New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

priento
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2014 :  18:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey Guys! ive read that you shoudlnt put corns with other corns as babies because of cannibalism etc so what age then do you think its fine to put in another with it?

Hebi is either a light amel or a reverse okeetee at about 16-18" long; is she past the cannibalist stage??

1.0.0 Amel/Reverse Okeetee Corn snake - Hebi
0.1.0 Bicolor Cat - Luna
1.0.0 Bengal Eagle Owl - Aloe
1.0.0 Budgie
1.5.0 Guppies
0.0.4 Neon Tetras

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2014 :  18:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is always a risk of a larger corn snake eating a smaller one and if they are fed together there is a fairly high chance they could both go for the same food item then the first to finish keep eating the other and both could die.

Personally, I would never keep more than one corn snake in the same viv. I don't even cohabit mine when I'm breeding them (they are moved into a tub and supervised then put back into separate vivs).

Many people who keep corn snakes do not think they should be housed together. People claim that they like being together as they sit together etc, this is because they are in the optimum space in the viv. I don't think corn snakes should have to compete for the best spots or deal with unnecessary stress of cohabiting. I would recommend you do not put another corn snake in with your current one. If you get a second viv it would sit nicely on top of the other and take up little more space.

Have a read of this thread about sharing vivs etc. : http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs

Edited by - Moppet on 17/04/2014 18:17:27
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2014 :  09:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second what Moppet said there. Its best for the snake to be kept alone as they aren't sociable creatures. Also, while you may have to pay a little extra buying another enclosure, its nothing compared to the cost of taking 2 snakes to the vets if one becomes ill and you're not sure which, plus the high risk of spreading disease.

The thread posted is definitely worth a read.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2014 :  08:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both Moppet and Mort13 are right Joao. That is a good thread discussing keeping snakes together and you'll see from it that it is quite a 'hot' topic, with lots of different opinions.

My personal opinion....yes, people can and do keep corns together, seemingly without issue. But is it without risk? No.

For me it's a case of looking at the pros and cons for the SNAKES of keeping them together. Personally I can list the cons - Cannibalism/fighting. No, I'm not scaremongering, it does happen. I know of owners who have cohabited snakes 'happily' for years and then one snake has attacked the other and they've had to be separated.

Stress caused by making snakes that are solitary in the wild live together. This can result in non-feeding and other health issues. If you find a regurge or poo that looks wrong how do you know which snake did it? If one gets ill the other is likely to as well, meaning increased vet bills.

Sexing is never 100% so you may land up with a male and female together in which case there is the likelihood of the male constantly harassing the female and the female becoming gravid, maybe before she's old enough to lay eggs. Then you have the risks of egg-binding.

As for the pros, I still have to find any that relate to the snakes' quality of life. I think the question you need to ask yourself is 'Is it worth the risk?'. I know what my answer is. Hope that helps.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000