a bad and untimely shed...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  11:23:53  Show Profile
hey guys, i went away for a few days this week. I made sure that Cherry was fed and gave her a good clean out before i left. However when i returned yesterday she seemed a bit odd. I got her out and fed her which she reluctantly accepted but regurgitated halfway through. She did eventually eat it. However when i went to look at her an hour later she had shed. Usually this wouldnt be an issue...accept she only shed like three weeks ago and usually she goes about a month and a half between sheds. also all her previous sheds have been perfect and this one was split all the way down the side and looks a bit tatty. its not even noticeably longer or fatter than her last shed. Also her tail hasnt shed properly.
So my concerns are:
Why has she shed so soon after her last shed?
How do i remove the left over skin on her tail?
and what are the possible reasons for a bad shed?

0.1.0 Crimson Corn "Cherry Darling"
0.1.0 Anery Corn "Riff Raff"
0.1.0 Hypo Motley Corn "Magenta"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "Beatrix Kiddo"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "O-Ren Ishii"
0.1.0 Tortoiseshell and White Kitten "Gizmo!"

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  11:43:27  Show Profile
To remove the leftover skin on her tail, you can give her a warm bath, or just soak the end of her tail to remove the skin. I had to do this yesterday with my female, who has had a really bad first shed with me. Bad shed can be due to stress, environment etc. but is mainly due to too little humidity, or lack of a water dish large enough for your snake to soak in. Provide a tub filled with damp sphagnum moss, let her slide through a damp cloth, or place the water dish on top of the heat mat for a while- the warm water will evaporate a little and raise the humidity in the viv.

This should help with shedding. With regards to shedding again too quickly, is there anything that could be irritating her skin, such as mites? Give her a thorough check over and see if there is anything visibly wrong.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  14:21:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

To remove the leftover skin on her tail, you can give her a warm bath, or just soak the end of her tail to remove the skin. I had to do this yesterday with my female, who has had a really bad first shed with me. Bad shed can be due to stress, environment etc. but is mainly due to too little humidity, or lack of a water dish large enough for your snake to soak in. Provide a tub filled with damp sphagnum moss, let her slide through a damp cloth, or place the water dish on top of the heat mat for a while- the warm water will evaporate a little and raise the humidity in the viv.

This should help with shedding. With regards to shedding again too quickly, is there anything that could be irritating her skin, such as mites? Give her a thorough check over and see if there is anything visibly wrong.

Well explained!

Maybe some shed aid or something whatever its called aswell, if problems persist but hopefully it wont
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  15:21:07  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
would'nt worry about the freqency of shedding,just growing faster,but in some cases it can be mites if they shed alot.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  16:15:40  Show Profile
Thanks for all the advice guys
Ive managed to get the tail end off now and she seems fairly calm, not too stressed by the whole thing so maybe im worrying too much. Im hoping it is just that she's having a bit of a growth spurt cos she's a bit on the small size compared to other snakes of her age.I think i'll take her down to get her checked out at the weekend anyway just to be on the safe side.W
hat are other signs of mites that i should look out for?

0.1.0 Crimson Corn "Cherry Darling"
0.1.0 Anery Corn "Riff Raff"
0.1.0 Hypo Motley Corn "Magenta"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "Beatrix Kiddo"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "O-Ren Ishii"
0.1.0 Tortoiseshell and White Kitten "Gizmo!"
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  16:48:33  Show Profile
mites are irritating and so look out for your snake rubbing it's body against things in its viv or soaking a lot in its water bowl to relieve the itching. after a bath look for small black dots in the water, or let your snake slide through a clean white towel or cloth, then look. You can also floor your viv with white kitchen paper for a while and look for them there.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  17:08:28  Show Profile
Hmm.. saw a topic posted by dilly, lemme find.

edit:/ here you are http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3651

Edited by - hillzi on 24/06/2009 17:12:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000