Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  01:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you know what I currently keep, what I have kept previously, for how long or anything about me for that matter?

I think you should back off a bit.

I'm not the only one that thinks its irrisponsible to not have a stat.

Sorry sue for hijacking the thread. X

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  07:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed, what's all this nonsense about having more snakes than others got to do with anything?!

ALL of my snakes (see my sig) are run on statted heat sources. I think it's hugely irresponsible not to bother, especially when the best reason you can come up with for doing so is "it's been fine so far". Snakes can and do get burnt as a result of not having stats, fires can and do get started as a result of not having stats, and keepers can and HAVE lost entire collections due to not using a stat.

Keeping a snake on an unstatted heat source is dangerous and poor husbandry, plain and simple, no matter how many snakes you have or how long you have been keeping them.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  08:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine used to not use stats.

And then a heatmat over heated, caught fire and killed the occupant. Could have been avoided for £20.

And it doesn't matter how many snakes you have, doesn't mean you're keeping them correctly, and it's only a matter of time before Lady Luck takes off.

Edited by - Spreebok on 21/02/2012 08:09:15
Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  09:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well in that case the biggist selection of snakes reptile shop in essex needs to be shut down after 3o years with no problems because you say need a stat.

Moveing on enjoy your day haha

Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  09:43:14  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danny

Well in that case the biggist selection of snakes reptile shop in essex needs to be shut down after 3o years with no problems because you say need a stat.

Moveing on enjoy your day haha

Danny

Actually yes they probably do because i dread to imagine over the last 30 years how many people they have given bad advice too! as already pointed out i doubt they are keen to advertise any losses or probblems and considering the fact they probably only pay 10-15 quid per hatchling for their snakes from their suppliers they probably dont want to pay for a 25 quid piece of kit to keep them
unstatted mats do not only pose a serious burn risk or fire hazard but can also cause serious neurological problems if you use stats once you transfer your snakes to vivs why on earth wouldnt you use them in your fauns too ?

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  09:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As said ive had no problems neither have the other people get that in to your head and give it a rest hence why they wont say anything is because you gabble on the best way is just to agree with you along with a little pat on the head.

Well when the owner allso owns the reptile sanctury in rainham with the 2nd biggist pythin in the uk, id say he knows what he is doing its one awards and all sorts which is far more than yourself,they dont have a website as it wasnt needed word and mouth spread gave them far more than enough custom :) keeping things up to cros and full grown iggys good day ladies and gentleman and those who arent quite shaw

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  10:55:14  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Notice how i unlike you dont resort to a childish condescending tone when trying to make my point i dont claim to be an expert or claim that i am right and you are wrong simply that there is a better way of doing things i think your attitude is extremely chidldish and inappropiate everyone is entitled to their opinion right or wrong however you are just making yourself look rather stupid !

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  11:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulie78

Notice how i unlike you dont resort to a childish condescending tone when trying to make my point i dont claim to be an expert or claim that i am right and you are wrong simply that there is a better way of doing things i think your attitude is extremely chidldish and inappropiate everyone is entitled to their opinion right or wrong however you are just making yourself look rather stupid !

Clicked because I like this comment

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

scott1102
Egg

65 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  11:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think this has gotten out of hand and a moderator should close it lol

I think theres right and wrongs on both sides. I currently dont use a stat as i have an exo terra plastic terranium which has sort of stilts/legs on each corner giving it a 2 inch gap roughly so the heat mat isnt anywere near touching.

But at the same time i understand the concern in having a stat and when shes big enough to move in to her proper size viv (which hopefully isnt too long away now) then i will be indeed "statting" up and using as many safety tools as possible.

But at the moment she seems fine in her little plastic viv lol i check the entire thing every time i fully clean her out and see no scorch marks or discolouring of the plastic and like said earlier, she feeds,sheds,acts brilliantly.
Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  11:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It works either way as said ages ago, if you use one ofcourse people are going to say tou must have one but you can not use one theres no argument about that i said this topic is dead a long time ago but u kept replying trying to make your point.
i did say i no your point and a stat is reccomended yes but this does not meen it is a must still. its proven that both methods work but a stat is advised when u get your first snake from then on you shall always use them and say you must have to others which isnt the case, as said once again i use some on some setups and not on others as there not a must but advised. im not the only one there are many they just keep quiet to avoid all this which is the best thing to do i dont take back anything ive said in any post on this topic. lets hope it gets locked for everyones sake.

All the best danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  11:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well im convinced and have 2 stats on the way not sure how to use 1 for the hole lot so have ordered 2 will be getting a 3re as soon as my baby moves in to his big boy viv i never posted theis thred for a argument and am so sorry it has come to that but i now mst add to this by saying i am 100% pro stat if it is going to make sure that my babys are safe then i will spend what i need to just to make sure 6 years is not a long time keeping snakes and im still learning as i beliver we all are for the hole time of keeping snakes :)

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  11:59:24  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Threads like these always get out of hand, in some ways it's what makes them better threads than the "my snakes eyes are cloudy" threads.
What I have disliked about this thread is only the way that 1 member has phrased his comments, the entire point of a forum is for opinions and a bit of quibbling back and forth in threads like this, but when spoken to as if we're mentally retarded then I don't like that.

Your 1 post just above this scott1102 is similar to another persons in content, but not in phrasing, so you'll probably find that you are responded to sensibly as well instead of a jump down your throat manner.

On the whole point of mats without stats, I currently have 2 kingsnakes and 2 boas that are running without stats, they are also running without a heat source. I had a power surge that fried 2 stats when I was at work, it's been easier to leave them without heat for the past 10 days than it has to get my brother to replace the stats, although I know he could do it easily enough, I just like to do it myself.
Now I'm back from work, I can replace and sort as required, shall still need his help, it's a 2 man job to replace those stats, but it means I can feed these guys in about 3 days as well.

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  12:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More for your sake.

Back to the original question...

The majority of keepers use stats, you are not wrong not using a stat but its not ideal, I personally advise that you use stats for all set ups. Because the ifs and buts out weigh everything else.

I hope that you have found an answer and not more confusion from out posts.

All the best

Georgina

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  12:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started writing that post, three posts up xx

Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  12:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
indeed as said myself stats are reccomended as well as everyone else reccomeding the same thing.
But for the people not uesing a stat its unfair that they get cornered by several members saying you must have one your snake is going to get burnt. As this isnt always the case for those who have fauns set up correctley without one because then they are just scared to have a input which is unfair and if anything your ganging up on people when there snakes are absolutley fine the way they are. its only the numpties that actally stick mats to the bottom of the faun that can start to have problems if done correctley its fine.

Anyway what is the outcome to this topic??? YES stats are reccomended and should be used as stated a long time before all this happened, but still not a must and that's the end of it.

Simples:)

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  12:47:11  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
can we lock this now please?

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

scott1102
Egg

65 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  12:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry if i sound familiar to another post. i was just generally telling the truth. i see good points from both sides and im sort of in the middle as i currently dont have a stat but i intend to be alot more safety cautious when it comes to a big wooden/glass viv

I just like to be more diplomatic then jumping on anyone
Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  13:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont worry mate everyone is entitled to a input as the Admin said thats the whole point of a forum ;)im sure if your temps are fine and you have a reasonable air gap and your happy then all shall be fine untill you want to upgrade to a bigger viv :)

All the best
Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  13:41:10  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Simply put, stats will stop your heat sources overheating, it's not a matter of IF they will, it's WHEN they will.
Unregulated heat sources will always overheat at some point.

quote:
Originally posted by scott1102

sorry if i sound familiar to another post......

You may have misunderstood what I meant, the content of the post was similar (saying similar things) but the way you said it was much more polite (you said it like a decent person) whereas the other posts are very much talking down to us as if we were scum and that someone knew better than everyone else.

Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  13:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is correct phill but once reached maximum tempature i.e mat being on 24/7 then this can be altered to get the correct tempatures.

Can we move on yet ?

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000