Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  13:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok im gessing im about to get a good telling off but y do u need to have a stat i have never used them in my vivs and i never use heat lamps eather ive had my snakes for 6 years going on 7 and have always just used a heat mat i have 2 thermomerters in each viv hot end and cold end and my tempa are always fine never a prob with shedding feeding or anything else as pf yet im not looking for a massive telling of as i know a lot of u swar by them i just want to know y everone is so for using them ty xx

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  14:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well then you are exceedingly lucky. Stats regulate temps, keeping them within the safe ranges for snakes and preventing severe burns and fire hazards, which can and do occur when stats aren't used.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  14:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
even in the reptile shop that i got 2 of my corns from they dont use stats with there corns they just have a few large heat mats atached to the walls around the incloser they are all keep in there are thermomerters all round to keep check of the temps and they are all fine he has had the same shope and keep all the corns like this for a very long time with no probs as i am aware of i just see so many people saying make sure u get a good stat , have a stat ,use a stat ,stats are a must i just wanted to know y

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  14:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reptile shops are notorious for giving out rubbish advice. Most of the time its due to them wanting to save money, and also to prevent customers getting scared off of a sale by the added expense of a stat.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  14:51:47  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I didn't use a start with my bulbs or a lamp guard for 10 years, now I *think* he has a burnt tongue because of my stupid mistake.

The amount of photos I've seen with burnt royals that have wrapped round a bulb and cause burns to server they had to be pts and melted fauns with heatmats is enough to scare me into using one. I'd rather spend £20 on a stat than hundreds on vet bills, plus stats save on electricy bill. Also I think corns can get their heads fried at temps over 30c for too long. Bulbs and heatmats are designed for a range of animals, the devise doesn't know what animal it is being used with and what max temp to heat up to!

Lots of shops don't use stats or have their stats very carefully hidden away. If they don't have stats surely they are spending a lot of time turning on and off heating devices through the day or they are on some kind of dimmer switch?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

SamanthaDean
Egg

United Kingdom
71 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  15:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont use one but i do find myself turning lamps off... i think its going to be my next investment to be on the safe side
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  15:14:22  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
its pure luck that the snakes havent had a nasty burn, thats all. Theres been a time (for example) recently that my hubby noticed the prob wasnt on the heatmat properly in one of my corns vivs, (the rock weighinb it down had been shunted off) and he said the hot end of the viv you could feel how how it was in there. The heat on the digi thermometer said 40+ degrees. And exceedingly high amount over the correct temps for a corn. Luckily, my corn had managed to hide out in the cool end and the problem was spotted so quickly.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  15:28:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If either of my mats were not statted they would sky rocket. And if they were to ever malfunction the stat would turn them off.

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  15:34:52  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me personally i think for the sake of 25 quid the knowledge that my snakes are safe and that i shouldnt never need worry about accidental burns or potential brain damage or regurges etc is money well spent theres no way on earth id consider not keeping my snakes unstatted im not condemning those that do thats just my personal opinion but i do think you have probably just been very lucky up till now i once tried out one of my mats without running it through a stat and the temperature went up to about 53 that was on a small 6x11 7 watt matt that was working perfectly fine imagine what temp it might reached had it been faulty eeek!!

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  15:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can i ask what heat mats do u all use cos mine never gets to the temp u are all going on about

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  15:40:58  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sue ive used climate heat mats in the past but recently swapped to ultratherm because they hold the temps better and theres next to no fluctuation with the stat just because you havent witnessed a temperature spike doesnt mean you wont for the sake of £25 quid its worth the piece of mind you have some goregous snakes and got forbid anything should ever happen to them a stat is much cheaper than a reptile vet

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  15:43:53  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ive gotta go out and pick up some fish but when i get back hom ill setup an unstatted mat with a digital thermmometer and get a picture just so you can see we arent scare mongering lol

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  15:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh i quite agree my snakes are my babys but wanted to see y every one was so pro stat as i have never had a prob with heat mats on there own i have a good cover of bedding and my snakes are all happy my temps are always spot on the only time they change might be in the very very hot time in summer :)

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  15:49:49  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
do you have digi thermometers hooked up to your set ups?

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  16:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am using Exo Terra Thermometers in both my vivs and my faun ..............even tho i have never had a prob im not sayimng it is right i dont use a stat i just wanted to know y everyonbe is so pro stat if i have to get them then i have to get them end of i just wanted to know y a stat is so very ipmortant when i have never had any probs just using a heat mat :)

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  16:26:04  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Being 'lucky so far' is not a valid arguement for not having a properly statted mat.
You are risking an expesive vet's bill for a scorched snake which will certainly not be happy and I doubt if you would be either. Should the snake survive you would surely not risk it again and have to buy a stat anyway.
You don't know if the temps are dropping below minimum requirements overnight during a cold snap, or getting too high on the off-chance of a hot summer.

For £20 spent now you can be certain that you are doing the best for the welfare of your snake and save the anguish/guilt/unnecessary vet bill/potential stress problems ... and folk jumping on your case.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  16:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Being 'lucky so far' is not a valid arguement for not having a properly statted mat.
You are risking an expesive vet's bill for a scorched snake which will certainly not be happy and I doubt if you would be either. Should the snake survive you would surely not risk it again and have to buy a stat anyway.
You don't know if the temps are dropping below minimum requirements overnight during a cold snap, or getting too high on the off-chance of a hot summer.

For £20 spent now you can be certain that you are doing the best for the welfare of your snake and save the anguish/guilt/unnecessary vet bill/potential stress problems ... and folk jumping on your case.

this is y i am asking if i am wrong fro not using a stat if it is a case of i have been lucky then i am very luck i also sid that if i have to get stats then i have to get stats this is y i started this thred as i wanted to know y everyone is so pro stat and it my temps are not right then i would im sure be having shed feeding and god knows what else probs but i am not having these so my temps must be ok

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  16:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Digital exo terra thermometers? Not the strips? Strips arent that accurate. I use the exo terra. I use a range of different heatmats, microclimate etc etc. They all can go over 30 degrees if unstated and running constantly. As an experiment, I purchased one that I intended to use in a viv from pets at home. The girl in the reptile dept told me I would not need a stat as that particular mat didnt go over 30 degrees. So I set it up and thermometer-ed it. The temp was up ay 35 degrees.

Certainly no ones giving you a telling off. No one can tell you how to keep your corns, we can only but offer advice on what we view is a safer way to house cornsnakes. xxx

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  16:52:06  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not getting at you either, just pointing out the pros and cons. We can only give advice based on experience. In the end it is up to you to follow it.

Agree that the strips and dial thermometers are not accurate enough, go for the digital type with probes.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  16:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

I'm not getting at you either, just pointing out the pros and cons. We can only give advice based on experience. In the end it is up to you to follow it.

Agree that the strips and dial thermometers are not accurate enough, go for the digital type with probes.

on god know i dont think anyone is getting at me lol i new i would be in for a telling off but i also know that no one means to have a go at me it all for the snakes best intrest i was only asking if a stat was so important as i have never had any probs not having 1 :)

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  17:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its not scare mongering. when i first started i wasn't told i'd need a stat just a heat mat. after joining here and reading up i soon went and got myself one. i've had a ood scare on a couple of occassions where the stat probe has moved domehow and i twigged it at 42 degrees (and that was through a glass plate the mat was stuck to and a faun with legs!! That scared the hell out of me. same as mamma though lucky my wee dude wasn't in his warm hide. quickly put that to rights by gluing the stat down. honestly though the damage an unstatted mat can do is horrendous. there was one on the fb page that i'll bump so you can see it if your on. really makes you think.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000