New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  09:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bought my corn and milk a nice 4 x 2 viv each. They seemed cramped in their old 3ft x 15". This was 5 months ago and still they sit in their cold hides. Never out. I feel like buying plastic snakes to put in the vivs At least I would have something to look at.

Its almost like they are attached to the cold hide by and invisible string. They come out to eat, which they do fortnightly, then straight back to the cold hide. The corn come half out for a drink when I change his water but then recoils back to the hide. The milk will occasionally be seen in his moss box which is about 12" from his cold hide . The corn venture on to his wooden shelf directly above his cold hide but this is a rare thing and is seen only once a month maybe if you are lucky enough.

The temperatures are at what they were in their old vivs. The cold end sits at 22c during the day dropping to 20c-21c at night, just the natural room temperature drop. The warm end sits at 29c directly on top of the mat.

I have played around with temps hoping this would sort things out. Tried lowering it to 27C and been up to as high as 33-34cc in vary stages but nothing. I have also tried upping the air temperature using an infrared bulb but this had no affect on the corn at all. The milk popped across to investigate the guarded bulb and then back to the cold hide. I have even had the corn out and put him into the warm hid but out he comes straight back to the cold hide.

The hides are the same ones they had in their old vivs I have added extra wood and greenery to these vivs as they are larger.

In their old vivs you would see them move between hides regularly and they would be seen just having a general move around the viv, nosing at the glass having a little climb about, which is why I bought these larger vivs. Thought they would welcome the extra room.
I have done my best to give them better housing while I now feel like I am living in a shoe box, they are just so ungrateful its unreal

Sorry for the long post, just hoping for some other people's input

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  18:29:24  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe add more foliage so they can feel safer moving around. Dunelm mill so some fake ivy pretty cheap, a couple of those in there might do the trick.
If it doesn't then there is only one thing to do...........

Get more snakes

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  18:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can think of two reasons, apart from temperature problems, which don't seem to be the cause, as you've tried that:

1) It's winter. I know we keep their heat on, but I'm sure my snakes still know, when it's autumn. They can see the shortening days - as their vivs are near the window, and the night ambient temps can be lower, too. Mine try to burry themselves in the cold end since around October, and not come out, if possible.

2) they are actually happy with the new, bigger size vivs - with the old one, maybe they felt cramped, and kept hoping to find some way out - and maybe now they are happy, and settled down, where they want to...

Or combination of both :-)

As long as they are healthy, I would leave them to it - you might find they'll become active, come spring. One of my males has just started the spring madness roaming -(

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  19:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razee

I can think of two reasons, apart from temperature problems, which don't seem to be the cause, as you've tried that:

1) It's winter. I know we keep their heat on, but I'm sure my snakes still know, when it's autumn. They can see the shortening days - as their vivs are near the window, and the night ambient temps can be lower, too. Mine try to burry themselves in the cold end since around October, and not come out, if possible.

2) they are actually happy with the new, bigger size vivs - with the old one, maybe they felt cramped, and kept hoping to find some way out - and maybe now they are happy, and settled down, where they want to...

Or combination of both :-)

As long as they are healthy, I would leave them to it - you might find they'll become active, come spring. One of my males has just started the spring madness roaming -(

I can certainly see your point. Its just they're not acting the same as in previous years. Even through previous winters I would still see them moving around. Maybe I need to stop worrying about them.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2015 :  09:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long have they been in their new vivs? I realise they have the smell of their old vivs and the hides but they may still take a while adapting to the bigger space. Most of the year I don't see mine except for when I handle or feed them. Most of them do swop hides but it's always as soon as my back is turned.

I realise they've got the same hides as before but what about swapping them round, putting the cool hide in the warm end and vice versa. One of mine has a definite favourite hide and was always in the cool end. I swapped them round and she moved with it.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2015 :  15:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have been in the vivs for nearly 5 months now so I would have thought they should have settled by now. The only thing with the vivs is that they are now facing a different way in the lounge. Its no busier past their vivs though. I have tried swapping hides but that doesn't work. I get the corn out then when I put him back I put his head in the warm hide and in he goes. Curls up for about 10 minutes then straight back to the cold hide. I know he is digesting ok but he is icy cold to touch even if I my hands feel cold I can still feel the coldness of him.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2015 :  08:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After months of waiting they are finally on the move. Stan the corn is now on the move and there are signs that Bryan the milk snake will be as well soon. Breeding season has kicked in. Its just nice to see them out and about at last. Makes me feel that they do maybe appreciate the larger vivs after all. A nice change from sitting starring into empty looking vivs.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2015 :  13:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loooovee is in the aaaaiiir, so they came out , lol :-)

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2015 :  08:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean Rachel. I really don't like the not feeding part of breeding season but the increased activity is great. I'm sure people who come to my house often think that I have empty vivs through the rest of the year. At least at this time it shows that they're occupied.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000