New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarajoanne
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  21:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My one year old female has stopped eating, she loves food and just stopped two weeks ago. Temp of the viv is fine, she wants to come out every evening and taps the glass to come out and very lively snake. Just really puzzled why she has stopped? When I handle her she wants to curl up , almost wanting affection??? Or a cuddle....and let's you stroke her under her chin, really lovely. Should I be worried she has stopped eating please let me know as I'm worried. Xx

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  22:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How sure are you it's female? My males been off his food for 2 months now because it's breeding season.

Otherwise, if she's healthy there's no need to worry right away, snakes can go a while without eating.

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page

Sarajoanne
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  22:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got her from a pet shop in a garden centre, was told when I purchased her she was a female, but I guess they can get it wrong. They get the snakes from suppliers but would they be able to tell accurately when they are 1 year old if male or female?
Go to Top of Page

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  22:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should be able to, they can pop or probe them but might be an idea to get a second opinion :p

Have a look at this topic, full of great advice on non eating corns, although as I said, 2 weeks is nothing yet....
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  07:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It certainly sounds like breeding behaviour Sara....the going off her food and being more active than usual. Females can display that behaviour as well as males, and when a snake is sexed it isn't always accurate....Silvi was probed as male and a couple of months later laid slugs, infertile eggs ! Definitely NOT male .

To be honest, unless you're planning on breeding, it isn't vital to know the sex. It's quite stressful on the snake, the journey and the process....so personally I feel it's unnecessary, although I do understand why some people want to know whether their snake is a he or a she.

Do you know how much she weighs? It's a good idea to keep a record of that, as well as shedding dates, when you feed her and what, health issues, etc.

All you can do is keep offering her food on her normal feeding day. Don't offer it to her more regularly, as that will only stress her. You can try giving her a smaller prey item than she's used to....I've just got Kellog feeding, since he stopped at the end of February, by giving him small mice (he's normally on large). This is worth a read, to make sure there isn't any other reason for her not eating and to give you some hints on how to tempt her - Guide to non-feeding snakes

Hope that helps.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  07:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try not to worry. I know it's hard not to. We have a fussy feeder Cola eats one week then not for three or four weeks. Then will eat for a couple on the run then stop for a month. It's a pain and is worrying but as long as they are healthy and moving and not losing weight you will just have to go along with her way of eating. It's not helped when people talk about there's strike feeding all the time (jealous of that lol) as I think why won't mine do it. But they are still basically wild animals and will eat when they want to. Try not to worry and keep trying.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  10:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tk72

.........It's not helped when people talk about there's strike feeding all the time (jealous of that lol) as I think why won't mine do it. But they are still basically wild animals and will eat when they want to. Try not to worry and keep trying.

I totally understand tk72, all this talk, and pictures, of snakes striking and coiling....I'm just happy if mine eat !!

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sarajoanne
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  21:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for all your advise, feel much better after reading all of the messages, thanks again. Xxx
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2013 :  09:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No need for the thanks Sara, it's what the forum is here for . I'm glad you're feeling better about it all. PLEASE don't hesitate to ask if you have any more worries....we go by the rule that the only silly question is the one you don't ask !

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sarajoanne
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  20:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news, got my corn snake to eat at last. No problems, she was out and about this morning in her viv and kinda guessed she was hungry. Really happy that she has eaten. Was worried so much, rubbed the mouse all over a rat that I had for my royal python and was very aggressive when normally is so gentle. She was that quick she made me jump out of my skin, so unexpected...lol
She has been out and about all the time" breeding time", oh yes defo for her. She out at 7am has a small nap then out again in the afternoon and has another short nap then by 5pm tapping the glass to come out, she comes out on her own. Just can't stopped her...he he
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2013 :  13:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad to hear that your corn has eaten Sara . I know what a relief it is when that happens....even though you know that it's totally natural that they aren't eating, you can't help but worry.

Good thinking with rubbing the mouse over the rat, she obviously appreciated it .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000