Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  02:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah sorry to hear that Emma (and for contacting you privately, but we we're all really worried). It is bad news but unfortunately it does happen occasionally. We learn from our experiences and I'm sure even if you took him in sooner, it was a problem George had which would have been very troublesome to fix esp in such a small snake.

Kellog is right, we're glad it hasn't put you off snakes and any questions or concerns you have will be very welcome so that we can answer them and build on your knowledge of snake keeping.

Good luck with Sammi and I'm sure you're gonna have many long happy years together!

Ben

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 08/11/2009 02:21:16
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  14:10:45  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry to hear that but some are just not meant to be,thats natural selection for you,congrat on the new one though

Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  13:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to say thanks, as this guide helped me recently. My new snake Amelie had not eaten for 2 weeks and it turns out she likes me leaving the mice in the viv overnight. I'm used to two boys who've been hand fed from 10 weeks old. She has only struck once at a mouse I've held, so I guess she's a little more timid than the boys.
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  18:21:46  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
with time i expect she will strike,just nervous with people watching

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  04:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simonw

I just wanted to say thanks, as this guide helped me recently. My new snake Amelie had not eaten for 2 weeks and it turns out she likes me leaving the mice in the viv overnight. I'm used to two boys who've been hand fed from 10 weeks old. She has only struck once at a mouse I've held, so I guess she's a little more timid than the boys.

It is great that Amelie has now eaten again, and good to hear that the guide has been helpful. We have proved on here that no corn is a 'textbook' snake and they differ enormously.

Hopefully, as Lee says, in time you may be able to feed her out of the viv once she had grown in confidence....but at the moment all that is important is that she is feeding .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  08:45:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not originally about Corns, but may be of use:

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3970

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2010 :  00:48:27  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow I never looked at this guide I don;t think until today! I never thought about going for a car journey before.

I found that if I do leave the pinkies overnight with my little problem feeder, it still wont eat. It doesn't matter if they are heated, brained, stomach slit or what, he ignores them. It's a very nervous snake though, my snakes are kept in my room so at night I guess when I'm asleep, he still senses that I am there or my cat is. I found that if I leave the room for an hour for dinner or something and put him in a butter tub and no lights on in my room, he eats.

BE, that's really interesting. I wonder if it's because it's a fresher smell of something being alive in the same room as them or not? I wonder if it would work with different rodents.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2010 :  09:21:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I honestly have no idea, if you try though, let us know

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  02:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
am a new member and i was just reading over this and my corn snake hasnt eat for atlest 4-5 months and he has alredy shed 2 weeks ago but still wont eat should i forse feed him or just wight x
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  02:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by connie_foxtrot

am a new member and i was just reading over this and my corn snake hasnt eat for atlest 4-5 months and he has alredy shed 2 weeks ago but still wont eat should i forse feed him or just wight x

Hi Connie. I am sorry you have had to join the forum because of having a problem with your corn not feeding....but it is actually the same reason I joined a year ago.

When I first got Kellog he refused his first feed with me and continued to refuse to eat for 13 weeks. After a couple of times of him ignoring me offering him a mouse I was panicking and found TCS....who kept me sane and talked me through what was going on. In Kellog's case it is because he was horny and that MAY be what is going on with your snake now....we are just coming to the end of the breeding season and both my males have started eating again having refused food since March.

The best thing to do is start your own thread in the Health section, giving us as much info about your snake as possible - how old he is, how long you have had him, what he normally feeds on and how often, how much he weighs. Also info about his set-up will help - how big his viv is, the temps and how they are being measured. The more info we have the more likelihood of us being able to help you.

The signs of a male who is off his food due to it being breeding season is that he is a lot more active than normal....mine have been out and about nearly all the time, constantly trying to escape, climbing the walls of their vivs and generally trashing them! Also, although they havent been eating they have only lost a relatively small amount of weight, which shows that it is a natural fast....whereas if they had been losing weight fast then I would be worried that they may be off their food for another reason.

One thing I would say is that force feeding is a very last resort and I know it is not one I would happily take on, I am not even sure how I would go about it....so before you do it let us try and work out what might be going on.

Has your snake lost condition? Is he drinking and pooing? Does he behave normally when you handle him? You say you have read through this topic, what methods have you tried to encourage him to eat?

Sorry for the interrogation....but, as I said, the more info we have the more chance we have of helping. Please do as I suggested and start your own thread in the Health section (as you are more likely to get answers quickly that way) and hopefully we can sort out what is going on.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  13:55:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a pointer too, a reason why your'e snake could not be eating is it maybe breeding season? I think the biggest causer of snakes to give up eating.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  04:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

The signs of a male who is off his food due to it being breeding season is that he is a lot more active than normal....mine have been out and about nearly all the time, constantly trying to escape, climbing the walls of their vivs and generally trashing them! Also, although they havent been eating they have only lost a relatively small amount of weight, which shows that it is a natural fast....whereas if they had been losing weight fast then I would be worried that they may be off their food for another reason.

quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

I've got a pointer too, a reason why your'e snake could not be eating is it maybe breeding season? I think the biggest causer of snakes to give up eating.

I did cover that as a reason for Connie's snake not eating in my LONG post....

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  23:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi my snake i think is ready to start sheeding coz she is off her food and her skin is starting to look loose in places but i was wondering how long she can go without a feed coz it has been just over a week since she last had a feed
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  23:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duff2010

hi my snake i think is ready to start sheeding coz she is off her food and her skin is starting to look loose in places but i was wondering how long she can go without a feed coz it has been just over a week since she last had a feed

corns can go months without eating, so wouldn't worry about it only being just over a week

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  23:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alright so i can prob wait until she has shed and then try her again its just it is my first snake so i was just wont to check
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  23:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no worries on checking, yes just wait until she's shed then offer.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  21:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks gmac for ure advice she was ready to shed she shed the other day and i got to see it it was great to see it
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  21:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice one, shiny new snake now

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  14:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya, when i brought seth from an pet shop, they told me that they was feeding him 3 medium mice per week, but when my friend first saw him he said that seth was over weight which he was 360g hes only 19mths old,i was told to cut his food down, which i have to 1 small mice, which i think its way too much, because its like us when we cut our food down our stomach strinks, so i guess same thing could happen to seth, can any please give me some advice please, i am gonna take him to the vets in the new year just an general check up, but i had an look at his weight and he has lost 10g, he is due to be feed tomorrow but im gonna give him 1 medium mice.

clare n seth
Go to Top of Page

Cornflake1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  19:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
123 are a bit cruel

Bethany Carruthers
5 years experiance
2 cornsnakes - still own
1 rainbow boa- has been sold