New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pauline
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2015 :  22:12:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know where I should post this but my baby corn died today, I am absolutely devastated. I have only had her 7 weeks and only managed to get her to eat once in that whole time.

I have been lurking on this forum constantly to get ideas on how to help her but just didn't have the experience to save her.

I feel like such a failure, she really looked ok last night and was gone when I got home from work tonight.

:(

1.0.0 Charcoal Corn - Kol
0.1.0 Hypo Corn - Elijah
0.1.0 Bloodred Corn - Scarlett
1.0.0 Boxer - Floyd
0.1.0 Bichon - Morgan
1.0.0 Gerbil - Apollo

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2015 :  07:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear that... but don't beat yourself up. There are some babies that just never start eating properly, and in the end don't make it, perhaps because there's something wrong inside.... Even the most experienced breeders loose some babies. She may have been ill - quite often, snakes don't show any signs, until it's too late.

Don't let it put you off. xx

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2015 :  08:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry that you've lost Comet . Its probably useless me saying this but please don't beat yourself up about it. As Razee has said, there are some babies that just don't thrive. I'm not sure where you got her from but were you given feeding records?

I haven't lost any of mine yet and I'm dreading it. I do hope you've got people around you who realise that Comet wasn't 'just a snake'.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Pauline
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2015 :  12:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I never got feeding records which I now know is an absolute warning sign! I was careless and didn't ask enough questions, I just fell in love with her and took a risk when I should have been more thorough.

I think next time I will look for a slightly older snake and definitely ask for more information, records etc.

1.0.0 Charcoal Corn - Kol
0.1.0 Hypo Corn - Elijah
0.1.0 Bloodred Corn - Scarlett
1.0.0 Boxer - Floyd
0.1.0 Bichon - Morgan
1.0.0 Gerbil - Apollo
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2015 :  18:23:32  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear of your loss

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2015 :  07:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it happens quite often that people buy snakes without realising the importance of records so please don't feel guilty about that. It's lovely that you fell for her the way you did.

Getting a slightly older snake sounds like a good idea. I think if you were to get a little one again you'd be very paranoid about its feeding, unsurprisingky, and they do pick up on our emotions. I started off with an adult and learnt so much from him. Please don't hesitate to ask questions to help you learn more. It's what we're here for.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Wheels
Hatchling

103 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2015 :  15:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear you lost your snake. It is difficult when starting out to know what to ask - even after doing loads of research....especially when you see one that calls to you.

At least you know she had 7 weeks of love and that you did your best. And I'm sure she knew it too.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000