Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  23:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey folks,

I'm new to RUBs. Kept corn snakes for a good while but always used faunariums for youngsters then upgraded to Vivs.

I've recently got a Brazilian Rainbow Boa and the general consensus was that a faunarium wouldn't retain the humidity like a RUB. So my research into RUBs began. I came across a few posts on the internet about hatchlings escaping from RUBs by managing to squeeze through the small gap in the lid. More so on the larger RUBs but I could get my little finger through the gap on a 12L RUB, with some force granted but even so I figured that it was a possibility, even if only a slim one.

Some people suggested cardboard around the edges, but with the humidity in my setup it would need changing almost daily as it would go soggy.

I looked into making my own rubber seal from thin rubber, and in my search for some suitable material I came across this...

It is a thin rubber anti-slip matting. It is sold in 1m rolls in places like home bargains for 79 pence. I have only cut this one quickly to try it out but there is enough to do a 9L RUB and 2 x 12L RUBs.

The lid now fits really snug, no gap and ventilation is maintained...

]

I will trim it neatly tomorrow so it is a bit easier on the eye. Hope this helps someone out at some point.

Cheers,

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

Razee
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2525 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2017 :  16:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one, and it still allows for some air exchange :-) Nice cottages, but the way.

0.1.0 late CB10 Carolina corn snake - Bazilishka
1.0.0 CB11 Abbots Okeetee- Little Twiddler
1.0.0 CB11 Hypo corn- Sebastianek
1.0.0. CB14 Butter Motley - Squidwood
0.0.2 CB18 normal/ Okeetee yearlings Bunny and Lalalishka
0.0.1 hognose
0.1.0 stable cat
0.1.0 house cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly