Corns missed 2 feeds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phil2
Hatchling

114 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2015 :  20:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any reason why, temp about 29 been no change, very active all week thought she was lookig for food but not interested now, 6 years old

1 adult striped corn snake

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  08:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be that she's reacting to it being breeding season Phil. During this time corns become more active, exploring their vivs and trying to escape. Often they'll go off their food as well. Mine average about 13 weeks without eating! Luckily they can go a long time without food so this isn't an issue.

It's best not to assume this is the reason though and to make sure nothing else might be causing it. You say the temperature is 29oC. I'm assuming that's the warm end. What heat source are you using? Does it have a thermostat to control it and a digital thermometer to monitor it? Can you describe her set up? How long have you had her? What does she normally eat and how often? How much does she weigh?

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  08:54:59  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the breeding season has arrived then. Looking for a girlfriend and feeling all loved up!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

phil2
Hatchling

114 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  11:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh yes i remember this last year, by the way i think shes a girl never had her probed so unsure, are males the same, 29 warm end with heat lamp clntrolled bu thermostat and digital thermometer. Shes on jumbo mice weekly, 3ft viv all hides etc, aspen bedding, just constantly trying to get out, i thought its because iv got rats in the next room recently, pets not food, thought she could feel vibrations of them on wheel, shes6 unsure on weight but lookds fine. Should i still offer food weekly, seems a waste lol

Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  15:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah... males are more likely than females not to eat during breeding season... the fact that he/she is also very active, sounds like it's the breeding season behaviour, and "she" could be a " he ".

Your temperatures sounds spot on, and you have a thermostat, so the snakey shouldn't be trying to escape from too warm viv - but I'd say feeding a jumbo weekly is way, way too much ( unless your snake is skinny, and you are trying to get it to put on weight ), so it will probably do him/ her no harm not to eat for a while :-)

I tend to feed my adult corns on a large mouse every 12 - 14 days, if I feed Jumbo, then I leave it 2 weeks till next feed - and they are in " good condition " ( ie getting a bit chubby )

If you are worried, you could weigh the snake monthly, to make sure there isn't too much of weight loss - or you could try offering a smaller mouse - maybe a medium. I find my males are more likely to eat during breeding season, if the mouse is smaller - but no guarantees. I know some peoples snakes don't eat for months during breeding season.

Good luck, and try not to worry, as long as your snake is a good weight and healthy, and your viv conditions are right, he/ she should be ok.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

phil2
Hatchling

114 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2015 :  15:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He/ she is about 5 foot, ok ill keep an eye on him, hope its a he but dont want to get probed guess ill never know ha

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  09:11:16  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've got females who go off food and are constantly looking for an escape route to find their man too!
It wouldn't hurt to just offer food on a fortnightly basis. Saves half the waste if not eaten....

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

phil2
Hatchling

114 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  11:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah will do thanks

Go to Top of Page

Charles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  22:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rosie is the most active I have seen her. Trashing her via every night. Breeding time I think

1.1.0 Jim Caramel Tessera, Rosie Motley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000