unexpected eggs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  11:49:50  Show Profile
i have two female corns and one male and a month or two back my dad put the male in the females enclosure by mistake whilst cleaning the tank and recently i realised my female was laying eggs, as this has come as short notice i have not got an incubator i have just placed some damp paper towel in a plastic rubbermaid tub on top of a heat pad and placed the eggs in that, i am waiting for an incubator which will be here on thursday and it is now tuesday, will the eggs survive? it is 80f in there at the moment and humidity seems good, any advice?

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  11:55:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
where about are you? if your Leeds ish i could helps.................
otherwise get a plastic tub put in an inch or so of damp vermiculite, half bury the eggs in the verm then cover with damp sphagnum moss or a damp paper towel (not soaking wet though) try to keep the eggs the right way up, mark them with a pencil if you need to.
ideally they want to be incubated at about 28-30*C so you could leave the tub in the viv on the heatmat if you set your stat accordingly, just make sure your snakes can't get in to the eggs. if you place a lid on the plastic tub make sure it has airholes/ventilation.

good luck and keep us posted

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  11:59:29  Show Profile
im bury near manchester. The tub isnt in the tank as i have a spare heat pad its on its own at the moment, is it too late to pick the eggs up and place in vermiculite as they have now been in the tub on the heat pad for neally 2 days now
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  12:22:58  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
as long as you do it carefully you should be fine, marking the top of the eggs can help if you're prone to 'blonde moment' lol

are you running the heatmat off a stat? a pulse or a dimmer would be best as they hold temps more accurately that an on/off stat.

my homemade incubator is pretty basic but that's all it needs to be..........
a polystyrene box with a heatmat in the bottom, running off a pulse stat there's some pics on this thread................. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3039&SearchTerms=my,incubator

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  10:55:17  Show Profile
Update! i purchased some vermiculite yesterday afternoon and now the humidity levels are touching 90%, the heat pad is at the moment on its own but i do have a spare thermostat, its called a microclimate ministat 100 if you know that kind. Should i connect the heat pad to that and set it to 80F
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  11:50:05  Show Profile
good luck with your eggs!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  18:31:17  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
good luck mate. im in manchester also not many people live near me hehe.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  20:47:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
yes get the stat plugged in and aim for about 28-30*C, it's an on/off type stat so you'll get a bit of variation in temps but the eggs should still do ok

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000