New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EmSquem
Yearling

United Kingdom
525 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  18:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Scarlet, my female snake (about 4-5 years old) laid 13 eggs - but they're small and yellow, and look pretty much like sherbert lemons. There is no way she could have been pregnant, as she hasn't come into contact with any of my male snakes - what is happening? I haven't been handling them much recently due to exam pressure/deadlines in college, but I knew that the last 2 times I tried to feed her she wouldn't eat. I also hadn't noticed her having put on any weight in the times that I did handle her.
Now that they have been laid (I found them all at the back of her viv when cleaning it out), it is obvious that she has lost quite a bit of weight. Do I try not to handle her, or feed her this week? The first 2 I found when cleaning her out two weeks ago, but the rest came today.
Please help, I don't know if this is normal or not!
If someone needs a picture of them, I can upload one later.
Thanks in advance for any help

1.2.0 corns (Star, Eddie and Scarlet)
1.0.0 Sinaloan milk snake (Harry)
1.1.0 Black Labrador (Berry and Buddy)

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  18:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't unusual for females to lay unfertilised eggs. Yes try and feed her. She will shed over the next week or so so don't panic if she doesn't eat

Go to Top of Page

EmSquem
Yearling

United Kingdom
525 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  21:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot! Not so worried now, thank you :)

1.2.0 corns (Star, Eddie and Scarlet)
1.0.0 Sinaloan milk snake (Harry)
1.1.0 Black Labrador (Berry and Buddy)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  08:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gmac is right, of course , Emily. It is scary when it happens. I have a snake that was probed as male. A couple of months later SHE laid eggs and has done it a couple more times since. I don't think it's common for females but it does happen and there isn't anything you can do to stop it. I'm not surprised you didn't notice her putting on any weight. I handled mine the day before she laid this year and she felt as though she had lost weight, which wasn't surprising as she had refused the last few feeds. What was surprising was that the next day she laid 10 slugs and I'd felt her over very carefully and not noticed any 'lumps or bumps'.

I offered her the smallest rat fluff I had (she's on them because she has trouble keeping weight on) a couple of days after she laid but she refused. She then went blue and it took 2 weeks for her to finally shed. It was such a relief that she ate on Friday. I would definitely suggest that you offer her the smallest prey item you have.

I tend to leave her alone until she's eating regularly again. Laying eggs is exhausting and it's actually harder for them to lay slugs than it is to lay fertile eggs. Are you keeping a record of her weight?

You may find this thread on slugs interesting - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23851

Hope that helps.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000