How To - Measure your snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  14:53:28  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like to keep an idea on Alices growth. Weight is no problem obviously. Set of digital scales and a small RUB. But it was always difficult getting a length measurement.

Anyway, I came up with this idea which seems to work quite well, for adult snakes at least.

I used two cardboard tubes, from christmas wrapping paper. One fits snugly inside the other so you can adjust the length. Snake goes in one end and when the tip of her snout reaches the other end adjust the length so her tail just disappears. Then just measure the tube length.

You should be able to utilise smaller tubes for younger snakes. Maybe from greaseproof paper or kitchen foil?

IMORTANT NOTE - Please be sure the tubes are large enough so your snake doesn't get stuck!!!

Bud

Corn Snake Forum Members Map

Please add your details HERE

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  14:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BTW - Alice is now 4ft 4in!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  15:03:03  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hehe this made me laugh XD seems like fun but I think one of my snaks would get stuck >.< How do you get the snakey to stay still?

I tried snake measuring software before but I have no idea how accurate it is.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  17:15:24  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good idea..!
If only Spaghettino was bigger..
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  18:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
brilliant lol

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  20:10:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great idea but milo is only just bigger than a kitchen roll tube

0.0.1 Carolina Corn (Milo)
1.1.0 Staffys (Harley&Penny)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2010 :  03:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had same problem, having been going by shed length and deducting 10%.

My son come up with the idea of a lego tunnel, had great fun building it and then guiding Kellog into it....this was the result -

As you can see the problem was he kept bending his body against the sides of the tunnel, so no way to get an accurate length - but it was good fun!

Better start saving kitchen roll tubes - although his main body length could go straight through, his first part and last part of body could still bend, so probably wont be 100% accurate.....more more accurate than our pathetic attempt and just as fun!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2010 :  06:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great idea!

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2010 :  09:59:51  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Would certainly be a good idea when the snakes get bigger, i have to guesstimate our snakes length at the minute.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2010 :  16:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

My son come up with the idea of a lego tunnel, had great fun building it and then guiding Kellog into it....this was the result -

As you can see the problem was he kept bending his body against the sides of the tunnel, so no way to get an accurate length - but it was good fun!

Better start saving kitchen roll tubes - although his main body length could go straight through, his first part and last part of body could still bend, so probably wont be 100% accurate.....more more accurate than our pathetic attempt and just as fun!

xxx

HAHA!

Kellog Cheated!
Did you not explain The Rules to him before hand??
HAHA!!!
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  05:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

My son come up with the idea of a lego tunnel, had great fun building it and then guiding Kellog into it....

xxx

HAHA!

Kellog Cheated!
Did you not explain The Rules to him before hand??
HAHA!!!
xXx

Of course I explained the rules....but you know snakes, they will do anything and everything to keep us guessing and do the unexpected !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  09:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesnt running a string through your hands at the same time as the snake moves through work? Then you just measure the string when done.

Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  14:44:03  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kare

Doesnt running a string through your hands at the same time as the snake moves through work? Then you just measure the string when done.

That does seem much simpler

Just like me to 'over-engineer' everything I do! Anyway, my argument is Alice finds my way a lot of fun too

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  04:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kare

First thing I tried but Kellog would never stay still long enough for me to run the string along them and he would move to fast and slithery through my hands to keep the string along them accurately. Probably easier with smaller snakes than mine though, not particular easy to run such a big snake through your hands !

Think I prefer the element of fun as well , even when it doesnt work !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  09:21:13  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gonna have to go an get me some lego XD I think there too big to go through tiny rolls unless I use many toilet rolls XD
I couldn't use the string methods, I would end up messing it up somehow and there's no mine would stay still

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  10:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
time to get the kids building a lego tube..lol

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic