New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jennas
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2014 :  11:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a baby corn snake that three weeks old I can't get her to eat . I have brained the pinkie and tapped her noise with it and she does strike it but that's it. Any help will be appreciated .

One Snow Corn
One Amel Corn
One Carolina Corn
Two Male Bearded Dragons
Three Female Bearded Dragons
Three Yellow belly Turtles
One Florida Soft Shell
One Green Iguana

Wheels
Hatchling

103 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2014 :  15:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jennas, sorry, I can't help as I've never had a hatchling or a non-feeder, but in the absence of another answer...have you checked the sticky on non-feeders? http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

I'm sure someone will be along to give you more personal advice soon....good luck with the wee one - keep us informed!

Go to Top of Page

jennas
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2014 :  15:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks

One Snow Corn
One Amel Corn
One Carolina Corn
Two Male Bearded Dragons
Three Female Bearded Dragons
Three Yellow belly Turtles
One Florida Soft Shell
One Green Iguana
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2014 :  17:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you breed her? A corn snake that is three weeks old could still be living off their yolk sack and might not need to eat yet. I wouldn't worry about them not eating for a good 2/3 months and then only if they look thin and lethargic. Don't offer food too often, even if they don't eat only offer as if they had eaten, so every 5-7 days for a hatchling as being offered food too much can actually stress them out. Sometimes tapping a pinkie against a hatchlings nose can frighten them too.

I would just put the pinkie in the corn's tub and leave it in the quiet and dark overnight, then check in the morning. That often does the trick as they feel safer. That and keep handling to a minimum to avoid stress being the cause. Keep trying that a few more times before trying heating the pinkie up or braining again or anything else

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2014 :  08:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know much about little ones but you've been given good advice Jenna. I definitely agree with Moppet about not tapping the pinkie on her nose. That could cause even more feeding issues.

I'm assuming she's in a small tub/RUB, housed alone and with the correct heating? If the set-up isn't right it can stress the snake and cause it not to eat.

These might be useful to you. The first is about raising baby snakes and mentions the best ways to feed them - http://www.vmsherp.com/LCBabySnakes.htm The second is similar to the link Wheels gave you but aimed for baby corns - http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/909055-new-snake-not-feeding-very.html

*runs to hide having posted a link to the 'dark side'*

Please let us know how you get on.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2014 :  17:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I don't know much about little ones but you've been given good advice Jenna. I definitely agree with Moppet about not tapping the pinkie on her nose. That could cause even more feeding issues.

I'm assuming she's in a small tub/RUB, housed alone and with the correct heating? If the set-up isn't right it can stress the snake and cause it not to eat.

These might be useful to you. The first is about raising baby snakes and mentions the best ways to feed them - http://www.vmsherp.com/LCBabySnakes.htm The second is similar to the link Wheels gave you but aimed for baby corns - http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/909055-new-snake-not-feeding-very.html

*runs to hide having posted a link to the 'dark side'*

Please let us know how you get on.

Xxx

You're brave, did they notice you sneaking in and stealing a link?

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2014 :  20:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Naaah, they wouldn't, probably busy arguing :-)

Still, I agree that was a very brave deed. :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2014 :  09:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottishbluebird

You're brave, did they notice you sneaking in and stealing a link?

quote:
Originally posted by Razee

Naaah, they wouldn't, probably busy arguing :-)

Still, I agree that was a very brave deed. :-)

I'm very sneaky when I need to be SBB .

Too true about the arguing Razee but it's not them I'm worried about. The forum takes great offence to links from 'the dark side ' being put up so I'm hoping she hasn't noticed .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Mags53
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2014 :  22:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried feeding wax worms to a corn snake hatchling? I've got a baby 12 weeks old, has only taken 3 pinkies thus far & I'm wondering if wax worms may tempt him to eat.

Mags
0.1.0 Kitty (CB12 Charcoal)- MIA since July, still hoping
0.1.0 Fizz (CB12 Carolina)
1.0.0 Sid (CB14 Miami)
1.0.0 Darcy (Gordon Setter)
1.0.0 Callan (Irish Setter)
3.0.0 Jess, Jagger & Tigger (Cats)
Go to Top of Page

Mags53
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2014 :  20:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sid had refused 2 x pinkies but tonight was moving around his faunarium so I plunged a pinkie into boiling water, dried it & popped into a plastic plant near the entrance to his warm hide. He smooched around & about looking at what I was up to for about 10 mins, I left the room & when I came back in he'd eaten in & was back in his hide. I usually feed them in a rub so they don't associate hands into house with food but I'll settle for that for now. :)

Mags
0.1.0 Kitty (CB12 Charcoal)- MIA since July, still hoping
0.1.0 Fizz (CB12 Carolina)
1.0.0 Sid (CB14 Miami)
1.0.0 Darcy (Gordon Setter)
1.0.0 Callan (Irish Setter)
3.0.0 Jess, Jagger & Tigger (Cats)
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2014 :  09:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's your answer, Mags :-) He may well be a very shy feeder, who needs to be fed in safety of his own home, and without anyone watching - at least whilst he is little. I defrost all my mice in warm water, so they are roughly the temperature they'd be if they were alive, by the time I feed them. I feed my newest hatchie in his tub, too, so as not to stress him. He's on kitchen towel, so I don't worry about substrate. If you use aspen, you can always pop the pinkie on a piece of paper, or similar.

Re wax worms - I probably wouldn't, there isn't that much goodness in a wax worm for a corn snake, especially if yours has already eaten pinkies.

Just noticed this is actually Jenna's thread - how is your hatchling, Jenna, has it started eating?

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly