Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DiffBrookes
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  21:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Clark was born in July 2012, he feeds fine never had a problem, he's 24 inches long and weighed 57grams two weeks ago.
I feed him two fuzzies every Monday like I have been doing for a few weeks before but in the last two weeks he has gone from 57 grams to 73!, it was 67 last Friday and I just weighed him again and he's 73.
Is this weigh gain normal?
I've noticed he is a lot bigger but is he fat? Am i over feeding or is it a case of my scales being incorrect.

Help please I'm sure there is no weight watchers for snake or low calorie mice

jenjen23
Hatchling

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  21:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basil did much the same, I weighed him on the 9th of jan at 45g, by the 10th of feb he was 72g! I think he is over 100g now (due a weigh in), and he has just turned 1 year. What everyone seems to say is that they grow at their own rate. There seems to be lots of variation, even between babies from the same clutch. Someone who knows a bit more feel free to correct me, but i'm not sure they can be fat whilst they are growing rapidly, but if you are over-feeding then that can be harmful. If you are feeding a normal regime i'm sure it is just a growth spurt!

0.0.1 Normal Cornsnake, 2 years old - Basil
0.1.0 Crawl Cay Boa, 1.5 years - Luna
Go to Top of Page

DiffBrookes
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  22:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I'm pretty sure I'm not over feeding I feed every Monday and he poops on Thursdays, it's like clockwork. That's why u weighed him today after a poo
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2013 :  12:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think what you're seeing is the growth of a lovely, healthy snake Chris . It's not surprising that Clark has put on more weight with you now feeding him double fuzzies. I think he could probably move up to fluffs now, if you wanted him to. Checkout the VERY ROUGH feeding guide It gives you some hints about feeding, but is only a ROUGH guide.

As jenjen mentioned, snakes do grow at very different rates, even those from the same clutch and fed exactly the same. You may find this How big should my snake be? interesting as it shows this fact very well.

Well done for making sure you weigh Clark when he's 'empty' . I weigh mine immediately before feeding them, as its a regular time to weigh them and I know they're 'empty'.....except for Asher, who regularly messes up his weights by not going for weeks .

It sounds like you're doing really well with Clark ....and make sure you keep asking questions if you need to.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2013 :  17:52:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Little snakes don't tend to get fat :p you'd notice the bum if they did though lol, looks like they always need a poo!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000