Fire alarm, smoke detector
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Criminal Nails
Hatchling

Spain
275 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2013 :  09:44:36  Show Profile  Visit Criminal Nails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey there,

I suppose we've all seen the picture posted on another thread of the burned room, vivs and animals due to the failure of a heat mat. I will be straight forward and confess that I have gone nuts about it.

I am renting a flat, I have no insurance policy for civil liability because I spend most of the time at work and only come back to sleep and spend the weekends. So, if a fire started (due to my mat, which is of the printed type [hello Karma]) I wouldn't notice and everything could burn before I came home...

I am thinking on buying a smoke detector (IKEA sells one) but again the problem is I won't hear the alarm because I won't be home (the neighbours will, probably, which is a good starting point).

Do you have smoke detectors at home? If so, which ones (brand, store and functionning system)? And honestly, am I losing it?

Thanks!

Criminal Nails .-
0.0.1 Ghost Corn (Discordia)
0.1.0 Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Furia)

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2013 :  10:30:15  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ring ya local fire brigade community saftely department they will come look about and fit some for free.. although I would also have a word with landlord as he may well be legally obliged to provide them.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2013 :  11:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've fitted one in my snake room, and I'm thinking of getting a small CO2 extingisher as well. Better safe than sorry...

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2013 :  16:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would talk to your land lord. He should have fitted them.

1.1.0 Jim Caramel Tessera, Rosie Motley
Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2013 :  17:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My recommendation would be a combo unit:

quote:
Windsor Fire & Rescue Services says

There are two types of technologies used in smoke alarms to detect the presence of smoke or the products of combustion. Smoke alarms will employ one or both of these types of technologies. Each type of detector has its advantages and disadvantages.

When properly installed and maintained, both types of alarms alert you to a fire and save lives. As in all things relating to your family’s safety, buy the highest quality smoke alarm your budget will allow. Do not select a detector based solely on its low cost.

Ionization smoke alarms activate more quickly for fast, flaming fires with little visible smoke.

Ionization smoke alarms use a small amount of radioactive material that ionizes the air between two electrically charged plates, causing a current to flow between the plates. When smoke enters the chamber, it changes the flow of current, which is detected and activates the alarm.

Advantages:

Cheaper than other types of smoke alarms
Very good with fast flaming fires with little visible smoke
Suitable for general use
Less prone to false alarms due to dust and steam

Disadvantages:

Very susceptible to nuisance alarms due to cooking
May be slow to respond to slow smouldering fires
Contain radioactive material

Photoelectric smoke alarms are particularly more responsive to smouldering fires and the dense smoke given off by foam-filled furnishings.

A photoelectric (optical) smoke alarm “sees” the smoke. Smoke entering the sensing chamber reflects light onto the sensor, which triggers the alarm. Because large particles have much more surface area than small particles, a photoelectric smoke alarm is more sensitive to the large smoke particles produced in a smouldering fire.

Advantages:

Good for smouldering fires and dense smoke
Not as prone to cooking nuisance alarms
Contain no radioactive material
Suitable for general use

Disadvantages:

Prone to nuisance alarms from dust and insects – must be kept clean
More expensive

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2013 :  18:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't say what brand of smoke alarm but I do have one in every room inparticular the lounge where most of the snakes are kept. In this room the alarm is right above the vivs. I also have two fire extinguishes one upstairs and one downstairs. Whether you have snakes or not you should have smoke alarms they could save your life.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2013 :  18:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As others have said, smoke alarms are a must. Even if you don't keep snakes. Plus I would seriously consider replacing your heat mat with the other type (not printed as they are more commonly faulty).

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Criminal Nails
Hatchling

Spain
275 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2013 :  19:24:34  Show Profile  Visit Criminal Nails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your replies!

The thing is, for what I've seen, in Spain a landlord is not legally compelled to provide smoke detectors. So I won't go there.

But I will definitely buy one (thanks Thorne Walker for the detailed explanation) and put it above the viv. Aaaaand I will also change my heat mat to a safer one :)

Better safe than sorry.

Criminal Nails .-
0.0.1 Ghost Corn (Discordia)
0.1.0 Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Furia)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2013 :  09:55:03  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As other people have said about asking your landlord, sometimes they are legally suppose to have them, it depends on if there is an agency as the middle man and where the location/type of housing it is I think. But really, it's in the best interest for the landlord to have on, means that someone will call the firemen before most of the house get damage in an unlucky event.

I only sleep and spend weekends in my flat too, I have two alarms which tell everyone else near me when I have something on the grill or when the toaster is being used.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

GRBrett
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2013 :  13:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to work in a laboratory that tested smoke alarms but I can't add anything that hasn't be said already. What I will say is that all electronics for sale in Europe (including your Heatmat) SHOULD be CE marked. That is to say that it has been rigorously tested in a lab (such as BSI, Intertek, UL e.t.c) and conforms to european safety standards so it will be failsafe. If it doesn't have a CE mark don't buy it as it maybe be a cheapo chinese copy that isn't necessarily safe. This applies to all things electronic or that can have an impact on your health and safety (fire alarms included). Of course follow instructions etc.

I haven't seen the other thread but would be interesting to see the cause and if a product investigation was initiated.

Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2013 :  16:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regardless of what your local laws say about the responsibility of your land lord...

Your safety is ultimately Your responsibility.

I have both an extinguisher and a combo detector that moves with me from house to house and IMO everyone should do likewise.

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000