Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  23:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
indeed i have, i can see if it gets left for days and the mat being stuk to the faun then there is a issue, but this isnt the case for the people that dont use them my faun is raised far away from the mat, the one pictured would be impossible to happen the way my faun is set up its checked 2wice minumum daily with the faun being removed from the mat plus pads whist being handled or whatever.
temps are fine etc etc it all depends how it is set up if you dont know what you are doing and its just lest then bad news can happen as seen and proved.

But if you do it correctley corns can be kept without them as allso being proved for many years with no issues just depends on the person and what they no rather than just sticking a mat to it and being left with no stat then theres a problem.

Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  23:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if the mats overheat? how does your 'correctly' set up faun fair then?

for the sake of £22 i personally think its worth it.

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)

Edited by - Georgina on 20/02/2012 23:46:45
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  23:54:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It doesn't matter if your faun is far away from the mat, the mat could over heat the next think it comes into contact with which then heats the faun. Having stuff sandwiched in-between doesn't stop heat transfer.

You also can't be there 24/7. If it was a cold day you would have a mat on, but what if it gets too hot and your not there to turn the mat off? The fact is heat mats are designed to heat so many animals, spiders, fancy rodents, needing like just a tad above room temp to higher temps, unless you have some way of controlling that heat you have no control over what temperature the mat decides to throw out. If my heatmats somehow all stayed at one tempretaure and were manufactured that way, I'd be screwed! Corns have a max hot end of 30 and my king likes it hotter., we might only think yes its only a couple of degrees, what harm can it do yet, we certainly feel the change of a couple of degrees as humans and know when something is too hot to our preference.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  00:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
indeed all is true but as said i have no problems neither does many snake owners (experts) one of which has a shop with over 500 snakes (corns with no mats) once in a bigger viv i use a stat as there is much more of a open space to control

its all ifs and buts but the number of snakes this happens to is minimal the minamal ones being people that go in to a reptile shops not wanting a snake then comeing home and doing it all incorectley. mine is fine the other members are fine which i believe has 6 snakes all without them with no problems. Its all a warning of what can happen so this can be used to prevent that from happning and a must by item

Advised? Yes! reccomended? yes! can you have a happy healthy corn without one? yes.... Not a must but highley advised but thousends of keepers can be happy without them me being one untill shes in a 4footer

Danny

Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  00:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it happens rarley and almost ever because tha majority of people are responsable owners and have stats.

is it really worth it? for that sake of £22 and proving a point?

Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  00:30:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have stats bits and bobs here there and everywhere i use them for my breeding bearded dragons but not a faun so do other people on here with no problems aswell as the bigist reptile shop/breeder in essex morph spesh for over 30 years with not one issue, im comfortable as said it should still be advised to a novice and then on they get used 24/7 by that person A MUST HAVE so to speak,

Not going to argue with you both factors have been proved and both are acceptable if done correctley.

Im more than happy with my setups and envirements and so are spesialists which know far more than someone keeping a couple hear and there we are talking in the hundreds possibley close to thousends not 1 problem over 3o years cold blooded in rainham id say thats well cared for animals and a bloody good reputation. where as there words and experts words shall be taken over your 2 pets im afraid :}

Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  00:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would ask you not to assume that i am merely a 'pet' owner as you put it.

using a stat has been proved to work correctly and save the lives or reptiles.

not using one has been luck and proven only by word of mouth.

novice or not, it is advised.

and as previously said is it worth, all be it maybe a 1 in a 1000, risk not to have one?

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  00:53:29  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Read the instructions on heatmats, it says something along the lines of "with animals that have a specific heat requirement and cannot regulate temperatures then a thermostat should be used"
I shall find the scan I made ages ago.

In my opinion (and any other reptile keeper that is any good) running vivs/fauns without stats with animals that cannot regulate their temperature would be about as responsible as keeping a human baby in an airing cupboard. They'll be ok in there, they'll be warm wont they????*

*=May contain sarcasm and stupidity that shouldn't be copied

/edit
You may find that reports of people killing their reptiles due to heat exposure isn't heard of as often because of admittance of incorrect housing and/or stupidity or ignorance regarding advice.

/ninja edit
pic with highlighted bit:

Click for massiverer
Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  00:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As i said myself it is (advised) and i dont disagree with that at all. What i disagree with is people that have beed (Advised) to use one start saying to experianced keepers that have been succesfull for many many years saying you must get this you must get that and trying to make them feel uncomfortable for no reson. once you use one you shall ovusley sware by it i allso use them on some set ups but certainley dont sware by them i have spares and im sure other people do but they may not youse them on there fauns if they feel happy with temps etc its not always a must.

If it makes you happy georgina i shall add one tommorow i may even send you a pic of the stat it if you really want wooo :)
it shant be staying there for the time being though

All the best
Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  01:04:35  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it's quite simple really.
Heatmats DO get hotter than the perfect 28c, anyone that thinks an unstat'd one will stay permanantly at the perfect temp really does need to have their thermometers calibrated.
Even the little digi probe thermos aren't as accurate as you think, the best by far are IR ones, but we still recommend digis because of how cheap they are and are only a degree or 2 out, instead of potentially being in double figures out.
If a heat mat ever feels more than fractionally warm, then it's to hot.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  01:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not advised

imperative.

synonyms of imperative:- urgent, vital, important, compulsory, essential, crucial.

Antonyms of imperative:- inessential, optional, secondary, unnecessary, voluntary.

Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  01:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed they shall never br perfect but can be as good as dam it even stated they wont actally be degree perfect as said snakes regulate there tempature.

Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  01:15:53  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I can regulate my temp by moving in front of a fire and away from it, that's the same way that reptiles do.
Aside from moving closer or further from heat source they cannot regulate it like humans.

Thermoregulation is the ability of an organism to keep its body temperature within certain boundaries, even when the surrounding temperature is very different.

Reptiles cannot do that, they either move or they overheat or get to cold.

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  01:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if a snake need to warm it for example to digest, it will go to the hot side of the tank regardless to the temp and will burn itself before realising it is to hot. they are un able to thermoregulate, hence why 99% of keepers have stats as it is our responsiblity to do it for them.

Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  01:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
indeed but this thread is not really going snywhere yes it is advised for a stat yes u can sussefully not have one and my hatchy moves round settles and moves round fine. aswell as many others so its pretty dead really no set up can be perfect because there is no perfect :)

all the best
Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  01:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There is no perfect, but there is an ideal.

I wonder if I could keep a goldfish in a teacup?? Yes I could, but it's not right.

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  01:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but there can be a better set up than one without a stat, one with a stat. if you have a stat then there is NO reason not to use it.

Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  01:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and its far less than 99% by farrrr and all this is known you are just repeating what got said above but i cant c any one in this topic that has got temp problems so why has that been stateed? and i know this as bearded dragons are the oposite they cool down by opening there mouth ad moveing away from the heat source.. Anyway as said its a dead end on this one

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  01:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danny

and its far less than 99% by farrrr and all this is known you are just repeating what got said above but i cant c any one in this topic that has got temp problems so why has that been stateed? and i know this as bearded dragons are the oposite they cool down by opening there mouth ad moveing away from the heat source.. Anyway as said its a dead end on this one

Can anyone translate the first part of this post for me please, it barely makes sense to me.
Thanks in advance -K

Go to Top of Page

danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
369 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  01:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and as said my faun is protected ive no reason two either my temps are fine so dont need to neither did the other user keeping 6 which is far more than you sweetie and for much longer, now im going to be sensible like the other sensible people not useing a stat and not reply any more and get to bed toodles

Danny

1x staffy-Roxy
I x iguana-zilla
Several tessera corns
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000