New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dtookey90
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2015 :  21:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys so my juvenile is in a secure rub and i was debating weather to put the heat mat (with stat) inside the tub underneath the aspen or would it be better outside the rub underneath? also when he moves into a wooden viv would i be ok with putting the heat mat inside the viv with aspen over it or should i use somthing to go over it? ive heard that the mat can cause too much heat with the aspen and probably be a fire hazzard? please help any advice is much appriciated
this is how its set up at the moment
[/URL]

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2015 :  21:20:36  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Better outside of the rub, but with the probes for the thermostat and thermometer inside. And I put mine inside the viv because otherwise it has to work too hard and it will blow

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2015 :  21:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many more experienced voices than mine but I have done the following

In the plastic viv I put the mat underneath. I placed the viv and mat on cork tiles as insulation and backed the mat with silver foil to reflect most of the heat back to the viv. Obviously the mat was started with the sensor and thermometer inside the viv.

In the wooden vivs I placed white wall tiles on the mat. This holds it down and stops the snake getting under it, as well as offering some protection from moisture. This also allowed be to glue the stat probe and thermometer onto the tile.

1.1.0 Jim Caramel Tessera, Rosie Motley
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2015 :  08:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've been given good advice, Dayna. If you check this link out it shows you how best to set up a RUB, with the heatmat underneath - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

For a wooden viv the mat needs to be inside. If it's underneath it has to get a lot hotter to reach the required temperature inside. In both these situations the most important thing is that the mat is controlled by a thermostat and monitored by a digital thermometer.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

dtookey90
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2015 :  15:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So would you all advise to put the stat probe inside the tub instead on on the mat? Trying to set up 3 more tubs at the same for future snakies when they hatch
Go to Top of Page

dtookey90
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2015 :  22:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So would you all advise to put the stat probe inside the tub instead on on the mat? Trying to set up 3 more tubs at the same for future snakies when they hatch
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2015 :  07:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it makes much difference. Most of us use digital thermometers to guide us where temperature is concerned, so we tweak the thermostat until the thermometer is showing the temperature we want. I can think of 2 benefits to having the thermostat probe on the mat. Firstly it means you don't have to put a hole in the tub to thread the probe through and secondly it means the snake can't move the probe, which can happen if they aren't either stuck or weighted down.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2015 :  13:05:10  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The temperature outside on the mat can be a couple of degrees different to inside the RUB. Inside all the way for me

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

ravensgirl
Hatchling

123 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2015 :  21:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have my thermostat probes on the mat but the temp is monitored inside the tanks and adjusted accordingly :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000