?'s about Morph and Sex behaviour
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  21:30:19  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, just a couple of questions.
Carolinas, Normals and Commons Are these morphs regarded as the same snake all from Carolina? I have seen snakes advertised as normals which look the same as a Carolina, then my local RC has them listed as Common Cornsake which have the same colouration.

Not a question about morphs but saves doing 2 seperate posts
Sex behaviour Has anyone noticed any behavioural differences between males and females. With all my other pets except my fish I have got females, not sure why I have chosen females, but at least I know where I stand IF I decide to breed them. I haven't seriously thought about breeding any of my pets but I do like to research all areas just in case.

Thanks

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  21:37:52  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Normals/Carolinas/Wild types/Common are all exactly the same morph!!!

No they act the same! Only way to tell sex is to get them probed!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  23:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chimp276

Spot on Chimp- Carolinas can also be referred to a classics, but yes. they are all the same

No real difference between males and females, I have one of each and they both feed, handle, and act exactly the same.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  23:50:18  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks

Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  12:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chimp276

Just a small correction: not all wild types are Carolina. See here:

http://iansvivarium.com/cornmorphs.php

As you can see on that page, there is more than one wild type. However, Carolina and Normal are two names for the same morph.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  21:42:24  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hawk.
Another question, sorry. Since when did this species of snakes name change from Elaphe guttata guttata to Pantherophis guttatus. That had me confused for a while looking at different sites with different names. And does anyone know why it was changed?

I think I may actually get my snake ealier than expected, I'm really liking the colours on teh common corn, I like the deep red with a nice outline around the saddles. Then the red blending into orange then maybe white on the bottom.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  20:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct me if im wrong guys
i think it was changed back in 2004 because scientists found that the corn snake is more closely related to the genus Pantherophis than Elaphe. Many rat snakes in the genus Elaphe have been re named because they are all so different, some being from the new world and others from the old world.

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  21:15:42  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
its even been talked about to reclassify Pantherophis AND Lampropeltis into the Pituophis genus :O

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000