New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  10:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning guys n gals,

Sorry to jump straight in and ask for help without even saying hi or such, I will get round to it, but I am kind of at my wits end and need help.

I have had my Corn Snake since the end of October, (he was born in september) and have had no problems with him or his setup apart from one; He wont eat more than 1 pinkie at a time.

When I got him, the store said he was onto 2 pinkies every 7 days, but when i tried this, (after the settling in period), he regurgitated one about 24 hours later.

I leave him for 10 days after each regurg and then put him back onto 1 pinkie every 5 days for a few feeds, before trying 2 pinkies again, but everytime the same result.

The temperatures in the viv are 30o in the warm hide & 21o over in the cold half. He always strikes and constricts both pnikies he is fed and if i only feed him 1, he always goes looking for another.

Since I have had him, he has grown to 18g and 41cm, but in the last few weeks he has stopped growing, and I am worried this is due to the lack of food. 1 pinkie no longer leaves any bulge at all in his stomach.

He doesn't seem stressed or unhappy, and i love him dearly but i am at my wits end at the moment with worry. Is it worth my trying him on bigger food rather than 2 pinkies?

Hope someone can help

p.s. Sorry for long post

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  11:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
-Single pinks (2-3g) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

This is a snake feed chart (courtesy of someone else, not me). If your snake is only 18g then it should be ok on double pinkies.

Your snake is still eating, which is a good thing because it won't starve. However, if you could provide us with alot more info about your snakes routine etc. you will get some pretty decent answers. eg: how long do you leave it after feeding before you handle your snake, how many hides does it have in its viv, what do you use to monitor temps etc etc etc.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  11:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have been trying to leave him alone completely when he has 2 pinkies so as not to disturb him, but everytime i look into his viv 36-48 hours after feeding him there is the regurg'd pinkie in his viv, so i handle him after that.

When i feed him 1 pinkie i handle him after 48 hours and he is always fine.

I have 2 hides for him, one in the cold half which is 3/4 buried under aspen so he can feel safe and the other hide is in the warm end, same setup just with a heatmat underneath. The heatmat is attached to a microclimate 100 ministat set at 30o. There are plants and water in his viv, and he can move around from one hide to the other without being seen, i set the viv up like this on purpose to make him comfetable.

He also likes to bury under the aspen and lay half on the heatmat and half off of it. I have 2 aquarium digital thermometers in the viv, one for each end, measuring the substrate temp mainly to ensure the ministat is working correctly
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  11:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

SB77's weight guide is indeed what we usually recommend here, but there is another marker to go by: the bulge. You are saying one pinkie no longer leaves a bulge but is not enough to get him growing, only enough to maintain current weight. So, how about trying a fuzz? See if he eats that, and if he does but brings that fuzz up then I'd suspect his stomach cannot stretch enough to accommodate the bulk, and then I'd say go to the vet.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  12:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

SB77's weight guide is indeed what we usually recommend here, but there is another marker to go by: the bulge. You are saying one pinkie no longer leaves a bulge but is not enough to get him growing, only enough to maintain current weight. So, how about trying a fuzz? See if he eats that, and if he does but brings that fuzz up then I'd suspect his stomach cannot stretch enough to accommodate the bulk, and then I'd say go to the vet.

Completely agree, your setup sounds perfect, though repeated regurges usually require a trip to the vet.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  17:10:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've never multiple fed and mine are fine, don't worry

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  18:35:27  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
go to rep shop an ask to pick ya frozen mice an pick the biggest pinkies

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  19:34:55  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
or smallest fuzzies

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  22:34:53  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
feeding multiple prey items isn't essential, like has been suggested above if you buy your frozen food from your local rep shop they'll usually let you see the sizes and let you pic and choose.

i'd also increase the frequency of feeds to every 5 days providing he doesn't regurge. and as SB said earlier persistant regurge really does need investigating by an exotics vet.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  22:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for ya help. I will leave him now to recover and feed him a single pinkie a few times to make sure he is back to normal, i will then try him with a small fuzzy.

If there is no joy then, i will take advice from a vet.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  19:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi.

Cany anyone give me some help please? I have a 3 year old corn snake and i feed him 1 medium rat every 7 days and he hasn't ate in the last tow feed i have tryed with him. Nothing has been chaged so what else could it be ?

Help please.
Go to Top of Page

danbaylis35
Hatchling

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  20:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he is horny lol its breeding season so ur 3yr old is wanting to mate and can go off his food :)

mr.chunky (amel),ssssssteve (western hognose),Cruela (dwarf boa)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  21:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aw thank you i was told that would happen but wasn't really sure when.So is there any chance you could tell me when to try feed him again then?
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  11:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryanbryant1

aw thank you i was told that would happen but wasn't really sure when.So is there any chance you could tell me when to try feed him again then?

Have replied in detail to your post about this - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7705

Just keep offering him a mouse (not rat) on his normal feeding day, if he doesnt take it leave it in viv overnight and then remove it in morning if it is still there. Then wait again until next feeding day. Keep repeating til he decides to feed.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 11/01/2010 11:59:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000