New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  18:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,
Ive just recently got a kitten a month ago, and since the little fella's arrival my 3 year old corn snake Hera has refused 2 of her feeds and looks as if she has lost a little weight.
Coincedently, i was advised to increase her feed size to large mice as before she was still hunting around for more food whilst she was taking medium mice.
She accepted a large mouse on one occasion and then refused her 2 feeds after that. I was worried so recently tried her with 2 pinkies as i mentioned she had refused her previous feeds and she took those fine.
Im sure she isn't entering her shedding phase, so what im really asking is could the arrival of my kitten be the cause of her refusing her food? Do you think she is distressed by the smell or noise of the kitten?
I keep the kitten away from her viv as best i can.
Ive had Hera now for about 6 months and she hasnt refused her feeds before.
or do you think that the size of the larger mice is putting her off?

any thoughts would be appreciated,
many thanks.

Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.
Plato

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  22:26:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Bear

i know my cats have terrorised some of my snakes in the past, they think the snakes are like an interactive telly or PS2 game or something lol
as i couldn't keep the cats away or out of that particular room i had a re-shuffle and put the stressy corns higher up in the stacks and the big chilled out ones at the bottom where the cats would peer in.........
so the short and skinny of this is yes, it could be down to the kitten. is there any way of either shutting the kitten out of the room the viv is in or moving the snake to a different room that the kitten can be shut out of?

i'd also go back down a mouse-size till you get feeding established again, there's a very slim possibility it could be the increase in food item size but it's rare for corns

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  22:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

Xbox 360 game or something

There was something wrong with your post GP, but i've amended it.

It could be the cat, or the weather. Like GP has said, move the snake to somewhere the kitten has minimum chances of getting at snakey to potentially annoy it.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  08:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

Xbox 360 game or something

There was something wrong with your post GP, but i've amended it.

It could be the cat, or the weather. Like GP has said, move the snake to somewhere the kitten has minimum chances of getting at snakey to potentially annoy it.

hey people thanks so much for your replies and ive now moved her out of reach and sight of the little kitten toerag and she seems more calm and is eating again, i went down a size of prey and its worked a treat,
thanks for easing the worry
GB

Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.
Plato
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2010 :  04:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

hey people thanks so much for your replies and ive now moved her out of reach and sight of the little kitten toerag and she seems more calm and is eating again, i went down a size of prey and its worked a treat,
thanks for easing the worry
GB

Dan, I am so pleased that she is calm and eating again. You have obviously done the right thing by moving her out of 'toerags' reach, well done.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 13/01/2010 04:24:05
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2010 :  11:01:40  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats great news but when the snakey grows bigger just feed the kitten to the snake.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2010 :  15:28:09  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It could be worse - I've got an hamster that seems to like terrorising Nagini for different reasons.

She loves to prance about in her ball outside his viv as if to say 'you want me ... but you can't have me'

Poor Nagini. He's gutted.

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2010 :  16:50:45  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

It could be worse - I've got an hamster that seems to like terrorising Nagini for different reasons.

She loves to prance about in her ball outside his viv as if to say 'you want me ... but you can't have me'

Poor Nagini. He's gutted.

Feed the hamster to Nagini.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000