Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  04:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don’t have any experience with handling hatchlings or little ones, but I have had a juvenile that was not handled at all well by her previous owner so had to ‘start from the beginning’ with her, the way I would imagine you would with a hatchling. I hope these notes I made about handling will be of some use to you if you are starting out. I’ll be calling the snake ‘she’ as I don’t like using ‘it’.

One thing you need to remember is that corns are not used to being handled and, to start with, don’t really want to be. They do adjust to us handling them and then come to 'enjoy' the time outside the viv, being able to explore etc.

Ideally it is best to leave your new snake for a week to get over the stress of the move and settle into her new home. That means just changing her water and not feeding her. Don’t worry about the missed feed; even baby corns can easily go for a while without food. After the week is up you need to decide whether you are going to handle your snake before you then feed her. Personally I would do a feed first, because that way the snake is feeling safe having been left alone and is more likely to feed….and it is always good to get that first feed done successfully.

I always fiddle with my snakes' substrate whenever I change their water, just airing it and checking for poo, but it’s a really good way to spread my smell around their viv. When I go to handle them I go in slowly, and again I fiddle with the substrate a bit because that way I am getting their scent on my hands, which I think must help in keeping them calm. It also warns them that I am in their viv so they are not surprised. If you don’t have substrate you can stroke the kitchen roll she is on, the hide she isn't in….slowly and quietly, just spreading your smell around and letting her know she is safe with your hand there. Another trick is to carry an old sock or napkin around with you for a day then put it in the viv. It will pick up your scent and help familiarize the two of you when it comes to handling.

None of my corns come onto my hand....wanting to be picked up, although one does try to slip past me every time I open his door! It is a case of me choosing to pick them up from wherever they are in the viv. I know some people’s corns do come to them, but not all....so don’t worry if yours doesn't. When you do pick her up try not to come at her from above, but rather scoop her up from the sides....that will scare her less. If she is in a hide, remove the hide from the viv if possible and then go to pick her up. Don’t try lifting the hide with one hand and catching her with the other, too much juggling when you need to be concentrating on one thing only….your snake.

Very calmly and confidently scoop her up, using both hands and being careful to support her so she isn’t dangling. Hold her firmly and gently as she WILL try to escape from your grip - but that is a natural reaction for her and you must not react but continue as you are. Hold her fairly firmly but gently to bring her out of the viv. Once you have her out, sit with her and just let her run through your hands, moving one to the other to the other and so on. Covering your lap with a towel is a good idea in case she decides to poo on you. She may seem flighty and scared to begin with...but again, you have to realise it is natural and something both she and you have to get used to. Just be very calm and steady with your movements. I would suggest you don’t have her out for more than 5 minutes (twice a day is fine), and return her gently and calmly to the viv. Repeat again and again and again....and you will begin to notice a difference in her behaviour as she gets used to being handled and will begin to tolerate it more. As she gets used to it so will you and your confidence will grow. You can then lengthen the amount of time you have her out and allow her to begin to explore your body and then around you...but that is a little way off! At the moment it is a case of quality not quantity. All snakes will respond differently, and the same snake may respond differently at different times. You will learn how much handling your snake can tolerate, and she may be happy with more than 5 minutes straight away. Go by how you think she is reacting….and how you feel as well! If you are getting tense and stressed then return her to her viv, if both you and your snake are relaxed then carry on longer.

Another way to approach handling your snake is called "patting down”. Open the door, approaching her slowly. Touch the top of her head with the palm of your hand so the snake knows it is not being fed. Then lift her out using two hands to support her weight. This is especially useful with viv defensive snakes. Like anything else though it has to be done correctly. You present the open palm with fingers together, so the snake has nothing to bite. Once you "pat down" most snakes see they are not being fed etc and you can pick them up.

Everyone is scared of the dreaded first bite. It is barely a noticeable 'grip' with a baby corn, in fact they may bite you without you even being aware of it. If you do feel it, it will be like a pin needle *****, nothing worse. A corn snake does not bite and hold on, unlike some other snakes. IF they do bite, they let go immediately. The biggest thing is to try not to jerk away. This is for the snake’s sake, not yours! Their teeth are not strong and would easily snap off if you responded like that. I know it’s difficult, because it is an almost immediate response to the shock of it happening, but it’s something you need to be aware of. Very few corns are ‘bitey’ and when it does happen it is usually down to the handler surprising/scaring them. For them it is a defence mechanism and they will be trying to pretend they are big and can get you….but they can’t! There are occasionally corns with ‘attitude’, who will strike just to show off, but not many. With these it is a case of ‘grin and bear’ the bites and prove to the snake that it isn’t going to ‘get you’, that you aren’t going to hurt it and it should slowly respond by calming down. But, as I said, these sorts of corns are few and far between.

I, personally, would avoid gloves if possible. You want your snake to get used to your smell and the touch and warmth of your skin, and gloves are just a barrier. Having said that, if you are so scared about being bitten that the only way you are happy to handle her is to wear gloves then that is the way to go. Hopefully, in time, you would be able to feel confident enough to handle her without the gloves. I must admit that I would miss the feel of the snake gliding through my hands - they feel so amazing!

As far as them pooing on you….it is going to happen! I actually prefer my snakes doing it while I am handling them because it keeps their vivs nice and clean. You do learn to look out for the signs and are ready with some kitchen roll to ‘catch’ whatever comes out, you just have to hope you have predicted where your snake is aiming correctly! Usually the snake will go still for a few seconds, their tail will lift up at an odd angle and then you can slip the kitchen roll underneath ready for whatever comes out. Be aware that they can fire it quite a distance….and it stinks!

Your snake will be able to tell you are not confident and that will make her more stressed. It is a case of you needing to 'fake it until you feel it'....behave calmly and gently, with no sudden movements, and she will respond positively to that. Remember, her reaction when you go to pick her up will be a fear response....but that will lessen with time.

Now I can talk from actual experience. When I took on Silvi her previous owner only handled her a couple of times a week if she was lucky, with a glove after being bitten, and she was very obviously underfed. When we went to see her the owner got her out with the glove and Silvi was all over the place, striking and trying to escape....I immediately took her from her owner (with my bare hands) and within a few minutes her movements had calmed down. I think she was truly picking up on the vibes of her previous owner that he was scared of her. When I got her home I treated her as a hatchling, giving her the week to settle in and then only handling her twice a day for a maximum of 5 minutes. To begin with she would try to escape when I went to get her out of her viv (and caused total chaos spreading substrate everywhere!) but after 3 months she would let me pick her up without fleeing from me. The handling sessions lengthened and she became accustomed to me running her through my hands and letting her roam my body. I was able to let her explore a bit, although I always kept a hand on her because she is exceedingly fast and I know that if she decided to she could escape before I could get near her to catch her. I do that with all my snakes, keeping a hand either on or near them, and would advise others to do the same. Now she is just like my other 2, you wouldn't believe she was the same snake.

The Golden Rule - No handling of your snake for 48hrs after she has been fed. Once you know your snake you may be able to change this as some snakes metabolise their food quicker than others, so could be handled after 24hrs but I have always stuck to the 48hrs golden rule as I don’t want to risk disturbing their digestion and causing stress….just so I can have a handle!

It really is a case of time and patience and quality of handling rather than quantity. Take it slow and trust yourself...only when you do that will your snake trust you.

Xxx

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  06:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for taking time to type this up Kellog, I have noticed that there are a few of us newbies at the moment and your advice is more than welcome, I for one really appreciate it

0.1.0 Snow - Cathy (digesting, waiting for her photo op)
0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 King Charles Cavalier - Emily
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
0.0.1 HUGE tropical fish tank + residents
1.0.0 Husband (thinks I am insane)
3.2.0 Children (think I am cool!)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2013 :  08:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad you have found it useful Foxtrotsierra....and that you took the time to read through it all! I do try to write less, honestly , but its hard to know what to leave in and what to take out.

I know how helpful this forum was when I got my first corn and he wouldn't eat. They explained why, kept me sane while I drove them crazy and this is my way of saying thank you. It does help getting all the info about a subject in one place....and some forum members will probably recognise their own advice , but it is the best way to learn. And hopefully the Mods may feel its worth 'stickying' so other newbies can find it easily.

I would say that this forum is a great place to get help and support....and to make new 'snake friends'. I hope you're finding that and encourage you to keep asking questions if you can't find the answers. The only silly question is the one you don't ask!

Thanks again for your comment, it made it all worthwhile .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2013 :  09:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has got to be the best information I've read for new owners, well done putting it together I hope it becomes a 'sticky' so nice and easy for newbies to find

Go to Top of Page

Criminal Nails
Hatchling

Spain
275 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2013 :  10:47:42  Show Profile  Visit Criminal Nails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The tips in here are great ^^ Thanks for taking the time to write it down :) It might help a lot of people!

Criminal Nails .-
0.0.1 Ghost Corn (Discordia)
0.1.0 Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Furia)
Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2013 :  11:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

This has got to be the best information I've read for new owners, well done putting it together I hope it becomes a 'sticky' so nice and easy for newbies to find

MORE than helpful, that is for sure Kellog. I have a CB12 (late Nov) hatchling and although I got her off a reputable breeder, she is a little on the skinny side. I have already made a good friend on here and he has held my virtual hand through my first week. I have upped her feeding schedule already, and she wolfed it down.

The handling tips you have put in are going to be my bible for the coming week - I have already bookmarked the the page. Although Cathy is already quite "at home" she is going to be getting out and about very soon, and to have the information before I need it is invaluable, so thank you so much for taking the time to do it

(and I second what Hissyfit said, it would be very helpful for us newbies)

0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

harry Cornelius
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2013 :  13:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great guide, this really needs to be a sticky!!!!

1.0.0 Carolina - Harry Cornelius
1.0.0 Irian Jaya jaguar carpet python- Monty
0.1.0 cat - Bella
0.0.1 fish - Justin beiber
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2013 :  13:58:57  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's so good that you've felt able to write these tips down kellog and great to see you back on the forum!!
Thanks for all the hard work and time it must have taken to do this.
I agree with the others.....sticky mods please.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2013 :  14:33:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic guide! :D

Go to Top of Page

Thorne Walker
Yearling

Canada
642 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2013 :  18:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 to the sticky idea.

Good job K

1.0.0 CB'11 Volcano Corn 'Kitty'
0.0.1 CB'11 Russian Rat Snake 'Monster'
2.0.0 CB'04 Roof Rabbits 'Baka Neko-San' and 'Usagi Neko-San'

My Setup :http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27228
The Kids: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26248
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2013 :  18:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great guide

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2013 :  07:45:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again everyone, it's so nice to know my work hasn't been in vain !

quote:
Originally posted by Foxtrotsierra

The handling tips you have put in are going to be my bible for the coming week - I have already bookmarked the the page. Although Cathy is already quite "at home" she is going to be getting out and about very soon, and to have the information before I need it is invaluable, so thank you so much for taking the time to do it

Just remember that no way is the right way Foxtrotsierra.. As much as I'd love for my info to be used as a bible , I'm very aware that other people do it different ways and different snakes react differently. It really is a case of learning as you go on and as you get to know your snake and your snake gets to know you. But I don't doubt that Cathy is in good hands .

quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

It's so good that you've felt able to write these tips down kellog and great to see you back on the forum!!

Thanks Herriotfan. You know the forum could never get rid of me totally....I'll always be back , just not as often as I'd like at the moment . But maybe in the future the forum will be subjected to Kellog's essay length comments again !

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2013 :  19:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I know you said there is no right or wrong way Kellog, but today was the first day my youngest (15) felt confident enough to hold Cathy on his own. He read your post and was fantastic with her. He said that he felt much more confident after reading up what you had written, so thank you very much from us all

0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  10:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxtrotsierra

Well, I know you said there is no right or wrong way Kellog, but today was the first day my youngest (15) felt confident enough to hold Cathy on his own. He read your post and was fantastic with her. He said that he felt much more confident after reading up what you had written, so thank you very much from us all

That is so encouraging to hear . I do love it when youngsters are involved with bringing up snakes and who knows, soon your son might want a snake of his own . I'm glad my post helped make him feel more confident about handling her....because that is half the battle, getting over your nerves so you don't pass them on to the snake. Please tell him how pleased I am for him, and you.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Foxtrotsierra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
485 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  10:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will go one better Kellog, I will show him what you have written. He had had a "half hold" of her before with me, but had a lovely 10 minutes with her yesterday on his own, just over the bed with a towel on it and loved every second. Apparently Cathy thinks she is a bracelet! He is already mooting about acquiring a snake of his own, but is happy to help with Cathy at the moment - he is intrigued with her food and helped me get it out ready for her last night, and fluffed the substrate up so we could see where she was this morning. Worked an absolute treat xxx

0.1.0 Carolina - Delilah
0.1.0 St Bernard - Pooch
0.1.0 Manx Cat - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  10:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great thread Ju, thanks for taking the time to write it- I'm sure it will help plenty of people! x

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  10:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks SB....just needs the video you offered to make of handling to be complete , no pressure of course !

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2013 :  10:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did 3, but I've tried uploading them several times and the upload just will not complete. Think I might need to compress them somehow, will look into it today. x

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2013 :  02:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

I did 3, but I've tried uploading them several times and the upload just will not complete. Think I might need to compress them somehow, will look into it today. x

Thanks for taking the time to do them SB. Maybe you need to give our friendly computer whizz Admin a nudge and see if he can help .....and drop a hint about getting this thread stickied as it seems to have got a fairly good response . I look forward to seeing the final result.

Xxx

Go to Top of Page

Popcorn
Snake Mite

21 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  11:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that was soooo helpful. It's makes so much sense, I'm gonna adapt myself to what you said Kellog. Popcorn is due a feed today so I'm gonna handle him first, put him in a separate rub for feeding and dangle food from tonges. Then once its half way down ill put him back in faun. But while he's in rub ill spread my scent over his aspen and see how we go. Once we've got him in our hands he's calm and loves it and exploring. It's just the picking up part I need to work on. Thank you again. X
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  09:02:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Popcorn

........Popcorn is due a feed today so I'm gonna handle him first, put him in a separate rub for feeding and dangle food from tonges. Then once its half way down ill put him back in faun. But while he's in rub ill spread my scent over his aspen and see how we go. Once we've got him in our hands he's calm and loves it and exploring. It's just the picking up part I need to work on. Thank you again. X

I'm glad you found this useful .

I know it's probably too late but personally I don't handle my snakes before a feed. I feel that you need to make a clear distinction between handling time and feeding time....BUT that is only what I do, I'm sure others feel and do differently.

I do hope that he does begin to calm down when you go to pick him up. It's positive that he's fine once he's out, it will just take time for him to get used to you getting him out. But if you put yourself in his scales you'd be pretty terrified if these big hands came at you from above and you weren't sure what they were going to do! It may be that he'll still give a tail rattle occasionally or even always, despite him being happy with you....but that's just him letting you know he can defend himself and nothing to worry about. With some snakes it never goes away, but it isn't an issue. Hopefully it will with Popcorn .

Xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000