Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  23:34:06  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SanJ

I have 3 corns a snow corn which is about a year old, a candy cain and a orange and white one all albino, iv put another one in and it jus disapeared eatin by the big one me thinks casper (snow corn)

Hope you have a big viv to provide them with 2 hidey places each. It will be next to impossible I would think to get a viv big enough for them when they are adults.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  09:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told my hatchlings were the same sex kept them together and imagine my surprise when i found eggs one evening. I was lucky the female survived as she was only one n half years old. Also turned out that the male dominated her hense she wasnt a good eater, we thought they were happy cuddled up together, she is now thriving since being seperated last year.I wouldnt house together again also it is difficult to sex hatchlings.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  18:54:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A simulator thing happened to me Kitty, although my snakes we not that old. I got told even if they were a different sexes that they wouldn't mate unless I put them into hibernation. I think my my female was uneasy around my male even though they curled up together as sometimes she would be funny about eating and she had regurgitated 2 times.

She is in a separate viv now, she's still a bit skinny but she's a lot better now. Before when she was in with the male I never used to really see her out and about and when she was, she acted crazy thrashing about everywhere. She's slowly coming out and acting normally. I would never put them in the same viv again even if it wasn't breeding season as breeding season is now while my corns bred in winter so really, breeding season or not, they will breed.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  23:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to answer all the questions regarding my corns...

Yes I have 3 corns all in the same viv they've been together for jus over a year 2 of them are sibblings and the oldest/biggest casper was my first from somewhere seperate they're all quite happy together and are always in the same hide together

And my Viv is 5 1/2 ft wide by 2 ft deep

Albino, means red eyes (i think) heres some websites

http://john1979.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reptiles/snakes/albinocornsnake.php

P.s. is there a way i can get notification via email when ppl post something on here where iv posted something (aka when someone might of replied to me)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  23:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

Hope you have a big viv to provide them with 2 hidey places each. It will be next to impossible I would think to get a viv big enough for them when they are adults.
[/quote]

my viv is 5 1/2 ft wide by 2 ft deep with 2 big hides at each end
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  23:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would jus like to add something about snakes sharing a viv...

I have 3 corns all in the same viv its a big viv we custom made 5.5 ft wide by 2 ft deep with 2 big hides at each end, they've been in the same viv now for jus over a year and are always in the same hide huddled up together (unless they wanna warm up then thay go to the hide over the heat mat)

Also the ppl I got my snakes off have 5 corns in a viv same size as mine together and they're always huddeled up together in one of the 2 big hides in there

Also alot of ppl i know have been keepin 2-4 corns in big'ish (4-5 ft wide) together and have only heard of corns gettin eatin twice (one of which was mine RIP Zeus)

From what I'v been readin on this forum some ppl might have a problem with keepin corns like this but from my experience (which is 3 years in constant contact with breeders and jus over a year of that is me ownin 3 corns) snakes sharin a viv is fine and corns eatin one and other is rare....u are literally doin it at your own risk but I'd say theres bout a 85% - 90% chance it'll be fine
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  00:18:03  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

......u are literally doin it at your own risk...........

At the snakes risk.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  03:10:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Would jus like to add something about snakes sharing a viv...

I have 3 corns all in the same viv its a big viv we custom made 5.5 ft wide by 2 ft deep with 2 big hides at each end, they've been in the same viv now for jus over a year and are always in the same hide huddled up together (unless they wanna warm up then thay go to the hide over the heat mat)

Also the ppl I got my snakes off have 5 corns in a viv same size as mine together and they're always huddeled up together in one of the 2 big hides in there

Also alot of ppl i know have been keepin 2-4 corns in big'ish (4-5 ft wide) together and have only heard of corns gettin eatin twice (one of which was mine RIP Zeus)

From what I'v been readin on this forum some ppl might have a problem with keepin corns like this but from my experience (which is 3 years in constant contact with breeders and jus over a year of that is me ownin 3 corns) snakes sharin a viv is fine and corns eatin one and other is rare....u are literally doin it at your own risk but I'd say theres bout a 85% - 90% chance it'll be fine

I dont personally have experience of co-habiting but have researched it....both on here and other places. I know a number of forum members who used to be pro-co-habiting but have changed their opinion having either been forced to separate their snakes because of something going wrong or who have chosen to separate their snakes following advice and they have seen the improvement in the snakes quality of life due to doing this. One of these is a breeder who used to argue for co-habiting and now is quite vehemently against it.

You may have experience with co-habiting, through breeders and doing it yourself but that doesnt necessarily make it the right thing to be doing for the snakes. In the wild snakes would be solitary and would certainly never seek each other out for company unless it was for mating....so for us to force them to live together in captivity goes against their nature.

As you will have read on here, snakes can live together for a while with no obvious signs of stress but the stress can be there or it can suddenly turn nasty....when you are not there to stop it happening. Do you have the set-ups available to be able to separate your snakes if it becomes necessary?

I appreciate the fact that your snakes are in a viv big enough to handle them all, but the fact that you are only supplying them with 2 hides means that they have no-where to go to escape from the other snakes. They may be huddled together but that may not be through choice but rather because they have to in order to compete for the best spot in the viv.

Considering that in your own experience you have heard of corns being eaten twice - one of those being your own - should show you that it is a big risk factor, and that it happening or stress on corns happening is not rare. And for you to continue to co-habit after losing a corn like this is hard for me to understand.

I realise that most of this you will have read on this thread already, if you have taken the time to read it - but it is your last line that has made me reiterate it....

'u are literally doin it at your own risk but I'd say theres bout a 85% - 90% chance it'll be fine' As Kehhlyr has pointed out....it has nothing to do with you risking yourself. The only ones at risk are your snakes and unless you can give a 100% chance of them not being under stress or injured or worse then it should not be happening. When we take on a snake they become our responsibility and we need to do everything in our power to ensure that we are offering them the best possible life - and you are not doing it....even you yourself have said that you are only giving them an 85 -90% chance - we should be giving our snakes a 100% chance of a happy and healthy life.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  15:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice and altho I dont have the money for seperate vivs I have proceded to buy more hides and put them in the viv in all possible corners quite far away from each other now have more hides than snakes so they have their own lil section and they're all in the same hide still but nevermind

I jus wanna add, that altho u'v mentioned it can stress them out outa all the corns iv never met none are as relaxed and subdeud as mine...

either way theres some pics here...
http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=187057&id=754454852
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  16:18:10  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeh I found that when mine were all in the same viv all under one hidey place with normally the fastest and biggest ontop of the pile XD Nice that your viv is that big though. Most people would just put a bunch of snakes into a viv that should only house one. I suppose in your case if there was ever a problem yo could just partition the viv.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  20:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have 3 corns a snow corn which is about a year old, a candy cain and a orange and white one all albino, iv put another one in and it jus disapeared eatin by the big one me thinks casper (snow corn)

I'm amazed that one of yours got eaten, yet you still co-habit. Imo its beyond stupid.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  00:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well they've been like it now for bout 2 years and they're quite happy, theres more hides than snakes so they can all seperate if they want but they always share the same lil hide together plus i have a massive 5 1/2 ft by 2 ft viv if they seemed stressed in anyway id seperate them but they're the most chilled out placid snakes ever always huddled together, good eater/shedders
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  15:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cumbrian eejit

found that pic I was talking about, here's the link,
http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/Photo%20&%20Image%20Stockpile%20-%20CornUtopia/WEB%20-%20cannibal%20corn

god thats a horrible pic i was thinking of getting a mate for kellogs but certainly wont now didnt think any thing like that happened

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

holly n kellogs :)
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  15:55:40  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That pic Holly shouldn't affect whether you get a mate or not, as you can see it was eating itself.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  03:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by holly n kellogs

quote:
Originally posted by cumbrian eejit

found that pic I was talking about, here's the link,
http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/Photo%20&%20Image%20Stockpile%20-%20CornUtopia/WEB%20-%20cannibal%20corn

god thats a horrible pic i was thinking of getting a mate for kellogs but certainly wont now didnt think any thing like that happened

Kehhlyr has made a good point ....but Kellogs doesnt actually need a mate Holly. In the wild corn snakes are solitary snakes and would only come together to mate, so subjecting them to sharing a viv is going against nature and causing them unnecessary stress and even putting them in a dangerous situation.

Kellogs has the best mate possible - YOU !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  18:37:30  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just looked at this thread out of interest and I have to say I am amazed. If it isnt bad enough that a person puts a helpless snake through the indignity and pain being eaten and digested whilst alive by another and to then protest that cohabitation is ok after that happening is nothing short of idiotic. To then value that snakes life at nothing short of an acceptable loss with apparently no responsibility or apology come to that for having senselessly caused the death of a snake is just not acceptable.
Sorry Mods but I cant believe what I have just read and am now seriously considering if I can visit this site anymore as I know such irresponsibility goes on but to have it there in black and white with no apparent apology for it is just too much.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  18:46:58  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
And to add what my OH who feels the same just pointed out if someone had done that with a dog then posted the outcome on a website with nothing in the way of apology but a shrug of the shoulders they would have had the rspca knocking on their door and very likely they would have been prosecuted

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 26/05/2010 18:50:18
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  21:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The entire point of co-habiting is and always will be a heavily discussed subject.

Elament, unfortunately it wasn't the person that 'put a helpless snake through the indignity and pain of being eaten and digested', it was the snake.
It was however the owners choice to put them together and we are not the ones to convict people of this, some people think that co-habiting is a stupid thing to do and don't recommend it. I don't recommend co-habiting, yet I co-habit snakes myself.
Why do I co-habit, yet try to get people not to? Simply because I am aware of things that *could* go wrong and am prepared for all possible outcomes, I practically LIVE in front of my vivs so can keep an eye on my snakes 24/7, and I also have the ability to split snakes at the drop of a hat. So much so that I'm able to give away 3 vivs and a 3 viv stack and still have spare vivs.
If the thought of someone co-habiting even though there are risks appalls you that much, then in some ways I'd like to ask if you live with a woman.

The snakes co-habiting all have the ability to eat each other, but a vast amount of them don't.
Women are equipped to be prostitutes, but a vast amount of them aren't, and if they were and posted the outcome on a website with nothing in the way of apology but a shrug of the shoulders they would have the police knocking on their door.....

A huge amount of dogs aren't really supposed to be housed with humans, let alone other dogs (if you believe the media) yet we used to have a lovely big Rottweiler live with 2 miniature poodles.

As i've said in the past, there aren't a huge amount of right and wrong ways to do things, only recommendations.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  22:18:00  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Why do I co-habit, yet try to get people not to? Simply because I am aware of things that *could* go wrong and am prepared for all possible outcomes, I practically LIVE in front of my vivs so can keep an eye on my snakes 24/7, and I also have the ability to split snakes at the drop of a hat.

Phil, why do you co-habit?

Not trying to be argumentative, but knowing the issues and having the ability to split them, why do you choose to co-habit?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  22:22:10  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I do get your point however its not the co habiting that I found distatefull it was the way it came across in the post as being disregarded. If something died at my hand by my own choice I would be ashamed and on saying that yes I have made mistakes with animals in the past but when I have i havent brushed it off and I have certainly learnt from my mistakes.
I am not condemming people who cohabit. I wouldnt recomend it but that is my personal choice. The reason why I spoke out was because I object to the manner in which it was portrayed which i found distastefull and as such I felt I had to say something. Its just my opinion as an animal lover in general.
Oh and yes I do live with my wife but then she dont make a point of eating other humans.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000