Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  22:51:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Women are equipped to be prostitutes, but a vast amount of them aren't, and if they were and posted

Sorry, I don't mean to offend or get on a high horse or anything but, excuse me???? That's kind of insultive you know? In my mind it's along the lines of "Muslims are equipped to be terrorist's" Men can me as well. I'm not like a freaky feminist but that came off sexist... Plus prostitution is legal in the UK so they wouldn't bang on their doors...

In regards to co-habiting and my experiences, they seem to be better off separated and seem to enjoy it that way more. I have no problems with someone experienced co-habiting and the cannibalism is a rare thing with corns as compared to other species. I just think they should have plenty of room and if they are curled up all under one hide then it's probably not working out.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  05:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

......Sorry Mods but I cant believe what I have just read and am now seriously considering if I can visit this site anymore as I know such irresponsibility goes on but to have it there in black and white with no apparent apology for it is just too much.

Stephen, what you have got to remember is that all that is posted on here are people's experiences, thoughts and opinions....that is what a forum is for. Sometimes, no matter the advice given and the good reasoning behind that advice, the advice isnt followed or agreed with - and each person has a right to choose how they live their lives and, unfortunately, how they look after their snakes. We cant force them to change if they have decided to co-habit....as much as we cant force you to put Xena and Colin in together.

You have enough experience to know that no matter what you tell some people they will always believe what they are doing is their business and there is nothing wrong with it and that it is none of your business to be interfering....some people do disregard animal life as being of no importance and, unfortunately, some people cannot see through your eyes and heart.

BUT it is not the forum that is at fault here....but life in general. You are very aware that bad things go on in life and the same is said with snake keeping - it is just that being a part of this forum means that we are sometimes forced to face that fact.

Kehhlyr, I do actually understand your comparing people co-habiting to women choosing to be prostitutes....and, surprisingly, it doesnt offend me because I think it is a good analogy. Us women just have to look at it without our feminist hackles rising.

I would like to echo Blackecho's question (no pun intended) - why do you co-habit, knowing the risks?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  09:28:04  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Fairplay I dont want to start an argument or anything I just know this..,
As Kellog has pointed out I have two corns Colin and Xena. Colin is about 36" and Xena half that. I know that if I tried to cohabit them and put one in with the other and as a result Colin ate Xena I personally would be mortified. Xena to us is as much one of the family as Colin or our two cats or our dog and I woud be in bits if anything happened to any of them. I do apologise to anyone who have found my views offensive in any way but I could not help but comment as an animal lover and as someone who works in animal rescue.
As far as the forum goes I do not blame the forum. As you have said Kellog its a place for advice and opinions and in general it works very well. However I find it difficult to deal with in any medium when people adopt a "throw away" attitude towards any animal and I would have said something be it here or even on the street. If you turn your back on it and do nothing you become as bad as the perpetrator of the crime in my eyes.
Anyway I have said enough on this subject and would like to reassure the mods that in the future I will keep my views off the forum and bite my tongue for the good of the group.
With regards to co-habiting...yes if you are going to do it like Kehhlyr and be ready for anything and totally aware of the pitfalls then I have no problem with it. Personally I wouldnt and that is based on everything I have read about corns and their behaviour as solitary animals in the wild and above all else because of possibilities that something can go very wrong (as in this case) and the effect it would have on me if say for instance a smaller snake got eaten as a result of my own personal choice.
Once again apologies to anyone I may have offended

Cheers

Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  10:21:31  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Phil, why do you co-habit?

Not trying to be argumentative, but knowing the issues and having the ability to split them, why do you choose to co-habit?

These are 2 females that I got as roughly 6-7 year old about 3 1/2 years ago. Apparently they had been homed together since they 'were young', unfortunately I wasn't able to get any further info on their description of young. The 2nd day I had them they were split up, and that's when my problems started. I went through all the 7 day blues thing that quite a lot of rehomed snakes get, but the way that the pair of them changed was incredible, they would've made great training snakes for hots they were that snappy, I tried absolutely everything, then one day I moved their vivs next to each other and they seemed to practically change overnight.
So I ran a few 'tests' and if they were in contact of could see each other then they were the placid snakes they are now, but apart and they were like the devil incarnate. I spent about 5-6 months battling them in every way I could think of, with varying viv sizes and foods (they had even stopped eating), they'd strike and bite at the food but only in the same way they would with me if my hands/arms/ears/legs were in striking range.
It was incredibly bizarre and I've never heard or seen anything like it since, hence why they're still together now.
I shall split them up for a couple days one day then video it to show you exactly what I mean.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  12:40:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's interesting Phil, sounds like they have become 'institutionalised' over time.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  13:39:16  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Is that the only pair of snakes you co-habit kehhlyr ?

Editted to add:
I only ask not because I am leading anywhere but because I am genuinely interested. This is an occassion I would advocate co-habitation as it evidently benefits the snakes. Interestingly this flies in the face of my own experiences with my Xena. Before I got her the original owner was so adamant that she had developed something of a bond with one of the two snakes she was sharing an rub with that he convinced me that she would suffer some kind of seperation anxiety when she came here but I have seen no evidence of this. Far from it in fact her recovery from not eating for the first seven months of her life has been astonishing since she has had her own space and she is now far more confident and bolshi.

Just goes to show to me how different corns can be.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 27/05/2010 14:00:00
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  16:12:09  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They are the only pair, yes.
The only other time that they may have a 'house guest' is when my male is introduced, although that again is for totally different (but obvious) reasons.

But yes, it's a very weird one Elament and Blackecho, it's literally as if they pine for each other. Very bizarre snakes.
Which is one of the reasons I'm not a good advocate of co-habiting, as quite often people will sometimes get 2, but then need to rehome one and if they were anything like mine it would be unfair on the snakes AND the owners

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  17:32:43  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How bizzarre!!!

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  15:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG after reading this i'm defo separating mine.
Thanks for the advice guys I would be besides myself if anything was to happen to mine.

0.0.2 Aneries: Dorito + Sparkles
1.1.0 Hypo Het Lavender Bloodreds: Chilli + Pepper
1.0.0 Motley Butter: Dave
0.1.0 Ghost stripe : Sssam
0.1.0 Lavender: Princesss Annie
0.1.0 Normal: Medusa (baby sitting for 3 years)
2.2.0 Royal Python: Rafiki , Zazu , Pumba + Timone
1.0.0 orange ghost Python:Buster
1.0.0 Pastel python: enygma
0.1.0 spider python:
Kendra
0.1.0 66% het pied: sally
1.0.0 red tail cat fish (Morph)R.I.P
7.2.0 cats (M.I.B.,Picasso,Dealy,Storm,Gokoo,Merc,Chaos,Stitch,Peanuts)
Welcome to my petting zoo lol

Have you ever noticed when you run into a spiders web you all of a sudden turn into a ninja
Go to Top of Page

miss_mystra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  12:47:05  Show Profile  Visit miss_mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i am getting my first corn soon, and even before all the research i did about getting one, what they need etc etc but i always thought they would be solitary... i mean snakes in generally don't roam in herds lol so it doesn't seem natural to have 2 snakes living together.

But interesting to read that it works for some people

Someone who my mum knows breeds them recommended i get two and keeps them together... now i'm not really convinced about getting a snake from him after hearing that, altho maybe he is one of the lucky few who have successfully co-habited his corns. Now my mum is taking that as gospel (urgh good job i don't live with her anymore!), i told her i can't afford to keep a pair to save the argument lol

But some of those pics of the corns eating themselves are horrible and sad, poor snakes :(

0.0.2 Corn Snakes - Betty (Anery) and Sanchez (Carolina)
1.0.0 - Royal Python - Chancho

Edited by - miss_mystra on 02/09/2010 12:49:31
Go to Top of Page

BHAFC72
Egg

61 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  16:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I brought 3 snakes last week but i only intended on buying two as i only had two rubs set up.I've read different views on this and the bottom line is you are taking an element of risk housing them together.I believe the risk is low key though with corns as other snakes are not seen as prey food to them.Snakes like the Cobra for instance,eat other snakes.They are high up on the food chain for them as they go out to hunt them.
Anyway i put two together from different breeders and monitored them.Both snakes are female and of the same size.There's enough hide space for them not to share a certain spot together.The last two nights they have curled up together which i found quite sweet.Today i added another hide which is even bigger and guess what? They have both left the old hide and have curled up together in the new one.I was going to buy another rub so they are all seperate but i don't believe it's necessary.They obviously know eachothers scent and don't see eachother as a threat.
My dilema is when they get to adult size,do i break them up? Will they miss eachother? I intend on breeding one of them in three years time and so i will put the female i want to breed in with the male.My only concern is when she falls pregnant what will the other female do once they are back together? I'm looking forward to this challenge and results in the future.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  16:47:52  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BHAFC72

.The last two nights they have curled up together which i found quite sweet.Today i added another hide which is even bigger and guess what? They have both left the old hide and have curled up together in the new one.

competition for the 'best' spot is 'quite sweet'......? *confused*

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  16:51:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'm also guessing you're an inexperienced keeper.........would you know what a stressed out or bullied snake looks like before its too late?

Go to Top of Page

BHAFC72
Egg

61 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  17:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

.The last two nights they have curled up together which i found quite sweet.Today i added another hide which is even bigger and guess what? They have both left the old hide and have curled up together in the new one.

Don't be confused.No competition at all for best spot
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  19:05:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'm confused at your response to both your snakes vying for the best spot..............

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  00:32:37  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As an addition to this thread, I'd like to add that the risk of snakes trying to eat each other doesn't always happen in younger snakes.
I had to carry snakes (that were both about 9-10 years old) to dunk them in the past because one had the others head in it's mouth.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2010 :  06:46:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

Don't be confused.No competition at all for best spot

How do you know? Do you even know how a corn would behave in the wild? Do you know why the curl up together?

What GP is saying, politely, is you are an idiot basically. You have ignored 12 pages of why its a bad idea, you have ignored all the reasons as to why you shouldn't.
You even said yourself you take on an element of risk, why? You are putting 2 snakes in danger of killing each other, tell me how that is responsible?
Your talk about cobras is utter rubbish, only one is truely cannibilistic, top of the food chain, which one, because they certainly are not in the grand scheme of things.
The bottom line is, you are risking the lives of 2 snakes to save a few quid on another tub basically, knowing, whether willing to admit it or not, full well that its a bad idea,
That, in anyones book is irresponsible.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2010 :  07:27:20  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Calm down a little MR, cheers

quote:

the bottom line is you are taking an element of risk housing them together.

Don't do it then, if there is a risk, stop it. It doesn't matter how small the risk, housing them separately means no risk.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2010 :  08:13:15  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Also BHFAC72, you said yourself that your corns are only a few months old, and despite clear photographic evidence of the all too possible consequences you choose to defend a rather selfish choice. You said also in another thread that experience wasn't important. Clearly it is as any experienced keeper would know that curling together in a hide is them vying for the best spot, I bet you always find the stronger one on top.

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2010 :  08:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet you always find the stronger one on the bottom!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000