Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  14:39:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
buying a RUB or similar is very little outlay and takes up very little room.............where there's a will there's a way

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  17:05:45  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry but you should take them back then and try and explain. I dont want to be rude but you shouldnt be keeping these snakes, you know too little about them.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  17:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

Sorry but you should take them back then and try and explain. I dont want to be rude but you shouldnt be keeping these snakes, you know too little about them.
Tiffany-x

wow, i thought this forum was a place to come for advice, not to be told to bring my snakes back to the store..you people are really something....why don't you try being those friendly people that this site explains you are and help, not put people down and say they don't know anything and to bring their snakes back.

and why do you keep editing the word ******? i don't know what it may mean in the uk, but here in the usa it don't mean anything at all but another way of explaining something like my apartment...my kids wouldn't even get in trouble at school for saying that....last i checked, it wasn't foul language or a bad word.

***edited for language yet again by GP***

What people have identified my corns as.

0.1.0 - Rosie - Caramel or Hypo Motley
1.0.0 - Houdini - Amber or Caramel
1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter

Edited by - gingerpony on 20/10/2010 19:27:26
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  17:30:36  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tiffany-x

Weirdly enough, I kept venomous snakes WAY before I kept any other reptile.
When I eventually got a reptile that was able to be handled without risk of severe injury or death, I knew naff all about them.
In fact even now with having kept various reptiles over the course of the past 20 years, I'm still learning stuff.
Some of it is only little bits that I wasn't aware of either.
For example I only found out how necessary stats were about 4 years ago.

Co-habiting is something that will always cause a difference in opinion with everyone, however personal attacks are still not warranted.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  17:54:51  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im sorry but Im sure that I read that you dont have a stat either. You have no idea, I would love to help but I cant respect people who buy an animal they cant look after, esp at the moment where there is clearly so much information available about such things. I know pet shops are for the most part to blame because they give such bad information and dont try to prevent these kind of sales but you should be independantly capable of finding the information. I dont mean to hurt you or for you to take offence but it really does irritate me. I am more than willing to give information but please even if its some couple of quid RUB's please seperate your snakes and buy a stat. You can run more than one mat off a stat providing they are all the same and arent over the amount the stat can take. For the sake of those snakes please just do it. It wont take up much room for that size and it wont cost excessive amounts. It would probably cost more to buy all of those snakes all over again if they dont make it because of the care.

And Kehhlyr whether you did that or not you wont change my opinion, I dont care who else has done it, its a case of being fair to your animals and cant stand to hear of people who dont know enough about their animals to look after them properly. If it was up to me it wouldnt be allowed, but everyone is free to their opinion and that is mine. :)
Tiffany-x

Edited by - Tiffany-x on 20/10/2010 17:57:27
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  18:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
And Kehhlyr whether you did that or not you wont change my opinion, I dont care who else has done it, its a case of being fair to your animals and cant stand to hear of people who dont know enough about their animals to look after them properly. If it was up to me it wouldnt be allowed, but everyone is free to their opinion and that is mine. :)
Tiffany-x

exactly, so just because somebody has a different opinion then yourself, doesn't mean you're right and everyone else is wrong...I was given information when i bought the snakes and that's what i went upon..so you can't be "irritated" with me because i'm doing something i was told was ok to do. As for the stat, no i don't have a stat but i was going to buy a hygrometer which handles humidity and heat, but i was told to just get a stat so put it on hold....i have alot of bills that i pay to keep a roof over my head along with my wifes head and kids head along with feeding them....so just because i don't run out and buy a stat right away doesn't mean i'm a bad person, doesn't mean my snake are going to die in the next week....i'm going out today to buy a stat actually...now that i have some spare cash after bills.

I'm not a bad person when it comes to animals...i have a cat that was once a kitten sitting on my patio because the kids around were torturing it. I spent hundreds of dollars on that kitten to make it part of my family...and now here she is right now laying next to me while i type this...i do take care of my animals and if i have to learn a few things while attending new pets, then i'm sure they will be fine in the meantime untill i can give them all they need.

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  18:30:41  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know you think they might be fine I really never meant to upset you but maybe you should have a look around on the forum because Im sure there are pictures somewhere of a very burnt snake. This can happen without a stat. I just wouldnt like to hear about 7 burnt snakes. I would hate to think your snakes would come to any harm from any of these factors. And I dont know if you read this whole thread but I think some of the images are very disturbing so if you havent already just read it through. And just buy some cheap storage boxes cause then if anything does happen you are prepared. I dont mean to tell you what to do or offend you I just want your snakes to be safe. I am truly sorry for any offence take and I hope you dont think everyone on here is bad because MOST of the time this forum is amazing and its only on a rare occasion that something bad happens.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  18:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snakes wont get burnt, i have the heat mat attached to the side of the tank for right now with some tape, it doesn't get the glass really hot, but warm. That's why i don't put the mat underneath right now is because then it does heat up the glass really hot. I'm buying a stat today so i can put the mat back under the tank. and as for housing, i've said it before. here in the next month i'll be separating my snakes in their own vivs. want to get them stack cages, but in the mean time i think they can handle sharing a viv.

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  18:36:52  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it just isn't expressed how vitally important something such as a stat is, there are many people who don't buy them and its purely down to them getting their information from a pet shop and the pet shop not informing them of how important the piece of kit is. But atleast it is being resolved and you now no one is needed and plan on buying one, sooner rather than later.

I also understand where you are coming from, i myself have been told before today that co habiting young snakes was "ok" but i had already done alot of research and knew otherwise. Something i personally think everyone should do before buying any species of animal they aren't familiar with. As you have read through this thread you will hae seen just how many cons and dangers there are to cohabitting young snakes and just hope that you take on some of the information and seperate your snakes.

Out of curiosity do you hae the mat "taped" to the outside or inside of the tank?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 20/10/2010 18:38:20
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  18:45:12  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok and although its unlikely if you wake up tomorrow and find one has eaten another what will you do? Im suggesting picking up a couple of very small boxes for the time being so that if something happens you can easily split them up. Im just giving you advice. If it happens you need somewhere to put them whether it is for 2 days or 2 years is here nor there. You need to be prepared in this situation.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  19:30:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Decadence
and why do you keep editing the word ******? i don't know what it may mean in the uk, but here in the usa it don't mean anything at all but another way of explaining something like my apartment...my kids wouldn't even get in trouble at school for saying that....last i checked, it wasn't foul language or a bad word.

well in the UK it's NOT language you'd expect a school child to come out with.

as you're on a UK forum, and you've already identified the fact that it's NOT ok to use on here, PLEASE refrain from using it.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  19:58:01  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Decadence
and why do you keep editing the word ******? i don't know what it may mean in the uk, but here in the usa it don't mean anything at all

But it does in the UK, since the board is kinda configured/most people here are from the UK :p

I've bought snakes and housed them together for a while, adults. I've also housed 7 hatchlings together for a week. In their opinions, they would say it's fine to house them together. Until someone has witnessed it happening, then they might change their minds.

How and were are you snakes being kept Decadence? I'm just asking so I may/someone else could maybe solve your space issue? I am not so much worries about the snakes eating one another, it's the early breeding. It can really stunt the girls growth and can leave her egg bound so she dies if she breeds too early and under the right conditions. A lot of healthy snakes this year that are more than good enough to breed have died this year, I would hate to see any other topics about a snake being breed too early. If I have read correctly, you have 2 females and 5 males together? The males could fight over the females and the females will get very stressed by having all the males pester them and raping them. Stress snakes are more easily egg bound or just simply die of stress.

If space is tight, would could always somehow partition whatever they are in now or get another box or something and separate the males from the females.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  00:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 3 year old female and a 2.5 year old male in together for the past two years. Not a bother on them, they're only separated for feeding...

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog

Edited by - Katie.Dublin on 21/10/2010 00:18:55
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  00:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, i now have a stat for my heat mat and i have bought a decent size rub and separated my females from my males as i was more concerned about the mating rather then one eating another, that's how i will have them for now until i get my house and have more room for a stack viv.

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  16:49:16  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nobodies oppinion is wrong. Because it is just that, an opinion, everybody is entitled to one.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  18:23:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's the way you word stuff you have to be very careful on the internet with how you word stuff I'm afraid as tone doesn't come across in text. I know you were trying to be helpful but maybe worded it in the wrong way? In someone else's opinion might be that you were rude so it works both ways.

It's good you've separated the male and females as they can mate at any time of year, breading season or not.

Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  15:42:37  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Woah guys, text is a hard thing to understand sometimes, so though you think you're being helpful, actually, others interpret it as an attack! Tiffany, I have to say, as an outside member of that argument/discussion, you did sound extremely rude to Decadance, especially telling Dec to take their snakes back, all because you did not agree with what they were doing. If that doesn't constitute the start of an attack, I ain't overly sure what does ^^'' Just be careful when you talk to others.

I have to say, if people are diligent and slowly introduce, I can't see why co-habing, so long as there is a lot of space or a separate tank prepared in case of trouble, is bad. I mean, sure, in the WILD they'd be separate and solitary, but then so are a lot of animals in the wild, but once domesticated, they become more docile and tend to live fine and dandy in small groups. I'm not endorsing a group of 4+ or whatever, but I don't think it is fair to say that people that see co-habbing as an alternative to masses of vivs are wrong and cruel. If they take the proper precautions, I can't see it being completely immoral.

I myself am going to co-hab with two of my snakes, so perhaps I am a bit biased and maybe even cruel, perhaps I should have my snakes taken away. Whatever others say, I understand the risks, I've read up, however, I am going to take every precaution I can to make it work, and if not, then I'll ensure I have the means to separate. Everyone is going to have differing opinions, and some people are going to feel strongly either way, but you have to understand, a lot of humans will not believe until the experience happens to them. Its simply human nature, and they will ALWAYS be curious as to whether it would have worked or not. When you see some posts saying 'had no problem' and others saying 'don't do it, its cruel', you have to wonder, 'if it worked for them, is it really as cruel as the others say?'. I know I'm taking a risk, and will probably be chewed out for it, but I want to see if it will be fine, I want to try it, just to know if my two will be fine. Sorry if that seems cruel or too risky for some, but, as I said, human nature is to simply want to try it - you've just got to know the risks and be aware of what could go wrong and how to fix it should it go wrong.

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2010 :  15:24:45  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have just re read this thread with interest. I myself on this thread gone off on one as its an emotive subject but a further thought occured to me that reinforces my beliefs that co habiting is not a good thing to do. Based on what i have read on the life of the cornsnake they live as solitary animals and as such do not have to deal with hierarchy. When you introduce two or more animals into a contained enviroment you subject them to hierarchy ie one of the animals will always dominate the others to some extent. Why subject an animal to that when in its wild state it wouldnt encounter it? The subject of cohabiting will always divide forums such as this one and if this post is for others to make a subjective opinion on the subject it will have to be based on knowledge and not opinion as opinion is speculative. Personally I base my decision on knowledge and the "experience" of others in this group that have better "knowledge" than I do. To which I say no. Dont do it. Give the snake as close to the enviroment as which it would have in the wild.
That is not just based on opinion but more on learning from others that have already been there worn the tee shirt and starred in the video.

That is what this forum should be for isnt it?

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 30/10/2010 15:25:30
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2010 :  15:51:44  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tehbunneh
I have to say, if people are diligent and slowly introduce, I can't see why co-habing, so long as there is a lot of space or a separate tank prepared in case of trouble, is bad. I mean, sure, in the WILD they'd be separate and solitary, but then so are a lot of animals in the wild, but once domesticated, they become more docile and tend to live fine and dandy in small groups. I'm not endorsing a group of 4+ or whatever, but I don't think it is fair to say that people that see co-habbing as an alternative to masses of vivs are wrong and cruel. If they take the proper precautions, I can't see it being completely immoral.

That's the thing, snakes aren't really domesticated in a way, they can learn that the big lumbering thing approaching them is bad or not by learning your smell and that's about it. They don't have a lot of brains. With dogs, you can try and teach them how they should behave with other dogs as they can learn. Same with cats. Snakes are too lacking in brain cells :(

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2010 :  23:48:10  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just wonder how many people on this forum have had direct and unsuccessful experience with co-habiting? All I see is people on here with experience on information with the unfortunate outcome and not personal expirience.. Out of everyone who disagrees, how many have tried or know someone who has tried and been unsuccessful? All I see is actual co-habbiter keepers with good news. Maybe there is a thread somewhere that has a subject. "Omg my corn just ate his mate". I mean to be fair, u could say it's cruel to keep them separate cos it could eat it's self as I have heard of that too!

To sum up in my experience of what I have heard, I think it is owners discression and that the risk is far lower than is to be made out on this thread. I think that corns are capable of cannibalism in extreme circumstances. For example if one smells a mouse on the other maybe??

Anyways, I would like to take this opportunity to ask that no one is to be offended or shocked by my comments and that life is too short to worry about anothers choice to co habit. I have just lost a good friend and collegue. X

Rip nick Cresswell

Ta
Sully

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000