New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Serpentine
Snake Mite

Ireland
16 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  19:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am new to this and have been reading up on caring for a snake. Have seen a lot mentioned about stress but have been unable to find how to tell if your snake is stressed. Could anyone give me some pointers please?

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  20:24:35  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm not an expert but I guess snakes can react in many different ways to stress.
Some will rattle, hiss, strike, bite. Others will hide away and refuse to come out. Some will be hyperactive!
Like any living creature they all have their own characters and personalities so it's not an exact science.
Once you get to know your snake you will be able to spot any changes in his/her normal behaviour which may be an indicator of stress.
Are you worried about your snake at the moment or is it just something you wondered about?

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Serpentine
Snake Mite

Ireland
16 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  20:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Herriotfan,

I have a 3 month old hatchling corn, only have him a week. Had been very active for the first few days, exploring his new viv and looking for exits. For the last couple of days he's stayed firmly in one of his hides. He's not showing any interest in food yet, but I'm not worried about that - I know it could take a month before he'll start eating again. Just curious about the change in behaviour, don't know if I should be worried or not.
Go to Top of Page

Serpentine
Snake Mite

Ireland
16 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  20:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually herriotfan I just saw your reply to another post I put up in snake health, you've answered my question. Thanks a million.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  20:46:41  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Serpentine

Actually herriotfan I just saw your reply to another post I put up in snake health, you've answered my question. Thanks a million.

No problem, glad I helped!
My Sid took ages to settle in.
He still sleeps under his log or flowerpot for most of the day but he's just very laid back and lazy!!
He will happily come out and 'give me a massage' but still wants to go back undercover when I put him away. He explores when the sun goes down, then he's quite a livewire.
They all vary but I certainly wouldn't be concerned about your little one at the moment!

Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  21:09:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They can also not eat and sometimes be constipated.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  00:06:18  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Stress can be noticed in many different ways, sometimes it takes experience to see it. But it's something that you'll gradually learn over time when your snake has 'had enough' of being handled etc.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  08:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The most common sign of stress is aggression, closely followed by refusing to eat.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  08:55:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

The most common sign of stress is aggression, closely followed by refusing to eat.

and add to that weight loss or failure to thrive (even if eating well)

also laying exposed, out in the open, rather than in a hide but that's covered by 'unusual behaviour' mentioned by HF above

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 16/09/2010 08:56:06
Go to Top of Page

Serpentine
Snake Mite

Ireland
16 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  16:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the help, have noticed today that Sid's eyes are starting to go blue - probably a lot to do with his hiding out lately. All the same good to know what to look out for as regards stress.

Cheers.

1 tortoise - Dude

1 rabbit

1 anery corn - Sid
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  16:43:14  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aww, bless him, he's going into shed. He may or may not want to be fed and/or handled while in shed. Some carry on as normal and others just want to be left alone. Once his eyes clear and his colour looks normal again it will take about two or three days for him to shed. Then you'll be the proud owner of a new looking snake!

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000