New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  17:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

My corn snake is continuously aggressive towards me, every time I go to handle him he bites all the time, every time. eventually I get him out but im not sure why hes so aggresive and insecure when I go to grab him, can you help. also ive got two heat mats is that stupid, should I only have one,
Thanks Luke

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  17:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should only heat one half of your vivarium at the most, so if your heat mats cover the entire floor it is a big problem and could also stress and harm the snake considerably if it is not able to properly thermoregulate.

I suggest removing one of the mats asap if one of them is enough to heat a third to half of the vivs floor space.

As for the aggression, how long have you had the snake?

If you only just got it then you need to leave it alone for at least a week to settle in to its new enclosure. Only go into the viv to change the water and spot clean once a day.

Now, there are tricks to calm a snake down.

First of all, put a T-shirt that you have worn all day into the viv so that the snake gets used to your smell.

Second, be confident. If you run away everytime the snake tries to bite you it will learn that it has that power over you and it will carry on doing it. If you are confident and just don't let it upset you the snake will soon learn that you are not scared.

All you can really do is realise that a bite does not even hurt and deal with it, if you get tagged you may get a few drops of blood... no big deal.

Welcome to the site as well.

Pleease feel free to post a topic in the intro section of the site to let us say hello and welcome you fully... but be warned, they WILL ask for pics of your snake. ;)

Edited by - n/a on 03/12/2009 17:47:05
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  19:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

bio has most of it covered..
first thing you do need to do though is get rid of one of those heat mats and if you dont have one already get a stat - if its way too hot then I think that could explain why hes snappy and grouchy..

how old is he? if hes older and you have only recently gotten him then it could be that hes still stressed by the move or that his previous owners didnt handle him very often - maybe even not at all, the tshirt idea is a great way to get them used to your scent without the stresses of being handled - worked for my royal who totally hated me when i first got him!!

if hes a hatchling then he sounds like our Zero - he was a feisty little thing - would lash out at everything (including me), just took some bravery and determination and now he handles well - bit jumpy but a lot better than before although with regular handling hes getting there

just go for it - if you are worried about it hurting put some thick gloves on and be brave.. the worst a corn could do is make you bleed and even then it wont be painful, if you act nervously then your snake will pick up on it and take a snap at you.. be brave!!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  18:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks alot hes 5 years old although he just moved from his previous owner with no handling for 2 years and never really cleaned out although that is now changed when he came to me, although when you get him out he dosnt hurt a fly only when hes in his vivarium that he automatically goes killer mode.
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  19:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it sounds like your snake is either defending his viv, like some dogs do or he may be used to being fed in his viv. so assumes your hand is food or bringing food! I think if he is very calm and happy when he's out of the viv. it sounds like he's just trying to defend his territory - hopefully if you persevere with picking him out the viv. he will learn you're not trying to take his home over, also feed him outside of his viv. so he does not assosiate a hand coming into the viv. with food. Putting an item of your worn clothing in there might help as well, to get used to your presence around his viv.

good luck x and keep persevering x

zan x
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  22:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, but he really is a defender I guess I put in my wooden stick that he always has in there and he goes stright for it, got to keep going hopefully hell come to his senses, although hes kinda putting me off corns I really wanted a ball python but I got this all for free so ill see how this affair goes,
Luke.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  18:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if hes not been handled and rarely cleaned out then it could explain why hes so snappy..
hes literally gone from no contact to regular water changes and people wanting to handle him so it will take time as it is a massive change for him..
just keep perservering and eventually he will start to realise that you arent a threat but please dont let him put you off corns..one day it will all pay off

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000