New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2016 :  11:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least that's what all my male corns are trying to tell me. All of them had shed, fed and pooped, and are on the move....

Found Twiddler - somehow - hanging off the vent at the back of the viv - considering how heavy and big he is, that's quite an achievement. He had his nose pressed against the vent, too, and Basil ( female ) in the bottom viv, was on the move, too.

Seb is now alternatively trying to dig his way out of the viv, or attacking the vents. I heard the first ever ( this year ) tell tale "bang!!!" as his nose slips when pressing on the vent...grr.

Even the yearling Squidwood is digging like mad, and started leaving sperm plugs around, so it's clear he's an adult ( as far as he's concerned ). I took him out yesterday, and he even twitched several times!

So, I now have 3 males going bonkers and thrashing their vivs . On one hand, it's nice to see them out, on the other, it's sad seeing them so frustrated and desperate. I'm also worried that - especially Seb - they could damage their noses.

The only way I found to stop them is to let Basil crawl into a box and out, and then put the empty box in one of the male's viv. They then spend hours sniffing the box and even go to sleep in it, possibly in the vain hope that the female that was clearly in there before will return.
Seems a bit mean, but it stops ( especially in Seb's case ) the mad headbashing of the vents for a bit...

Anyone has any other advice how to stop them damaging themselves trying to get out?

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2016 :  17:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, no other ideas, but i do think what you are doing with the box is a good idea

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2016 :  19:03:58  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sheldon has not stopped all day. fun times.

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2016 :  12:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, is Sheldon the one you are breeding?

0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Quillruke
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2016 :  14:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At what rough age do corns start wanting to breed? Is there a noticeable difference in breeding time behaviours between males and females?
Vivec is only just over a year old and unsexed (I don't want to sex him and potentially stress him until I'm certain I want to breed him and have the setup ready for babies, and he is the 3 years and 300g (he is already 3 foot long) in case he is a female), and so far seems uninterested in the thought of finding another snake, but it's bound to happen eventually.

0.1.0 carrot tail leopard gecko, Gelbstoff
0.1.0 bearded dragon, Dany
0.0.1 amel stripe het hypo corn snake, Vivec
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2016 :  18:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it varies, it very much depends on size, rather than age of snake. And it's mostly males that go mental in breeding season, as they are trying to look for girls, though I've heard some girls can roam, too.

No point putting Vivec through probing ( he's too old for popping ), if you don't want to breed. If you do, the longer you leave it and the bigger he/ she is,the better. There are other ways to tell - tail length but that's not very reliable. Also, mature males have a slightly different shape of the tail, if you look from underneath, I think there's a drawing comparing tail shapes on Kathy Love website.

0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2016 :  08:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strangely, both Twiddler and Bazil have stopped roaming completely now for a few weeks ( not that Bazil does much roaming, anyway ).

On the other hand, Seb, who is in our bedroom, is going mental, spends day and night climbing and pulling newspaper from under the bedding and making origami. I have to keep the kitty away from the bedroom, as she tried to attack the Viv by leaping at the glass from bed, when she saw him and heard the rustling.

As a result, I have Seb out of the Viv every day, and he's perfectly happy to sit on me and chill then.

0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page

gaz1974
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2016 :  18:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My female corn has gone ballistic over the last few days. She's all over the viv, climbing on her branches ( that she normally ignores) and dragging bedding into her water bowl!

0.1.0 CB 11Amel Corn "Fuzzy"
0.1.0 CB14 Hypo Jungle Boa "Fizzy"
Pair of Woma Pythons
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2016 :  19:40:54  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sheldon is still out 24/7. Hoping when I breed them it will calm him down a bit

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly