Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  19:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice
We moved house at Christmas, and Tinker has been off her food since just before the move. She has fed only 3 times since february and is now for the first time in 3 years spending most of her time trying to get out of her viv.
We let her out everyday, and she is very happy wondering about even amongst the mayhem of 3 kids.
Her viv is 2" x 4" x 2.5" with 2 shelves, she is 3.
Is this a breeding thing?
I really look forward to any help and advice you can offer.
Lulu

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  22:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it definatley female? This is typical male behaviour when looking for females.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  05:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would ask the same question as Matty, Louise. We have had a number of forum members who thought their snakes were female and only discovered they werent when they went off their food and became hyperactive at this time of year. They then went to get them sexed and found out they were male.

What are the temps in her viv? I am trying to think of anything else that may put her off her food....if she is a she.

Have a look at this link for ideas on how to encourage her to feed - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

Let us know how she is doing.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  11:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kellog and Matty
We havent had him/her probed as everyone who has seen Tink has said female. So will away to do the unmentionable next week.
Here are a few snaps of her .. erm him??

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  12:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cant help you with the sex Louise, but Tinker is a gorgeous snake and has a great set-up! I love that first pic!!

Do you weigh her? If not then I would suggest you start as that way you can see if she is losing any weight and at what rate - if 'she' is off 'her' food cos 'she' is horny then the weight loss will be fairly small as it is a natural fast, whereas if it is for some other reason I would have thought that 'she' would lose weight a lot faster.

It is very difficult to tell a snake's sex from looking....virtually impossible I would have thought. I know there is supposedly a difference in length and shape of tail, but that cant be relied on. The only way to be sure is to have 'her' probed, which (I have heard) a lot of good rep shops will do for free.

I will be interested to find out whether 'she' is a 'she' or a 'he' !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2010 :  16:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's a he
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2010 :  16:05:09  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That will probably explain the lack of eating then.

Males tend to stop eating for a while when they're hoping to get some female action.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  03:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lulu

She's a he

To be honest that must be a relief as it does explain why HE hasnt been eating and hopefully he will again soon as I THINK we are coming to the end of the breeding season (*she says hopefully desperate for her 2 males to start eating *)

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2010 :  21:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is a relief, and he seems a lot quieter today too only 'asked' to come out once then crawled onto my 10 year olds lap for a doze, it's like having a labrador that can hide under the sofa.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  09:44:10  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He is a super snake. Love the viv, what a posh home he has!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  10:13:54  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
HAHAHAHA, fab description! also, doesn't leave all those hairs over everything!!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: