New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  15:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick question:-

I have always fed my snake in the viv, and apart from him refusing mice about 3 times in 6 years, I have never had any trouble with him eating. It's only from reading the forum that I discovered most people feed their snakes in feeding tubs, etc.

Do you think I should continue feeding in the viv - after all, it's what he's used to and I don't have any problems, or do you think I should start feeding him elsewhere?

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  16:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as you feed over a piece of kitchen roll or a dish/plate of some kind so that substrate is not ingested along with the mouse, and if the snake in question does not show and aggression (because he associates you with food) when you enter the viv to do routine maintenance then i would not change how you do things.

There is really no point rocking the boat if the above is taken care of.

Edited by - n/a on 02/12/2009 16:15:23
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  17:21:28  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as bio said,i would keep it the same now

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  17:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iv always fed in the viv aswell, also without any thing underneath cuz he eats his on his branch or log. he has never gor substrate on his food without me being there and taking it off.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  18:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impaction (when snake swallows substrate) is incredibly hard to fix, depending on substrate swallowed and snakes size, it may not be able to be corrected.

Why I have newspaper substrate, it's not able to be swallowed. However Blaze has chippings, so a dish or kitchen roll is essential..

Edited by - hillzi on 02/12/2009 18:31:42
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

90 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  19:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we always feed in a tub as my little one likes to drag his food around but so long as you watch no substrate goes down with the mouse then dont see it bein a problem xx
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  20:17:53  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as well as the possibility of ingesting substrate there is the potential for your snake to think you're a mouse when you put your hand in the viv.........and get tagged!
for these reasons combined is why people often feed in tubs/RUBS, as well as being able to monitor feeding responses, photographs them better, and for a shy feeder being able to leave them undisturbed and covered over.

i feed my corns out of their vivs despite using newspaper as substrate which has no risk of ingestion. i usually do a full clean while they're out.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  03:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first got Kellog (just over 4yrs old) back in April he went on a 13 week fast (and the forum kept me sane while I drove them mad!). I offered him food as he had been fed, every 5 days...in the viv...dangling mouse...then leaving it in overnight. You can imagine the surprise/excitement/shock when I went through the normal morning routine and suddenly he struck! He has eaten ever since, but because of this previous non-feeding I continued to do it as before, in the viv. But after being on the forum I knew the dangers of feeding inside the viv. I decided recently that it wasnt worth the risk so took the chance of feeding him outside the viv. Laid a towel on the floor...put Kellog on it...dangled mouse...and immediate strike and feed with no problem. (there is a video of his 2nd outside of viv feed in video section)I then leave him until the bump is almost in the middle, then lift him gently back into the viv. I am so glad I am doing this cos it has reduced my worry about impaction (was never worried about Kellog mistaking my hand for dinner). What I am getting at it that at the age of 4 Kellog has changed from feeding in the viv to out without a problem.

It may be worth at least trying to see how your snake responds. If it doesnt like it, then return to feeding in the viv but with the precautions suggested.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  22:07:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
when i was getting my royal feeding last year, i'd only ever attempt a feed in the viv as they're so shy and stressy, so this can suit some snakes, at least while you're getting them going. i do the same with my middle Dumerils boa now. i just had/have them on paper while i'm using this approach so there's no risk of ingestion.

and on the other hand with my big Dumerils boa, if she's got a sniff of mice/rats defrosting or being heated up there's no way i'm putting my hand in her viv to get her out and tub her!!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  21:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha - don't blame you!!
Thanks all - great advice.
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  17:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Royal feeds outside the viv no probs, but whatever I try the corn won't. Suppose it depends on the snake.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  19:47:15  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'd stick to how you do it now if its eating no trouble.

mine don't get moved out for feeding and i've never had problems.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  22:11:12  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prudence

Just a quick question:-

I have always fed my snake in the viv, and apart from him refusing mice about 3 times in 6 years, I have never had any trouble with him eating. It's only from reading the forum that I discovered most people feed their snakes in feeding tubs, etc.

Do you think I should continue feeding in the viv - after all, it's what he's used to and I don't have any problems, or do you think I should start feeding him elsewhere?

I've always fed in the viv. I'm careful to place the mouse on something other than the bark. I had never heard about feeding out of the viv until I read it on here. I've never had any issues and Monty's happy so I still feed in the viv.

0.0.1 Cornsnake: Monty, 10 years old, 5ft 3".
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  21:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i feed both mine on my double bed i get an old towel and do it on there

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  22:10:47  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I feed Elijah both in and out of the viv. Just depends on what day his feed day falls on. If it's during the week I feed him in his viv on a large feeding dish. If it is at the weekend I feed him in a seperate box, on top of some scales so I can measure his weight at the same time. I also use this absence in the viv to have a clean out. I do it this way so he will grow up not having issues either way.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000