Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2013 :  23:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Post pics to be sure. But at that age I doubt she's over weight. I feed fuzzies every 6-7 days x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2013 :  22:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply.

Ok so the areas that got me thinking are on this picture

However, a closer look shows the white area is not around the scales but part of their pattern

So all is well!

1.1.0 Jim Caramel Tessera, Rosie Motley
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2013 :  23:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Far to teeny to be over weight :)

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

andria2013
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2013 :  13:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my 6ft snake (robin) is new . I got him only 2 weeks ago , he was used to being fed a rat once every 4 week , but the other snake I have in same viv with him , he seems to have lost weight in the 1yr

Go to Top of Page

andria2013
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2013 :  13:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have been visiting the house, cud it be he not getn enough from this 1 rat every 4 weeks . cos he half the size he used to be for a 5ft snake

Go to Top of Page

andria2013
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2013 :  13:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont wanna make them fat by over feeding them thinking they need more

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2013 :  06:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first concern would be the fact that the 2 snakes are being kept together Andrea, the weight loss could very easily be down to stress. Some people do keep snakes together and it is a hotly debated topic, but you need to be aware of the risks. This might help - Can my 2 snakes live together?

I'm also concerned that your snake was being fed a rat every 4 weeks. Do you know what size? The maximum size rat to feed a corn snake would be a weaned rat, which is equivalent to an x-large mouse, and you would usually feed that every couple of weeks. Most of us feed our fully grown adults one large mouse every 10 days/fortnight and that is perfectly fine.

Do you know his weight? Is he behaving normally? What are the temps in the viv? The more info you can give us, the more we can help.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Welshlamb
Yearling

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2013 :  17:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Venon was a fatty. Can see the difference from your pictures. Good job and I can see this topic becoming very useful.
Amazing what some toilet tubes and stairs can do and a good diet.
Go to Top of Page

andria2013
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2013 :  17:51:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the viv is about 25c . they behaving normally . and they sleep in 2 seperate sides hardly ever together. I dont know theyre weights yet .

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2013 :  18:38:37  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am confused Andria, did you get the other snake at the same time? Or did you have the other one previously? How I am reading it is that you had a snake previously, and not to stray too far from the weight subject, they shouldn't be in the same viv and the new snake should have been quarantined to avoid any health issues being passed onto the other snake. That aside, I would ditch the rats and feed large mice every 10-14 days.

What temp is the hot end and the cool end? Do you know how much weight the other snake has lost?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  01:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after checking her after a bad shed, noticed the gaps around scales. Is she fat? not eaten for 2 months, not bothered as drinking ok.
before was on a large mouse or rat weaner every 14 days

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Jacquie72
Egg

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2014 :  11:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My major concern is Henry's weight. He's 4.5ft, I should imagine (as I've only had him about 4 weeks) he's got to be about 4 or 5 years old. And he's about 289gms and he's more toberelone than loaf shape. He was pretty skinny when I got him and he was being fed one small mouse a week. I've upped the mouse to a mid sized, though I suspect he's probably in need of a large mouse. He gets lots of exercise as I usually get him out for about an hour a day to clamber over me and the sofa (stuff on there for him to climb over) but I'm sure he should be at least 50-100gms heavier than what he is. What does anyone else think? These are the only images I have right now as the camera is still away.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Grrrrr! I can't post photos!

But I can ;) - photos added Gmac

Animals need us to protect them and to love them.

Edited by - Jacquie72 on 24/02/2014 11:51:35
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2014 :  08:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've covered this a bit on your other thread Jacquie. If he is Toblerone-shaped then that is indicating that he is verging on under-weight. I'm glad you've weighed him as it's important to keep a record of that.

You don't want to power-feed him and overwhelm his system, so you've done the right thing in increasing his feeds to medium mice and now is probably the time to up him to larges. It may be that he stays that shape, corns are supposed to be long and thin. But as long as he's eating and putting on weight he'll be fine .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  08:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At 4.5ft he should definitely be heavier and not toblerone shape. As Kellog says, I would increase to large mice weekly until he fills out (then once he's at a good shape drop down to larges every couple of weeks). Corno is about the same length and over 500g. She's feed a large every 14-18 days as I was a little worried she was getting too fat... although now breeding season is starting I'm less worried as she just cruised her viv all day every day last time so she'll probably keep herself trim that way lol!

Go to Top of Page

Lee
Yearling

United Kingdom
522 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  22:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is over 1000g and he's around 6 years old and 5ft, nice shape and muscle tone.

1.2.4 Corn Snakes - Carolina, 2 x Bloodred het Lavender, Amel, Snow, Anery and Carolina.
0.0.1 Cali King - Ziggy - escaped!!
RIP Princess x
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  09:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Mine is over 1000g and he's around 6 years old and 5ft, nice shape and muscle tone.

Snakes do differ Lee and a certain snake may 'carry' it's weight better than another. I must admit I do find it hard to imagine a 5ft corn that's over 1000g. 2 of my adult males are around that length and I try to keep their weights around the 800g mark. Anything more than that and I get concerned about the extra weight they're carrying. People tend to forget that corns are supposed to be long and thin....and that it's a lot harder to get the weight off than it is to put it on, just like with us .

Out of interest, what are you feeding him and how often?

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

SilverWings
Yearling

United Kingdom
740 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  09:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 4.5ft male was 1125g when I first got him, he's around the 950g mark now and still on a diet but still incredibly chunky. He feels totally different to the others, they are lithe and muscly and he is squishy and has trouble moving on smooth floors. He doesn't *look* fat anymore, but I'm going by the feel of him and by his movement. He has trouble going up the stairs too, tends to go sideways.

2.2.3 Corn snakes; Red, Rosie, Liana, Checkers, Luna, Diego, Snowman
1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake; Aleron
1.0 Green Anoles; Doug
1.0 Greyhound; Lee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000