's connected to it 500w which is more then enough power to cause a fire/damage to my home/harm to my pets.

@AcidicAngel: Why the poly? if the mat does overheat during a failure the poly will quickly become fuel for the fire and could make things much worse.

I was actually told that if I was going to have the heat mat under the viv to have it with polystyrene between the mat and any wood as it would set fire to the wood...? Am I actually making it worse with the poly there? Btw, the mat is only 12 watt and even under the viv it heats the viv up to 28-30C during the day(depends on how cold the rest of the room is) and 25-27C during the night. I am working to get a stat but not all of us can afford it really. £15 a week is not a lot when I have to save up for a new viv to separate the 2 corns I have as I wasn't told to do so by the rep shop near me. Plus I need 2-3 stats. I'm also down in money at the moment as I'm paying my mum for something so yes. I am actually looking for a job but currently no luck. Not everyone can afford to spend £20-£25 on a stat straight away. I can't help that I was never told to keep them on a stat till I got on here, I was watching one on eBay but that went for £30 and it was second hand. The rep shop near me does them at £35 for Ministat 100's which is what I'd need. I may be able to get one from my partners work place as they know me and may do it at Trade + VAT + 10% but even then it'll be more than I can afford currently.

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
Western Hognoses
0.1 Frosted - Rose.

Edited by - AcidicAngel on 17/01/2013 22:28:55
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2013 :  22:27:16  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No i'm very much pro both. You said that I was presuming that AA had no smoke detectors in the house which I assume was in responce to me saying that " You haven't got anything to help protect your snake or your home". I was not talking specifically about home fire protection but was saying that not having a stat on a heat source may put your home at risk due to it failing and catching fire and burning your house down.

Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2013 :  22:29:45  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I was actually told that if I was going to have the heat mat under the viv to have it with polystyrene between the mat and any wood as it would set fire to the wood...? Am I actually making it worse with the poly there? Btw, the mat is only 12 watt and even under the viv it heats the viv up to 28-30C during the day)depend son how cold the rest of the room is) and 25-27C during the night. I am working to get a stat but not all of us can afford it really. £15 a week is not a lot when I have to save up for a new viv to separate the 2 corns I have as I wasn't told to do so by the rep shop near me. Plus I need 2-3 stats. I'm also down in money at the moment as I'm paying my mum for something so yes. I am actually looking for a job but currently no luck. Not everyone can afford to spend £20-£25 on a stat straight away. I can't help that I was never told to keep them on a stat till I got on here, I was watching one on eBay but that went for £30 and it was second hand. The rep shop near me does them at £35 for Ministat 100's which is what I'd need. I may be able to get one from my partners work place as they know me and may do it at Trade + VAT + 10% but even then it'll be more than I can afford currently.

My email address is on my profile, send me an email with your address and I will post you a spare stat I have.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000