Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  20:32:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody win any money? Who did yous all have? RIP Synchronised :( A great horse and a sad loss!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  20:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nope, im down £8 :(

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  21:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just disgusted. Shameless animal abuse.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  21:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Tell me you're not serious?

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  21:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deadly serious.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  21:11:54  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree, it is just not sport when animals are killed so regularly. 2 this year and the same last year, if they feel the national has to continue then they need to seriously change the height of the fences.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  21:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninja Girl

I love the colour of your western hognose snake, Very beautiful and soz for your loss katie, I love horses :)

thankyou, hes my special little man, hes only teeny, he started feeding again today after a 4 week fast x

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  21:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Deadly serious.

Then ya don't know much about the sport. I've plenty of contacts in racing and we own a horse. Treated better than you could even believe!

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  21:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't need to own a horse to have an opinion. I'm not saying horse racing or horse riding is abuse, I rode horses for many years myself. I'm saying forcing horses over jumps that can injure them so badly they have to be put out of their misery where they fall is absolutely disgusting. Whether this is the jumps design or the horses inability to jump it shouldn't come to any animal having to die in the name of sport/entertainment. Do the jumps actually add anything to the race other than danger?

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  21:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after protests by 'animal lovers' a while back, they did actually reduce the height of the fences in the national,(beechers used to be 6'6", now none are above 5ft)
BUT... what's happened now is that because the fences are lower, so the general speed of the race as a whole has risen, leading to MORE horses falling, and consequently a higher incidence of loss of injured animals.

talk about not thinking it through....

apparently they're now considering putting the fence heights back up to what they used to be

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  21:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at the end of the day, its what they are bred for, to run that race. just like we breed animals to eat, to feed to our animals. all we can do is look at how we can improve the saftey of the race, which is what they are doing. x

Go to Top of Page

nicoleleadbetterx
Egg

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  22:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got to agree with the ones saying its animal abuse. dont agree with it 2bh...
Go to Top of Page

kat99
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  23:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the horses woodnt jump the jumps if they didnt want 2 n its only harnessing there wild nature 2 jump over obseticals n look at the loose horses who carried on jumping if the didnt like or want 2 do it they woodnt do it

kat99
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  00:34:45  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Always wondered, once a horse breaks its leg is it impossible for it to heal or something? I never hear of a horse breaking its leg and then it walking again it's always pts. I always thought it was because the horse could no longer race or really be used any more but I honestly have no idea. Just seems a tad sad if they can walk again that they get pts because they can no longer race or what ever.

I've never bought a loto tickets so I didn't even think to bet on horse.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  01:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not impossible stapey no, although this obviously depends on the break itself. A friend of mine's horse broke his leg, Solo was his name. He had to be harnessed to the ceiling for 6 months to let it heal. Obviously due to the industry of racing this isn't possible for most thoroughbreds. They're competition horses, athletes! They generally don't do well as pets. You couldn't simply leave them in a field to fend for themselves like. That's where we have the issue of starving abandoned horses starting!

As Georgina said, thoroughbreds are bred to run. Specifically they are either flat bred or national hunt bred (jumps). The latter is a stockier type of horse with a natural ability to jump fences at speed. (We have one of them in training at the minute). To say lotabob, that national hunt racing is the act of ''forcing a horse to jump fences'' is an ignorant statement and shows that you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

I wasn't trying to start a debate here, I was just passing comment about one of the most highly profiled races on the calendar, in the hopes that maybe there are people who share my interest.

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

cheekygit
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  05:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If horses are raised into a harness in order for a broken leg to heal..because obviously they cannot walk on a broken leg...then while in a harness they develop pneumonia and would die suffering even more...hence most leg breaks results in horses being put down to save on sufferin..at the time of the races, the horses are high on adrenaline so don't feel the pain as such. thats why they are put down on the course, before they start to suffer with the injury....god knows if that helps anyone, not trying to be an expert, just repeating what the vet said on tv :)

,Same snake 2yrs apart :)
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  08:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I completely agree!
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  11:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Not impossible stapey no, although this obviously depends on the break itself. A friend of mine's horse broke his leg, Solo was his name. He had to be harnessed to the ceiling for 6 months to let it heal. Obviously due to the industry of racing this isn't possible for most thoroughbreds. They're competition horses, athletes! They generally don't do well as pets. You couldn't simply leave them in a field to fend for themselves like. That's where we have the issue of starving abandoned horses starting!

As Georgina said, thoroughbreds are bred to run. Specifically they are either flat bred or national hunt bred (jumps). The latter is a stockier type of horse with a natural ability to jump fences at speed. (We have one of them in training at the minute). To say lotabob, that national hunt racing is the act of ''forcing a horse to jump fences'' is an ignorant statement and shows that you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

I wasn't trying to start a debate here, I was just passing comment about one of the most highly profiled races on the calendar, in the hopes that maybe there are people who share my interest.

With you all the way on this one Katie, great sport.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  14:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
other half had one of his place 3rd so got £4.50! first time he's bet on a race. its a topic which will always be debated, you would have a hard time forcing a horse to do anything it doesn't want to as my boy proves regulary! there is always a risk that something can go wrong no matter how well designed a course is. there are some aspects of racing that i personaly am not comfortable with but i don't belive any of those horses where forced over them fences, it is horrible that two horses lost their lives but at least vets are on site so the animals do not have to suffer whilst waiting for a vet to arrive. we had a horse break its leg whilst out in the field that poor guy had to wait 45 minuets for the vet to arrive. accidents do unfortunatly happen not matter how much planing and care has been taken

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  14:35:44  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry. Im not one for horse racing. Never in my life put a bet on. Never will. I understand what everyone is saying. I just dont like the idea of horse racing. Same with dogs too. I have a friend who takes in abandoned racing dogs too. Alot of the dogs she takes in are in awful conditions (not saying any of the horses are. Just speaking about the dogs she has taken in)

Each to their own tho Much like im not a fan of hunting either, whereas I know some people are.

I think EVERYONE in their life does or likes something that is taboo and alot of debate over. Debate is good for the soul

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  14:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said mamma xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000