Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  13:59:24  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BHAFC72

I believe the risk is low key though with corns as other snakes are not seen as prey food to them.Snakes like the Cobra for instance,eat other snakes.They are high up on the food chain for them as they go out to hunt them.

Corns in the wild would eat other corns if they came across them, they eat anthing. There is a reason why the mother snake leaves her eggs, as she knows if she stays and they hatch she would be very tempted to eat them.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

ZicoZ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  21:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

I bet you always find the stronger one on the bottom!

Please explain your comment , surely if the stronger , more dominant snake wanted the "best" position , it would be at the bottom where the "best" position is , not on top of the snake which is actually in the "best" position ???
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2010 :  23:53:39  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The question is what is the better position???
The bottom because of the heat and added protection from predators?? Or the top due to be able to escape from predators quicker so the one underneath gets eaten??

We cannot judge on what is the pre-determined 'better spot' simply because we are not snakes.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Zincubus
Hatchling

197 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  22:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting stuff !

Edited by - Zincubus on 25/09/2010 02:54:02
Go to Top of Page

ZicoZ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  20:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

I bet you always find the stronger one on the bottom!

Mike , can you clarify your view ??
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  00:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
corns as well as any snake can be cannibalistic these are a few photos to highlight this

these photos have been reproduced with permission of RichZ (original photo location cornsnakes.com )

edited to add a few more photos

these photos have been reproduced with permission of Dr. Darryl G. Walker (original photo location cornsnakes.com )

Edited by - gmac on 27/09/2010 11:14:27
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  01:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

corns as well as any snake can be cannibalistic these are a few photos to highlight this......

I have always been one who has read the information out there about co-habiting, on here and elsewhere, and made my own personal decision that it is not in the snakes' best interest to do it, no matter what the age of the snakes....and as owners our responsibility is to do what is best for the snakes' health and welfare.

I am so glad that you have posted those pictures GMac because other people, who must have the same access to information as I have, still choose to put their snakes lives at risk. Now how ANYONE can want to house 2 hatchlings together after seeing this I cannot understand but, unfortunately, I know people still will take that risk without a 2nd thought .

I couldnt believe the snake was still alive after eating another snake (reading the thread about it I see there is a question about how many it ate)....do you know whether it lived?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  08:16:50  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think it's almost definite the 'swallowed' snake died

as for the 'cannible'.........if it managed to regurge it's meal it might have survived, if it didn't then expensive surgery might have saved it............but it could well have died too

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  09:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

i think it's almost definite the 'swallowed' snake died

Had worked this bit out GP ....

quote:

.......as for the 'cannible'.........if it managed to regurge it's meal it might have survived, if it didn't then expensive surgery might have saved it............but it could well have died too

And I guess I am assuming the 'cannibal' died as I doubt the owner (actually think it was a guy who buys and sells) cared enough to spend the money on surgery....and surely even a regurge of that amount would be dangerous?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  11:21:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
those pictures are quite distressing

if anyone was ever thinking of cohabiting to save money (ie.buying and running another set-up) the potential vets bills when having to deal with something like this would be far greater!!!

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  11:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I apologise for linking to another forum, however it was the only way to get permission from the owners of the photos, but I feel it does add to this topic, a picture tells a thousand words.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  13:49:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

I apologise for linking to another forum, however it was the only way to get permission from the owners of the photos, but I feel it does add to this topic, a picture tells a thousand words.

No apology needed, it gave permission to use other peoples photos then it's worth it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  17:00:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Holy cow! I canont believe how lumpy they are! Is there anyway to make this topic more sticky than a sticky? I think these photo's need to be plastered all over pet shops really, as a warning to bad petshops who have lots of baby corns in one viv and to those who may buy more than one snake and think they can get away with one set-up.

I'm curious if their are any adult corns pictures like these though?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  23:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the shop i got my adult corn from had him in a viv with 3 other males all the hatchings were separated though the viv i have him in now its bigger than the one he was in at the shop and he has 2 big hides, he used to be always with one of the other males in the shop they would be coiled up together i was going to get him a girl friend but think i will get another viv first even tho the one he is in is 3ft wide by 1.5ft high by 1.5ft deep so he has lots and lots of room

corneilious

1 male caramel corn snake
1 female carolina corn snake
1 female amel corn snake
1 male 1 female chinese praying mantis
1 male 1 female giant african millipedes
2 male 1 female madagascan hissing ****roaches
1 male cat
lots of mantis babys ! :)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  04:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sarah0512

the shop i got my adult corn from had him in a viv with 3 other males all the hatchings were separated though the viv i have him in now its bigger than the one he was in at the shop and he has 2 big hides, he used to be always with one of the other males in the shop they would be coiled up together i was going to get him a girl friend but think i will get another viv first even tho the one he is in is 3ft wide by 1.5ft high by 1.5ft deep so he has lots and lots of room

Am so glad you have read this thread Sarah and know how stressful it is to co-habit adults (and dangerous it is to put hatchlings together). The viv he is in is probably big enough for him....we tend to go by the rule that once the snake's length = the length + depth of their viv then they need a bigger one....so unless that is the case then he is fine where he is and much better off than where he was !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  15:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 7 corn snakes, 2 females and 5 males, they are all baby corns (not even a foot in length yet) and I house them all together for right now. (Room is tight for cages). I have never had a problem with them being together at all. We plan on housing them separately as they get older though. As for them eating each other, I heard from reptile store owners that specialize in snakes that its rare and most the time caused by one snake smelling the (pinkie) on the other snake and it being hungry. But we feed them all at the same time so hopefully that won't happen.

What people have identified my corns as.

0.1.0 - Rosie - Caramel or Hypo Motley
1.0.0 - Houdini - Amber or Caramel
1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  17:10:46  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not to question you too much but how can you say you don't have room to house babies separetly but you will do as adults?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  19:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Not to question you too much but how can you say you don't have room to house babies separetly but you will do as adults?

Nothing wrong with questions. But simple answer, ill be upgrading my ****** little apartment by buying a house in the next 3 months and ill get those stack cages to house them

***edited for language by GP***

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter

Edited by - gingerpony on 16/10/2010 09:13:04
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  09:33:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Decadence

....hopefully that won't happen.

i hope so too!
i DO conhabit some of mine but would NEVER dream of doing it with youngsters
if you've read the whole thread you know the risks but unfortunately there's nothing anyone can do to make you see sense.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  05:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Decadence

....hopefully that won't happen.

i hope so too!
i DO conhabit some of mine but would NEVER dream of doing it with youngsters
if you've read the whole thread you know the risks but unfortunately there's nothing anyone can do to make you see sense.

Why the attack? If YOU read the whole thing that i said, i said "ill be upgrading my ****** little apartment by buying a house in the next 3 months and ill get those stack cages to house them"

I'm sorry, but in an apartment you don't have room to have a ton of cages or anything of the sort, and when i started buying my corns i was always told it was ok to house them together. So just because you all know you shouldn't doesn't make me a bad person because i'm learning right?

***edited for language again by GP***

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter

Edited by - gingerpony on 20/10/2010 14:35:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic