Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  18:03:29  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As a owner of a cornsnake you may encounter times when your snake wont eat,this can be for a number of reasons and the most important thing to remember is dont panic.
A snake can go long periods without food by choice (natural fasting) which is common during the winter months and breeding season and causes more stress to us than them.
If your snake has stopped eating the first thing to do is to start making a record of their weight,if they are holding their weight ok then dont get worrying just make sure that they have fresh water to drink.
POSSIBLE REASONS FOR NOT EATING

1..Have you recently bought or moved your snake..if you have it is recommended to give your snake a week or 2 to settle into it's new enviroment with out handling it as a move can be stressfull

2..Is it due to shed..this will make a snake very uncomfortable and blind during the blue stage of shedding.

3..Are your temps at the correct levels..snakes need steady and correct temps to regulate their bodies,if they are not right they will be unable to digest their meal therefor wont eat it.

4..Vivarium set up..(husbandry)if your viv is too big or not enough or right size hides and foliage a snake may become stressed by open spaces and not enough coverage for it to hide.

5..Size of prey..if your offering prey that is way too small they might not see it as prey and just ignor it..if it's too big they may become threatened by it and shy away.

6..Illness..If your snake is showing any kind of illness take it to a vet asap.

7..over handling..Over handling may put some snakes of there food to,so avoid handling during periods of not eating

WHAT SHOULD I TRY

There are many methords to try and get your snake to eat,they are not garunteed to work but well worth trying

1..Super heating..really heat the rey with pay more attention to the head using a hair drier.

2..braining..this involves slitting the skull from the back of the head to the nose to expose the brain.

3..Leaving prey..leave the prey in the viv on a piece of paper with a hide covering it for 24hours with out looking.

4..Take for a drive..taking it in a tub for a 15-20 min drive might stimulte the stomach juices

5..scenting..you can try scenting with other prey items

6..Alternative prey..other prey items are available such as mice,rats,gerbils,day old chicks and multis amongst others

7..Jacketing,placing the skin of one prey on to another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy1gAylvb0M

AS A LAST RESORT

After trying these methords and your snake is losing a lot of weight you can try these methords as a last resort.

1..live feeding..This should be done under strict supervision as injurys could be caused to your snake and in the privacy of your own home and not infront of a audience.

2..assist feeding..this is where you assist the snake by gently opening his mouth and placing the head of the prey in to start him off.

3..Force feedingthis is where the prey is forced down the throat of the snake.

[red]I RECOMMEND THAT STEPS 2 & 3 ARE ONLY DONE UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF SOME ONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING

Edited by - lee2308 on 14/12/2010 17:58:32

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  18:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice

Go to Top of Page

muppet9976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  18:17:41  Show Profile  Click to see muppet9976's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
this should be made a sticky, its a good guide.

1.0.0 Amel Corn - Fluffy!
Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  00:19:25  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lee this is spot on, you should post it on all of the forums

0.2.0 cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royal Pythons (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Ghost - Hogan, Carolina - Shaggy, Snow - Sparkle, Amel - Tango, Crimson -Fred, Candy Cane - Haribo & Normal Stripe - Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 fish
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  16:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is great Lee (says someone whose speaks with past experience of a non-feeding snake.
Definitely should be posted on all forums and made a sticky - will hopefully reduce questions thaat are having to be answered seperately by supplying the answers here. Do worry about the load you moderators must carry..... xxx

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2009 :  16:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent advice.
I had my corn stop eating for three months, I think it was due to breeding cycle.
I got him to eat by placing a live mouse in with him.
I kept watch until he was successful in catching it and it started his eating cycle again

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  22:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought of another reason, again another last resort one

"The Tease method" when people tap the snakes nose or tip of the tail with the prey item and annoy it into biting the mouse.

I don't really approve of this, the snake might get scared of it.. but if it gets a starving snake feeding..
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  22:44:55  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i wouldnt really recommend "the tease methord" as it can be seen as the prey is attacking it and they can be imtimadated by it and go off food for even longer.I must admit that i had tried it in the past and just made things worse.

Edited by - lee2308 on 03/08/2009 22:45:55
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  03:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not had any success with teasing and as Lee says it makes things worse.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  09:54:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have in the past got a snake to strike and eat by tapping the prey on its tail, but I would try the other options first.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  10:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I have in the past got a snake to strike and eat by tapping the prey on its tail, but I would try the other options first.

Agreed. I think it depends on the snake but i'd try this before assist feeds or live.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  19:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is a good guide, however i still have a problem. My 6 month old corn snake has regurgitated every pinkie i have given him over the last three months. I have tried leaving him for longer periods of times between feeds, tried smaller pinkies, tried increasing the temp of the viv but with no luck. He always strikes at the pinkie as soon as i offer it and always eats it but the next day he brings it back up. Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  20:05:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ema

My 6 month old corn snake has regurgitated every pinkie i have given him over the last three months......Any suggestions?

get it to a vet NOW!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  20:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by Ema

My 6 month old corn snake has regurgitated every pinkie i have given him over the last three months......Any suggestions?

get it to a vet NOW!!

By that she means NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW. Thats a very serious problem.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2009 :  08:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got to agree with the others and cant stress it enough - if he is 6 months old and hasnt digested anything for 3 months but is interested enough in food to strike and eat then there must be a digestive/internal problem that needs dealing with. Try and make sure your vet is reptile/exotic friendly. xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  00:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good sticky. My corn went without food for 3 months a couple years ago. she's over 10 years old so no concern. I did the leave-it-covered-for-24 hours suggestion and worked a treat. Now she is quite shy eater & prefers me to just leave it out for her like a meals on wheels service! She won't eat often with anyone watching so I just put the prey in and leave it for her, go back hour later to check and she's done a magic trick... no more prey! GIVE IT A GO- TRY THE SIMPLE THINGS FIRST! I.E. THE 1-6 "WHAT SHOULD I TRY" SECTION!

EMA: Any news on your sick corn? Interested to hear the cause/solution?

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 25/10/2009 17:16:01
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  14:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just dropped quick email to EMA to draw her attention to this thread as we are concerned for this little guy and haven't heard from her for a week or so. I also stressed that he needs a vet NOW! Hopefully she'll reply soon!

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  04:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you did bengy, been worried about it but not confident enough to email someone I dont know. Well done. Let us know what you find out. xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  16:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
didn't notice your reply kellog. Is it just my account or when you reply to stickys they dont appear on your recent thread list? Not heard from emma yet. Hopefully she will reply soon!

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  18:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys, sorry I have taken a while to reply but I have been on holiday. I took the suggestions and rushed George straight to the vet, who kept him in to try and discover the cause of the problem and try to get George feeding again, but unfortunately he kept bringing up the pinkies and he died as a result :(
I wish I had taken him to a vet sooner, but with it being my first snake I just didn't realise the serious of the situation.
The good news is that I now have another corn, a four month carolina called Sammi. He is eating well, he seems to eat the pinkies really fast and doesnt seem to struggle with them at all, so I am considering moving him on to Fuzzies in the near future (probably in a few weeks). He has shed twice in the five weeks I have had him, so everything is looking good so far.
Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  03:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ema, I am so sorry to hear about George. We do our best with our snakes and you did what you could. It sounds like even if you had taken him to the vet sooner he would most probably still have died.
I am pleased it has not put you off having snakes and am very pleased to hear you now have Sammi and everything seems to be going well. Pics as soon as possible, of course!
Remember to ask anything, any concern you have...no matter how small...it is what this forum is for.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000