New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PyroJosh
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2015 :  23:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys, bit of a worrying time at the minute, i have owned my corns now for about 2 years, and they were 3 when i got them, and both apparently female (i know cohabiting is a much debated subject but until now i have had no issues its a very large viv and plenty of room and hides in both ends for either snake to be alone although they still insist on curling up together) anway thats a little background info

now to the worrying bit looked inside my viv the other day and found a pile of eggs! i quickly did some research and came to the conclusion they were all infertile, small, very yellow, mishapen etc etc. so in a panic i froze and disposed of them as i was advised by the local pet store (even though it still made me feel like a cruel evil horrible human being) :( now im just worried about the health of the snakes as i know this process can be hard on them, what should i look out for, one has shed since (the layer im assuming) and i am going to try a feed tomorrow.

also is it possible one of my snakes is a male hence the eggs or is it possible for females to just lay infertile eggs of their own accord.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Newbie Snake Owner/Carer

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  11:54:07  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My female laid infertile eggs this year, never been near a male.
I would separate them just in case, if one is male he will harass the female to mate again and again and could make her ill.

I would suggest feeding her a smaller prey item every 5 or 6 days for a few weeks before going back to her normal size food.

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

PyroJosh
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  17:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the advice. ill see if i can tempt her with a small mouse today and i will have to dig out the old viv for the other just in case i suppose, just got my nice big one set up how i wanted it for them too, typical :P

Newbie Snake Owner/Carer
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  18:31:57  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would definitely separate them and get them sexed by a reptile shop

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

PyroJosh
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  20:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well they were supposed to have been sexed before both as females but is it possible they got it wrong the first time? they have been together for nearly 5 or 6 years and this is the first occasion t there have been eggs :/ will have to see if i can find the nearest reptile store and see what i can do. might have an extra large viv for sale if i have to separate them!

Newbie Snake Owner/Carer
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  10:55:28  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They could still both be female, but I wouldn't advise keeping them together anyway.

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: