New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

asmodias
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2013 :  21:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently my one of my smaller males name Kaar has been acting oddly. Whenever he comes into contact with his partner (who he's been with his whole life, no problems) or sometimes without any apparent reason he gets jumpy. His movement seems to go in jumps.
It's sort of hard to explain, he does a little forward motion, stops, forward, stops, forward, etc.
The closest thing I can think to describe it is... well... if you've ever played a first-person shooter online and you got a lag spike, it's much like that.
It's sort of like a spasm, but controlled and I have no idea what it could be. He eats, poops, and sheds fine but it's somewhat puzzling.

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2013 :  21:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is a reason for it, hes trying to get jiggy with her. Males do this to the females before breeding.

Go to Top of Page

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2013 :  21:45:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's odd, isn't it XD Scared the daylights out of me when I first saw Diego doing it, thought he had some kind of brain damage. It's normal though in males at this time of year, don't worry about it :p

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page

asmodias
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2013 :  21:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

there is a reason for it, hes trying to get jiggy with her. Males do this to the females before breeding.

In that case, I may have the first homosexual corn snake.
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2013 :  22:00:45  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not necessarily, they do it without being around a female :)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

mjpeters
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2013 :  22:28:57  Show Profile  Click to see mjpeters's MSN Messenger address  Send mjpeters a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asmodias

quote:
Originally posted by gmac

In that case, I may have the first homosexual corn snake.

Now don't get them lined up for a civil partnership just yet!in lots of species males try it on with each other -especialy when there are no ladies around
Go to Top of Page

AcidicAngel
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2013 :  22:52:12  Show Profile  Click to see AcidicAngel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Or... You could possibly have a male and female unless they've both been proven male through breeding in the past Males can probe as female and females can probe as male. Popping is also inacurate as a male can hold his hemipenes in. Just a warning. My girl Sakana was originally probed as male and her cage mate(when my uncle had her) was probed as female when they are actually the other way round Sakana is with me and her cage mate(also her brother) is still owned by my uncle. Sakana has however just laid me some nice healthy eggs after being bred to my butter male

Corn Snakes.
1.0 Butter - Cereus.
1.0 Caramel Stripe het Amel - Vladimir.
0.1 Normal het Amel, Caramel, Hypo - Amara.
0.1 Masque het Amel, Anery, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, Lavender, Stripe - Aurelia.
1.0 Masque Anery het Amel, Charcoal, Diffused, Hypo, lavender, Stripe - Orion.
Leopard Gecko's.
Too many to list!!
Rat Snake.
1.0 Yellow Rat Snake - Leviathan(Levi)
Western Hognoses
1.0 Normal 50% poss het Frosted(Dutch Hypo, Caramel) - Thorne.
0.1 Frosted - Rose.
1.0 Anaconda het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Titan.
0.1 Normal het Snow(Amel, Anery) - Nyx.
R.I.P Pandora & Sakana, entwined in my heart forever my darlings.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2013 :  08:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It definitely sounds like breeding behaviour, my male does something similar when he's horny .

I'm with AcidicAngel....unless you've bred from Kaar then don't assume he's male. One of mine was probed as male and a couple of months later laid unfertilised eggs . Definitely NOT male! Personally I would separate them, otherwise you might land up with some unexpected babies !!

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000