New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikejlunt
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2015 :  16:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try and keep this short, Izzy went to a certain local reptile store in dundee over christmas and stayed with them for 2 weeks. I got her back, and noticed (a bit late) that she had mites. After a long 2 weeks of getting rid of them I thought she was out of the woods.
She stopped properly feeding at the beginning of February (around about the time I noticed that her frequent bathing was to remove the mites). She would always regurgitate. After a few weekly attempts (3 or 4) she stopped eating all together. It would take less than 24 hours.
Then she wouldnt try eating at all. I checked the temperature and it was a bit cool so I sorted that out and she ate again. But regurgitated after 24 hours.
I know it's common to stop eating at this time of year, but after all that she has been through I was getting worried.
On top of that she also has this jerking movement when I hold her. It's almost like she's shaking a little, or like she has a twitch. But its worrying me quite a bit.
If anyone from Dundee see's this, I'd be grateful if you know of the best reptile vet. Im on the west side and it would need to be in walking distance.

mikejlunt
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2015 :  16:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, she has been having bowel movements (I think, she could be regurgitating) even when she hasn't been feeding. Not to put anybody off their dinner, but they were not normal. They were a small collections of globules that were kidney-like. I'm not suggesting they are kidneys obviously.
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2015 :  20:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a vet job.... Not eating can be ok, but repeated regurgitation isn't. The thing is, if she caught mites in the shop, what else could she have picked up?

Parasites ( worms or Protozoa ) can cause regurges and strange poop. My female corn snake had parasites once, and though she didn't regurge, she did have weird globules in her poop ( that's what made me to have the poop tested ).

Parasites are easily treated, but there're other diseases, too...sorry I can't help with the reptile vets, I am down in Devon.

Re twitching - that's a typical mating behaviour... Feels scary, doesn't it ? One of my male corns is so wound up, he twitches if anything touches him, if he gets even the tiniest whiff of another snake ( even other male ), so that might not be a problem.

Hope your snakey is ok, and good luck.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic