Revised buying list
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  01:46:13  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, although I still haven't decided whther to get the 2 free Corn snakes in December, I will definitely will be getting one so I am getting all the equipment ready.

Here is my revised buying list;

Exo Terra Funarium 18"x 12"x 6 1/2"
Habistat Heat Mat 7w 6" x 11"
Micro Climate Mini Stat 100
Exo Terra Digital Thermometer
2-3 Hides
Water Dish Small
OPTIONAL

Bendable jungle vine
Plant decoration/cover

For those that commented on my Intro post
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5305&SearchTerms=Corn br /
I thank you, I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

FAUNARIUMS
I have listed the larger flatter Faunarium but I was looking at 2, the other being shorter in length but taller 14 1/2" x 8 1/2" x 10", so which one would be better? The recommended size being the sides and front = length of snake, so either of these are a little big, but I don't have any idea of how fast they grow, so I don't want to have to start real small and keep upgrading as it gets bigger. From a hatchling, what sort of size can I expect it to grow in say.. about a year? As fauns don't have opaque walls I was thinking of covering 3 sides of it with cardboard or something so the snake actually feels secure, or wouldn't this be necessary? I'm also concerned about wire inlets or outlets, from the iahes of the Exo Terra range I can't see any, so how are you guys 'n' gals inserting the wires while keeping the lid secure? From what I can make out the Therm sensor would need to go inside on top of the substrate for an accurate reading, and also the stat probe for accurate control of the mat.

SUBSTRATE
I'll be using paper towels while the Corn is a hatchling, but I was also thinking of adding some shredded paper for it to burrow into, just another place to hide if necessary. Or is this not be recommended?

HannahB I checked out that link you gave me in my other thread, thanks. Unfortunately that place is up north, and dearer than my local RC. Now if I don't get one for free off my friends son in law I will go for my local RC. They do Common Corns for around £42 up to £125 for a Blood Red. Again, phases and Morphs I am still fuzzy on, so a little more reading is in order.
QUESTIONwhat does [COLOUR] Motley or Motley Het mean?

MY LEOPARD GECKO UPDATE
If anyone is interested my Keo is doing great, I've handled her a coouple of times so far. But the first timewas accidental, you're supposed to leave them for a couple of weeks before handling, but I had my hand in the viv to capture an uneaten cricket and she ran up my arm to my shoulder, lol, and that was only 3 days after I got her, So I figured she is settled. She is too young to sex, but for now I'm calling her a her as that is what I am hoping. She is fearless and greedy. She had her first shed (that I have saw) today, I didn't think she knew where her humid hide was, but after posting in a forum I turned round and she went in, lol. I'll be checking to make sure the shed has come off her feet later tonight ot tomorrow.

Regards
Mick

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  03:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

Micro Climate Mini Stat 100

I personally prefer Habistat mat stats, i have had problems with Micro Climate.

FAUNARIUMS
I'm also concerned about wire inlets or outlets, from the iahes of the Exo Terra range I can't see any.

The Exo Terra faunarium i have (although it is only used as a backup enclosure) has a hole in the corner of the lid designed for wires.

SUBSTRATE
I'll be using paper towels while the Corn is a hatchling, but I was also thinking of adding some shredded paper for it to burrow into, just another place to hide if necessary. Or is this not be recommended?

Paper towels and shredded paper is perfectly fine, although for my baby snakes i personally use a hemp product called Aubiose which is designed for horses. I only pay £10 for a huge 20kg bale from a local horse food supplier.

QUESTIONwhat does [COLOUR] Motley or Motley Het mean?

To the best of my knowledge, colour motley means that the snake is homozygous for the motley gene and it is therefore visible as the motley patternation, whereas het means heterozygous and would indicate that while the snake has the motley gene it is recessive and not visible... although if the snake breeds with another snake that is heterozygous for the motley gene it could produce homozygous motley snakes. Although i am sure somebody will correct me on this at some point!

Edited by - n/a on 19/09/2009 03:25:15
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  23:02:21  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I should be ordering my Corn Snake setup up tomorrow night hopefully, if not then definitely this week. I was looking at the 888 Reptiles setup for £56.94 but with a few alterations.

Exo Terra Large Flat Faunarium 46 x 30 x 17cm
Komodo Heat Mat 7w 18 x 28cm
Komodo Thermostat 300w
Exo Terra Digital Thermometer (the strip thermometors to be removed)
1 x Exo Terra Hide (Already have a Sanke Cave so only need 1 more hide)
1 x Exo Terra Water Dish Medium (changed this from a small as I don't think a hatchling would be able to bether in the small one)
1kg Aspen Bedding

You get the bedding but I reckon I will use paper towels

I sent an email to them asking for a new quote on it, although I have already sent one a few days ago with no reply , I'll also ask my local RC if they will consider a price match.
Then all I have to do is wait until December to see what colour these hatchkings will be, or if I can't wait then get one sooner, lol.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  00:07:31  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
motley is a morph that affects the saddle pattern, joining them together to make the background colour appear as circles: http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/motley

het motley means that the motley gene was only inherited from one parent so isn't a visible morph because it is recessive to the normal pattern

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

infernogal
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  14:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What size hides small or medium?
Go to Top of Page

infernogal
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  14:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What size hides small or medium?
Go to Top of Page

carmil07
Hatchling

United Kingdom
158 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  21:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what size snake are you getting infernogal. I got a baby and have small hides

0.0.1 Carolina corn snake - Ruby
0.2.0 moggie cat's - Stella & Matilda

Edited by - carmil07 on 25/04/2013 21:32:40
Go to Top of Page

infernogal
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2013 :  21:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well im guessing a baby corn would have a small hide till its bigger?
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2013 :  00:34:42  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yep u could buy a hide or for baby's people use things like halfed toilet room tubes etc

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000