Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  16:56:06  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cornflake1

123 are a bit cruel

If you have any other ideas for last resort's please share them,either that or the snake starves it's self to death.

Go to Top of Page

ukglyn
Snake Mite

32 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  10:52:05  Show Profile  Visit ukglyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have used the leave prey under hide for 24 hours trick with good results in the past! Great thread, thanks for taking the time to type it all out.

www.glyntjonesphotography.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

kirkky
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  18:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My corn is a couple years old and has not ate any thing for the past 4 weeks but he is still out and about alot and trying to escape the viv as normal but he has got 3 or 4 lumps on his side near his bak end dose anyone know what this might be also how will I know when he is ready to eat again all helpmuch appreciated thank you

kirkky
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  18:31:05  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kirkky

My corn is a couple years old and has not ate any thing for the past 4 weeks but he is still out and about alot and trying to escape the viv as normal but he has got 3 or 4 lumps on his side near his bak end dose anyone know what this might be also how will I know when he is ready to eat again all helpmuch appreciated thank you

Have you had your snake properly sexed as it sounds like Your he is more than likely a she and has eggs in her and is ready to lay,i would put a nest box in filled with moss as she is probably searching for a place to lay them.

Go to Top of Page

kirkky
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  18:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lee2308
no we ain't had it sexd just going by what we were to by the person that we got it off also our snake ain't been near any other snake it's whole life and what kind of moss do u put in

kirkky
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  19:25:10  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
snakes can still lay infertile eggs,get some sphagnum moss,the type you line hanging baskets with,you can get it from garden centers.You need to get a plastic tub and make a hole in the lid big enough for the snake to get in and lay and place it in the warm end.

Edited by - lee2308 on 28/03/2011 19:26:34
Go to Top of Page

kirkky
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  21:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you bud that's been really helpfull will give it a shot was getting worried bout the eating thing like

kirkky
Go to Top of Page

jase81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  13:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for this hopefully i want have to use this guide

0.0.2 corns
0.2.0 dogs
0.2.0 tokay geckos
Go to Top of Page

Nicole.x
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  19:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such a good post - wish I had of seen this when I had first got my corn.
Seems even breeders don't always know best.. I was told to use the 'teasing method' with my 5 month old and that sometimes she would refuse the food so to tap her nose for 15 minutes every hour till she took it - being a newbie I obviously trusted the breeders advice. The first, and only, time I tried this I gave up after about a minute because I felt cruel trying to scare her into eating. Few days later I tried defrosting and just leaving the pinky and in the morning it was gone.
I've had two successful feeds since - I turn all light sources in room off and its gone within half hour.
Go to Top of Page

mjackson2106
Snake Mite

1 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  08:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great post, have just bought (2 weeks ago) two corns and one wont feed, have tried lots of the things included in the post. Going to start weighing him, but not sure what the right weight is for my snake? He's 3 months old and 14 inches long. Any help would be greatly appreciated Mike
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  09:00:14  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I dont think there is a right or wrong weight. It varies from snake to snake.

When mine was 17in (when i first got it) it weighed a whopping 14g.

I read somewhere if the snake is shaped like a Tobelerone then its under weight, like a loaf of bread its ideal weight. But again thats just a guide and not something set in stone.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

philiciastar
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2012 :  00:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI all, i have a young corn who is about 7/8 months now, everything has been going great and she was eating and sheding well pooping well. and for the past 3 weeks she's not interested in her feed at all! i have changed different things like not handling her as much, warming feed up, poping so blood comes out ect, but nothing. she has not lost weight. but she is only tiny and i was not too worried to begin with thought ah its normal ect.. but just tried feeding her tonight and will be the third week she has not touched her feed! I've asked the local reptile shops where i am and they said nothing really apart from when shes hungry she'll eat so to speak =S (cheers great help) all temps are right and viv is ''perfect'' conditions.. I don't want to try live feed if i can help it! and tried all other way covered viv, placing it in a hide ect.. do you think assist feeding would be worth a try? Could it be the breeding season which has made her go off her feed even at her age? any help would be greatly welcome!!
Go to Top of Page

cozy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  15:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys. Have joined the forum as I acquired my first corn "Ruby" last weekend (18 months old, 3' long)and she doesn't appear to be feeding. She had shed the previous week and obviously didn't feed, and I put the move down to her not feeding last week. I fed her yesterday evening with a view to her eating overnight, but she still wont touch her food. I have covered the viv with a dark towel to encourage her, though I would have thought if she is going to eat she would have done it by now.
I am not overly concerned as yet, because she is still lively and inquisitive around the viv, my question is, How long do I leave the feed in with her before giving up? I am thinking 24hrs should be ample, as I wouldn't think she will touch anything that is getting too 'old'.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Go to Top of Page

bizzay1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  22:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just (well 2 weeks ago)got a snow corn which was due to shed, she (previous owner says they had her probed)didn't have any heat - only a light. I brought her home and got her a heat rock, all seemed to go well, temp in viv holds good at about 22, after about a week she shed perfectly all in 1 so thought I'd feed her well she strikes no problem but won't take, have tried leaving it in overnight would the next step be to try leaving it hidden for 24 hours ?

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2012 :  22:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bizzay1

I have just (well 2 weeks ago)got a snow corn which was due to shed, she (previous owner says they had her probed)didn't have any heat - only a light. I brought her home and got her a heat rock, all seemed to go well, temp in viv holds good at about 22, after about a week she shed perfectly all in 1 so thought I'd feed her well she strikes no problem but won't take, have tried leaving it in overnight would the next step be to try leaving it hidden for 24 hours ?

wouldn't try feeding until you get set up properly. you need a heat mat in your viv that covers around a 3rd of the viv. the heat mat is plugged into a thermostat (mat stat). the probe from the stat is placed directly on the mat. use a digital thermometer with a probe that is placed directly on the mat to. the temp should be 27-29. they need it that warm so they can digest

Go to Top of Page

bizzay1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2012 :  00:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kev 5

quote:
Originally posted by bizzay1

wouldn't try feeding until you get set up properly. you need a heat mat in your viv that covers around a 3rd of the viv. the heat mat is plugged into a thermostat (mat stat). the probe from the stat is placed directly on the mat. use a digital thermometer with a probe that is placed directly on the mat to. the temp should be 27-29. they need it that warm so they can digest

The previous owner recons she was eating fine with them, although the temp couldn't have been more than 18 with her not having any heat at all but will get down and get a mat first thing and see how she gets on in a couple of days

Go to Top of Page

bizzay1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  09:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Small update, bought a heatmat and a hide and also built another hide for her. she seems quite happy now with the temp holding good at 28ish. would definately look to me like she is looking for food, seems interested in any movement near or in the viv. Spoke to the previous owner (who did say "yea good feeder, just hold a mouse in there by the tail and she'll take it") now saying they always had to leave the mouse in there as she was a bit shy feeding and wouldn't take if "shook in front of her" so I'm going to put a medium mouse in with her tonight and leave it for 24 hrs

Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2012 :  09:09:14  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a good tip. Yoghurt...

http://www.moreliapythons.com/forums/showthread.php?34799-Babies-refusing-to-eat-Try-Yogurt-!

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  20:51:52  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tried most of these, she's tiny and losing weight, I'm worried I'm gonna lose her :(

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  21:47:14  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hopefully she will start feeding for you soon, good luck

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000