Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

strobe1980
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  11:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
Chopper retained his eye caps from his latest shed which was last night when i was asleep (always the way ha) he retained the tail also but a warm bath and towel did the trick,But im worried about his caps as it may impare his vision and also make him feel overly vulnerable due to lack of vision.
Any advice on such a dilema

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  12:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, have a read of this as there is a bit about retained eye caps. I can't offer any advice as it's not something I have dealt with.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12296
Go to Top of Page

strobe1980
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  12:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Louise.Thanks for the link,apart from the eye caps his shed was fine.Ive bathed him and toweled but its a different story with eye caps as you have to be really careful not to damage the eye.Think i may try my local rep shop? Thanks

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  12:42:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
add a damp hide for a few days, or even two - one at each end of the enclosure - and take out his usual hides so he has to use the damp ones
after a few days preparation try a damp towel to carefully wipe off the spectacle

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

strobe1980
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  12:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you.As you can see on the sig pic the half moon whitish shape on his eye,thats definitely retained cap dont you think??

Go to Top of Page

andys
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  13:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isnt that just the cornea in the photo ? (On amels the cornea isnt always as distinct) Are you 100% sure the eye caps werent with the shed ? Sometimes they are so clear I have to look across them from the side to see their shape.
Go to Top of Page

strobe1980
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  15:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you can see on this pic the whole upper jaw,eye cap,and upper jaw have been retained only leaving thr lower jaw free??

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  15:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, may be a silly question but the rest of the head piece isn't in the tank anywhere is it?

I can't see any retained shed in your siggy pic.

Also you may have to make your siggy smaller!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  15:45:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
very true....all that pic proves is that the head part is somewhere else.........it would be pretty obviously if still on the snake........

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

strobe1980
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  16:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive gave the viv a once over but found nothing.I need to feed him this eve so ill do a throrough check.Stupid question but do you change the sig pic size through this site or through photo bucket

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  16:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by strobe1980

Ive gave the viv a once over but found nothing.I need to feed him this eve so ill do a throrough check.Stupid question but do you change the sig pic size through this site or through photo bucket

would have to be through photobucket, the max size really is 700 wide x 300 high for a sig or it just takes up too much screen space

Go to Top of Page

strobe1980
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  16:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok ill get on that now.Thanks for the Advice

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  23:36:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to pinch a link to the royal python site http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3502 it has a great picture to show what a retained eyecap looks like, its on a larger snake than a corn but shows how obvious it is.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

strobe1980
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  14:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi lotabob.

Thanks for the link,Ah i see how obvious it should look now.
Anyway i feel a bit embarrassed now as i found both eycaps attached to the inside of his coconut shell
Learn from my mistakes i shall lol

Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  15:01:46  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Don't worry I did the same thing but I spent quite a few hours on my hands and knees searching through the aspen only to find the complete head two perfect eyecaps and a further few inches of shed stuck on the back wall of the viv so a case of look in the obvious places first from now on :)

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

strobe1980
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  15:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha Haa definitely Ozzie i wont be making the newbie mistakes next time.
The pic of the retained eyecap proves that their is no way you could miss it if it were still attached ha

Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  15:36:35  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think all us newbies are going through whats commonly known as the learning curve :)

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  18:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its great fun going through all these dramas, you did the right thing though, you wasn't sure so you got more info, if you'd have sat back and assumed it was all OK thats when problems really do occur.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000