Just thinking aloud really...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wheels
Hatchling

103 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2014 :  19:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got Wheels to the stage that he is easy to get out of the viv, he doesn't really run from me and lets me scoop him up and bring him out no problem. He used to settle quite quickly and even took to being a lap snake for a while.

Then we had the statue incident.

While he was in there, I could get the statue out the viv with him inside and sit it on me - he would come out far enough to rest his head on me and sit for a while. But, after I nicked the statue when I caught him outside it going for a drink, he just wants to run away from me.

Just after he emerged from the statue (which he was in for almost a week, he did eat when I drop fed overnight and he was obviously active at night - he even hung outside and took a drink when I was replacing the statue once ) I had a couple of days when I handled him for short sessions - then he went into blue and we had another week of no touchy.

He shed on Thursday, fed him Friday and left him until today. He was still okay for me to get him out, but then he just wanted to run run run away.....has he forgotten me? Do I need to start again?

We've also had a lot of tractor activity outside, which I'm sure has vibrated his senses - even we have felt it!

Anyway, I know he is probably stressed and I know it isn't personal, but I liked being his safe tree person and I feel I've lost the position.

Any reassurances, advice, experiences or pointing and laughing welcome!

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2014 :  21:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some snakes are more jittery than others and can get a bit skittish if they haven't been handled for a while. If you haven't already you could try the scented sock method to help he get used to your scent are realise you aren't a threat, lots of slow and patent handling and am sure he will soon settle down again

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Wheels
Hatchling

103 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2014 :  10:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I have thought about the sock - but I wouldn't want to subject anyone to that

I'm now getting him out his viv (still easy) then I carry him to his now vacant faun (containing kitchen roll and an eggbox hide but no lid) and let him calm down and start exploring himself. When he seems to have had enough (just hides) - or our attention is wandering - I pick him up and return him to the viv (again still easy).

I'm in his viv every day fluffing his aspen, changing his water and generally being a nuisance and he doesn't seem to be bothered by that.

He was in the shop for a while, so I guess he wasn't handled overly much while he was younger, but he's always been a placid snakey. I'll just have to try that patience thing I've heard so much about...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000