Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leasha
Hatchling

Netherlands
246 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  10:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!
I have upgraded fluffy (now 2 years old already!)
from 60x40cm viv to a 150cm viv!
I got the viv second hand and cleaned it really well using dettol then water and water again!
I have given her new bedding and she has all of her old decorations..

She's been in there for 3-4 days and has barely come out of her hide.. Every now and then she sticks her head out to have a look and then goes back inside.

I don't even think she's been out for a drink yet..

Is this normal when they move?

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  10:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Leasha, I suspect it's the substantial increase in the size of her home that is making her nervous. There's a lot more space in there now, which is good now she's that bit older; you just need to make sure that she has plenty of cover and hiding spaces in there

You say you have put all her old decorations in there, which is good for keeping it familiar and having her scent on them, but as the space has more than doubled, I would suggest that you may well need to arrange for some more things for her to seek shelter and cover in. It doesn't have to cost lots of money, even a couple of kitchen towel rolls, an upside down egg box with an entrance cut into it or an empty cereal box would be sufficient. Give her some time and more cover and I'm sure she'll be fine once she's had the chance to explore on her own terms

It may be worthwhile leaving off the handling for a week or so to give her a chance to get used to the space without any extra stress; at the end of the day, she's your snake so you will know what's best

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  09:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kez has put it perfectly Leasha . If you think about the changes she's been through, from the faun/viv she knew into a much larger, strange smelling one, it's not surprising she's feeling a bit daunted by it. As has been said, just make sure she has lots of places to hide and can move from one end of the viv to the other without feeling out in the open and vulnerable.

It's also a good idea to give her a settling in period. Not necessarily the full week but at least a few days. Maybe until after her next feed. And I wouldn't worry about her drinking. She knows where the water is and I'm sure she will be coming out when you're tucked up in your bed.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Leasha
Hatchling

Netherlands
246 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  21:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replying guys!
She usually used to come out of her hides allllllllllllll the time.
She's been out once or twice today so that's good.
I have put down water for her in each side of the viv so she has more drinking opportunities :)
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  23:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great news that she's been out and about, she's obviously just taking her time to get used to her new palatial surroundings Give her a few days and I'm quite certain that she'll start getting back to her old self

You may just need to keep an eye on the humidity if you have placed a water source in the warm end as corns don't require high humidity; too much can lead to respiratory infections

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page